Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Are you forgetting all those blatant miscarriages of justice that occurred back then, Mike: the Guildford Four, the Birmingham Six and those wrongly convicted for murdering Carl Bridgewater? IMO, there were sound reasons why police powers were curtailed, and fitting-up 'stooges' was only one...?

That said, I agree with the general thrust of your post: IMO, there ain't much point in having a police force if it's prevented from carrying-out its purpose. Though surely those entrusted with maintaining the law cannot themselves be exempt from it?

We're not talking about politicians here?

Couldn't agree more the people running those investigations were out of order - what upsets me is that not everybody was like that, me for a start. I think it would have been better prosecuting those responsible and giving them a bit of bird, their lives would have been none to pleasant inside because even villains do not like a bent copper. 

It would have served as a salutary warning to anybody else considering that route and left the existing police powers more or less intact, so the good ones would be able to continue doing their job.

The thing is that even when I was still training, I formulated the idea that I may be posted to an area for the whole of my career and I thought seriously about it, as I do with a good may things and I decided I wanted to build a reputation which was honest, fair but also not standing for any nonsense. 

I must admit that I did come across the occasional colleague who tended to be economic with the truth but I decide that nothing could be worse than lying in the box, not only would you know about yourself, but chummy would also and that would go a long way towards undoing the good work I had tried to build up - if chummy decided to tell lies that was down to him, they usually got found out, but it meant I could continue to hold my head high.

This is also one of the reasons why I get so het up about this brexit malarkey - people who we should trust seem to think nothing of lying through their teeth.

That your honour is the plea for the defence  :D

Very true , however I think the flag/flags  used in the background should be of England and Wales .6EAF06E4-E06A-459B-9FDE-99382E5351A6.jpeg

Edited by Mark wheeler

10 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

and what about the mass grooming scandals ignored by police..that is a far greater failing than the above..and also the fact people still don't want to talk about it...total disgrace 

That's because the whole issue of this wonderful multicultural society would have to be discussed which is taboo for the PC brigade, after all we don't want to upset anyone and appear racist do we.   Its move on nothing to see here.

2 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

6EAF06E4-E06A-459B-9FDE-99382E5351A6.jpeg

By all means dream about it Mark, it doesn't mean to say it will happen - if I had my way there would be no brexit at all and cannot understand people for wanting it. 

3 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

By all means dream about it Mark, it doesn't mean to say it will happen - if I had my way there would be no brexit at all and cannot understand people for wanting it. 

It’s not going to happen mike , I know that , if anything you will get your wish , I’ve thought that for ages now .

9 minutes ago, kent said:

That's because the whole issue of this wonderful multicultural society would have to be discussed which is taboo for the PC brigade, after all we don't want to upset anyone and appear racist do we.   Its move on nothing to see here.

It is in fact inverse racism.

Part of it was because senior officers had forgotten the oath when they first joined, that was to serve without fear or favour and began to cultivate politicians in favour, as it now turns out, of their worthless careers - the rank and file of the lads and lasses at the sharp end were just as appalled as everybody else - apart from anything else as a serving police officer it is not an easy thing to live down. 

Add to that Hillsborough and the South Yorks Police have suffered badly from mismanagement.  

Edited by mike Meehan

4 hours ago, markyo said:

I find it very hard to understand why certain folk want police dogs taken off the streets. Coppers need every tool they can get in dealing with scum like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-44380645

Being a copper today must be one of the most stressful occupations you can imagine,they need every support they can. Having a combined social policy to treat the cause of such crime is needed,but the resultant behaviour also need treating with every possible tool,that includes dogs/horses where needed.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in the job these days Mark.  I agree 100% that if you can you have to try and prevent people offending in the first place, but it really winds me up when I hear these cretins moaning and groaning about the use of Tasers , C.S Spray, Dogs etc. My answer to them is ," you try standing in front of a 6 foot 4  nut job armed with a carving knife when you only have a baton". if they have the bottle, which I  seriously doubt  the majority have.  Damn quick to criticize, and make every excuse imaginable though.:angry: 

2 hours ago, kent said:

Yeah sure, interesting you could say that.

