Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

16 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

He is basically proposing to stay in the EU Ignoring the majority of the voters who decided to make their vote count in the historic most democratic vote this country has ever seen 

Jeremy Corbyn appears to have sold out his decades-long position on the EU and backed a bosses’ Europe where the UK becomes a rule-taker to the internal market. Here is Corbyn’s new amendment in which he seems to pledge to sign up to EU rules on state aid and free movement:

https://order-order.com/2018/06/05/corbyn-backs-bosses-europe-with-fantasy-internal-market-amendment/

Lol  that will go down well in the Midlands and the North   largest reason why people voted leave was due to immigration  Cornyn wants to keep it  glug glug   

Can anyone help with the Tory position on Brexit, as they certainly do not appear to have a consistent position?

Considering they are the in power, well supposedly anyway, their position is the most important.one

4 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44357580

Personally whilst we do need to improve our infrastructure, Heathrow seems a like a really poor idea when airports in the north of England and parts of Scotland could really need improvements which would of course offer more opportunities to the cities in the north of the UK. Add to that airports such as Stansted and Luton could possibly be expanded with far less cost in terms of compensation and environmental impacts.

This is one area where I do actually agree with Boris, though to be honest whether he is personally against it or whether he is behaving like this to hold onto votes is another matter.

Another example of the UK investment being centred towards the South East. 

10 hours ago, claret047 said:

Good Morning Kent

What truly wonderful news.

People like certain posters on here will be fully empowered to promote their hate-filled rhetoric. Having said that the hard left are no better. 

What is wrong with a centrist approach where common interests, desires and ambitions unite people rather than extreme stirrings from both ends of the political spectrum.

Come clean Kent are you really as extreme as you make out or do you write in the way you do to provoke a reaction?  If you are representative of a sizeable percentage of the populous I seriously worry about the future of this country.

In another posting you give your views on democracy, which in part I agree with. It is, however, diminishing under the current government. Late yesterday afternoon i watched the Parliament Channel and the Secretary of State for Transport giving a statement on the current debacle on the railways. He is the chap at the top of the tree as far as Network Rail is concerned and it is he who is in charge of the Department of Transport. Also he is responsible for the managing of the various Rail franchises . Not once when pressed to do so did he admit responsibility for anything and passed the buck onto Network Rail, the rail companies and the experts that he appointed to oversee the implementation of the new timetables.

In the past ministers have resigned under the doctrine of ministerial responsibility for issues far less than the current crisis but it does not happen under this Government. The PM is so weak she is unable to sack him and so we continue to see a totally ineffective Secretary of State insitu and we just have to put up with it.. That is democracy at work at its finest.

Kind Regards

Dave

Chris Grayling is a useless minister, even his Tory colleagues queuing up to attack his performance. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44360017

1 hour ago, mike Meehan said:

"Additionally I would like to point out that no complaint has gone to Paul. Unlike when I questioned whether Mike was in contact with Brussels officials. I got banned for that, basically as it was considered to be 'personal'  and I was told that I ignored 'reason'."

Master of attempted spin again I see but the reason I made a complaint was not you questioning whether I heard personal contact with Brussels but because you made a personal remark which attacked my integrity - I feel that this should be corrected but otherwise leave it at that -  I have no wish to raise old stories such as this. 

I will agree that the level of taxation has to be finely balanced because if it is too high people are likely to try and find ways of avoiding it and as a result it becomes counter productive as far as raising revenue is concerned.

I'm afraid I did not get that bit about. 'Outside - all love and compassion,  but inwardly are  seething that they have not had their way and full of hate, for anyone who dares to challenge/question their views.' I think I can guess what you are getting at but it is not altogether clear. 

If you are saying what I think you are saying, in general the remain side try to put up well constructed views, supported by facts and also ask questions of the leave side but invariably they are  ignored and it is quite rare, speaking for myself that when I put forward a point of view and ask a question of a leaver, that I get a coherent reply - often if there is a reply it is one which avoids the question posed altogether. 