Ever heard of the Iwerne bash camp?  A so called holiday camp for public schoolboys in the late 70s early 80s when John Smythe QC a prominent evangelist and lawyer was in charge of the camp in Dorset.  The boys were made to strip naked and subjected to savage beatings with a cane amongst other perversions.then forced to wear nappies.  When the church received knowledge of the sadomachistis cult that was happening there Smythe was sent abroad and escaped conviction.

Welby was a dormitory officer there at the time and has denied all knowledge of what was going on there.  Uncovered by the church he too disappeared to France for ten years to work for a French company.  When it finally became known to the police many years later Welby still denied any knowledge and described Smythe as a charming man who he has not had contact with since. It has since been known that they exchanged Christmas cards and subsequently has made a public apology saying that maybe the church should have acted sooner.

Channel 4 did a documentary on it and to this day has disclosed a lot of questions still remain unanswered.

Furthermore on my post that Welby has no business in meddling an article today in the Telegram said it was a terrible error for Welby to publicly embrace EU utopianism.   

He has publicly admitted he is a Francophile and lists his interests as almost everything French.

Don't preach to me about the virtues of so called eminent religious figures because life has taught me that whenever any scandal occurs they are usually right up there at the front of the queue and subsequently all hushed up by their elders.

Hello Kent,

I am very confused as you have the quote to which you reply from Weipig, whereas in fact is was from me. Goodness knows how that happened.

There is always a lot of funny going- ons in Dorset

I am unable to comment on the issue that you have described as I did not see the documentary and do not condemn anyone on heresay. Likewise I would never have commented on allegations against Ted Heath or Peter Pan (sorry I mean Cliff Richard).

As far as being a Fracophile I was not aware that to be a heinous crime almost akin to treason.

I know that I sometimes produce in jest my thought for the day and end with "here endeth today's lesson" but I did not preach to you or anyone else on the virtues of political figures. All I did was state that he was at one time a high flyer in the City and I stand by that as a reason that his views should be considered. The fact that you believe that he may have acted inappropriately with young boys, although terrible if true, is neither here nor there in his ability to give a reasoned argument economic or otherwise on remaining within the EU.

Changing the subject completely a few years back my wife and I were staying in West Bourne and went for the day to Poole. The weather was so bad we went into the Museum and we felt very much at home. It was a year or so after the World Scout jamboree was held in Hylands Park, Chelmsford (where the defunct V festival was held) and because of your local areas connection with the Scouting movement (Brownsea Island and all that) there was a very interesting photographic display of the Chelmsford Jamboree.

There was also a section displaying old household appliances and one of those was the world's oldest electric toaster made by Crompton Parkinson in Chelmsford.

Kind Regards

Dave

3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Good riddance to him ! A vile odious hate peddler.

Perhaps Trump might offer him a job!

The Guardian already have 😁

17 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

It is in fact inverse racism.

Part of it was because senior officers had forgotten the oath when they first joined, that was to serve without fear or favour and began to cultivate politicians in favour, as it now turns out, of their worthless careers - the rank and file of the lads and lasses at the sharp end were just as appalled as everybody else - apart from anything else as a serving police officer it is not an easy thing to live down. 

Add to that Hillsborough and the South Yorks Police have suffered badly from mismanagement.  

its not just south Yorkshire these mass grooming cases of young girls have been popping up all over the country with the same results..the police knowing what was happening but willing to scarifice our children on the alter of PC in case they are called racist etc...this is what i mean by limp wristed..but if i call you a bad name online they will be round knocking my door down...bar stewards

Edited by cheeky_monkey

10 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

What a shame 😉. He will be sorely missed by the thousands of his readers .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-44391449

Hello Mark,

I am truly devastated at the news. Who will now be editor of this wonderfully balanced and fair newspaper/ Perhaps the job should be given to one of the following:-

JRM

Nigel Farage

John Redwood

Kent.