You see, we are all goodness and light and only want which is best for our country which is not brexit. However, you can't deny that on the part of the leavers there is evasiveness at times, something I generally don't like because it often means that people have something to hide. 

Nothing more to say on this guv.   :D

Mike..

Thanks for confirming it was you who complained!.

Paul refused to give me the name of the person who complained, but I knew, 

I too have no reason to carry on. But just to say that being called a liar on multiple occasions by the denizens of the wolf hound pack doesn't seem to concern you so much, judging by your likes?

Suggesting that not all policemen have  always been correct or presented unbiased opinions seems  a  trivial comment  these days? Strange that you should take it personally.

By the way  you have never 'come out'. Are you in fact in direct contact with the Brussels hierarchy?

PS I enjoyed the master of attempted spin comment. Coming from you, it was a complement. 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

3 hours ago, kar999 said:

The sector accounts for almost 80 per cent of the economy, so this survey of purchasing managers is followed closely. It suggests that GDP is on course to grow by between 0.3 per cent and 0.4 per cent in the second quarter, much better than the 0.1 per cent of the first quarter.

So down by 20% on last year then for the same period.

That would certainly fit the continuing downward trend since 2015 anyway. 

EDIT

1% or so (as per the above) would certainly fit on the end of this neatly:

united-kingdom-gdp-growth-annual.thumb.png.ebe63bb0fd5e4e21d856cf6e58a42275.png

Growth would have basically halved since the brexit vote.

EDIT, the retail sales news is better given:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44366303

However, the BRC noted that retail conditions remained tough, with growth "very low by historical standards".

Last month's sunnier weather tempted shoppers out to the shops after the freezing start to 2018, the BRC survey found.

Sales were also helped by the two bank holidays and the marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

Let's hope for a couple of bank holidays and a royal wedding this month again. And some sunshine! 😉

Edited by scottish skier

2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Mike..

Thanks for confirming it was you who complained!.

Paul refused to give me the name of the person who complained, but I knew, 

I too have no reason to carry on. But just to say that being called a liar on multiple occasions by the denizens of the wolf hound pack doesn't seem to concern you so much, judging by your likes?

Suggesting that not all policemen have  always been correct or presented unbiased opinions seems  a  trivial comment  these days? Strange that you should take it personally.

By the way  you have never 'come out'. Are you in fact in direct contact with the Brussels hierarchy?

MIA

Indeed Mia  if I complained every time someone took a pop at  me  there would be no bugger here   

23 minutes ago, J10 said:

Chris Grayling is a useless minister, even his Tory colleagues queuing up to attack his performance. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44360017

Cor J10...

It seems the Tories have more 'nous' than did the the Labour MP's in the 2005 - 2009 period!

Up until then it was understood that one had to step down.

MIA 

4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Indeed Mia  if I complained every time someone took a pop at  me  there would be no bugger here   

Yep..

We all know it is the leavers that are the moaners!

Good at dishing it out comes to mind..

MIA

14 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

So down by 20% on last year then for the same period.

That would certainly fit the continuing downward trend since 2015 anyway. 

EDIT

1% or so (as per the above) would certainly fit on the end of this neatly:

united-kingdom-gdp-growth-annual.thumb.png.ebe63bb0fd5e4e21d856cf6e58a42275.png

Climate Change chart alert!!!

The chart started  well before the ref was even mentioned.  The chart shows a linear trend?

Look closer and you will see it increased from the ref vote, until the expected inflation brake applied.

Looks to me as if the accelerator is being pressed pretty hard again now though.

I wondered how long it would take before a  naturally  optimistic streak would appear! :yahoo:

.sarc off

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

It's a huge surprise, let's see what happens when we have left, and it will depend on what deals we get both with and without the EU. 

As i've said before in here i cannot see the likes of BMW CEO and others just accepting any EU-27 political hard-ball play re trade with UK post-Brexit. The elected politicians in Germany, France, etc know there has to be trade incl cars with UK, otherwise large co CEOs in those countries plus trade unions representing 000s of workers will just not accept a stalemate.

This rule taker myth has been overdone . There’s no point in diverging for the sake of it. Many of the EU rules and standards are now used internationally anyway.