Perhaps for a bit of fun others could choose who they would like to see at the helm

Kind Regards

Dave

20 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

I certainly wouldn't want to be in the job these days Mark.  I agree 100% that if you can you have to try and prevent people offending in the first place, but it really winds me up when I hear these cretins moaning and groaning about the use of Tasers , C.S Spray, Dogs etc. My answer to them is ," you try standing in front of a 6 foot 4  nut job armed with a carving knife when you only have a baton". if they have the bottle, which I  seriously doubt  the majority have.  Damn quick to criticize, and make every excuse imaginable though.:angry: 

Really well put,that is the point i was trying to get over,yes a combined approach needs to be addressed,but at the sharp end is the copper on their own. They need ever tool we can give them.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/05/dutch-reported-crime-rate-continues-to-fall-new-cbs-report-shows/

A few on here have argued that certain methods work in Holland/Denmark etc. Looks like they don't really grasp the problem. Read the whole article to get my point.

Edited by markyo

1 minute ago, 78/79 said:

The Guardian already have 😁

Nice try ! 😛

If I had my way the Mail, Express and Telegraph would be shut down , I’d do an Erdogan !

1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

What a surprise,  it's an American company after all, course they will expand here now. They expect us to partner up with the USA after brexit. Something I do not want, but it is where we may be heading.

What an 'orrible thought...in twenty-years' time, Britain's most popular names could be Chad, Chip and Junior!:shok:

Just now, Ed Stone said:

What an 'orrible thought...in twenty-years' time, Britain's most popular names could be Chad, Chip and Junior!:shok:

I quite fancy changing my name to Elmer , Pete.😁😁

17 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Mark,

I am truly devastated at the news. Who will now be editor of this wonderfully balanced and fair newspaper/ Perhaps the job should be given to one of the following:-

JRM

Nigel Farage

John Redwood

Kent.

Perhaps for a bit of fun others could choose who they would like to see at the helm

Kind Regards

Dave

I don’t think JRM will be available he will be busy being prime minister in a couple of months although osbourne managed 2 jobs for a few weeks 🧐🧐, but I would punt for Katie Hopkins .

Edited by Mark wheeler

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Dont worry he is not retiring he has been promoted :)

Will probably see The MoS editorials swing Right again; in last couple of years The MoS has not been so Right wing as the DM.

22 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Mark,

JRM

Nigel Farage

John Redwood

Kent.

Kind Regards

Dave

Perhaps for a bit of fun we should have a day of non censorship when we could really tell the truth of what we thought of each other no holds barred.

17 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Dont worry he is not retiring he has been promoted :)

Exactly, even more right wing propaganda on it's way, and any wiff of center ground, let alone left wing will be removed/sacked.

Measurements of e.g. nose dimensions are so last century.

Edited by scottish skier

2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Christ Almighty, the buggers'll be inciting yobs to smash-in foreign-owned shopfronts next! Plenty of time until November 9!:angry:

30 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Not directly linked to your post above SS but when I saw your post with David Lammy it made me think 💭, I have never seen a representative from the SNP that was anything other than white, a quick search reveals two that are not  , which surprised me as Scotland is now a open to immigration and also surely has large amounts of black citizens, I’m surprised ,Why is the party set up like this in such a diverse country? , if this is the case why on face value ( and i am willing to stand corrected ) have the snp not got more people representing them that are non white , The Conservative party and indeed the Labour Party both have no problem in this aspect and is something until today that I have never thought about ?. Indeed on more reflection there should be more ethnic minority representation in England but it seems this is an issue.

https://www.snp.org/your_team

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_minority_politicians_in_the_United_Kingdom

Edited by Mark wheeler