You’ll have to comply to rules if you want to sell into the EU just as you would with any other country .

It should be up to future parliaments to decide the trade off in terms of divergence versus losing some access.

Any deal with the EU is likely to see penalty clauses which you have in all trade agreements .

The big problem at the moment is business doesn’t know what will happen so can’t plan.  

Businesses are flexible but need an end point to work towards , any new customs arrangements need time to implement and test .

The fact we’re 2 years after the vote and still no idea re customs and trade is shameful . May now apparently is not going to put out the White Paper before the next EU summit .

I’m beginning to think this is a deliberate tactic to wait till the last minute , and then agree to something which everyone hates but with no time for her to have a Leadership Challenge .

With time fast disappearing who will challenge her if there’s just a few months to go . It would look totally reckless to remove the PM at that point .

And then even if you did without an election you’d still have the same divisions amongst MPs.

PS go read Faisal Islam Sky News twitter feed tonight for what Mays ineptitude has led to . Absolutely disastrous for UK car parts suppliers.

Edited by nick sussex

I suspect a lot of folk couldn't give a monkeys about Brexit at the moment. Getting to work,staying connective in business will be their most important thought. The blame game is well and truly on with Northern rail, the government...blameless obviously. They just want that white Elephant Hs2(purely London biased),the biggest waste of tax payers money in a generation. Then the vast amount spent on Crossrail,every time London comes first,sod the rest of us.🤬

49 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Climate Change chart alert!!!

The chart started  well before the ref was even mentioned.  The chart shows a linear trend?

Look closer and you will see it increased from the ref vote, until the expected inflation brake applied.

Looks to me as if the accelerator is being pressed pretty hard again now though.

I wondered how long it would take before a  naturally  optimistic streak would appear! :yahoo:

.sarc off

MIA

Are you mad? The numbers discussed in earlier posts imply the next value will be 1% for the year, i.e. a continued downward trend.

40 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

As i've said before in here i cannot see the likes of BMW CEO and others just accepting any EU-27 political hard-ball play re trade with UK post-Brexit. The elected politicians in Germany, France, etc know there has to be trade incl cars with UK, otherwise large co CEOs in those countries plus trade unions representing 000s of workers will just not accept a stalemate.

What the hell does that matter when even regional Belgian parliaments can veto a deal?

It doesn't matter if every CEO of every country in the EU wanted to give the UK an amazing deal and £350 million a day; if e.g. Malta says no deal then no deal.

The CEOs didn't stop TTIP sinking. It doesn't matter what they think.

I'd have thought after brexit you'd realise how little influence CEOs have things.

Ireland is your problem.

It has England completely over a barrel. That's who's going to screw your brexit if you are not careful. They're going to make England suffer for the killing burning and raping of the black and tans etc, then the partition of their country for decades. Unless of course you give them the north back, then all will be forgiven. 

And the EU will never overrule the Irish veto. If it did that, Ireland would likely leave and other countries follow. It will only hold together if countries believe they are equals in it.

Edited by scottish skier

Even Gordon Brown is now saying that ministers should be focusing on the issues that produced Brexit by suggesting that there must be tighter controls on immigration.

When he was in power anyone who tried to talk to him about was called a bigot.

It really is mind boggling hypocrisy from these people.  The penny is finally dropping it seems here at home and all over Europe except of course with the elite in Brussels and the remain camp who want more of it especially north of the border.

The new term the public needs to get used to is Rules of Origin.

That’s a pile of new paperwork for businesses. At this point I’m beginning to think a manned mission to Mars might be easier than this Brexit lark!

4 minutes ago, kent said:

Even Gordon Brown is now saying that ministers should be focusing on the issues that produced Brexit by suggesting that there must be tighter controls on immigration.

It really is mind boggling hypocrisy from these people.  The penny is finally dropping it seems here at home and all over Europe except of course with the elite in Brussels and the remain camp who want more of it especially north of the border.

Why would anyone give a rats behind what he thinks?

Skilled European workers are forming huge queues at Dover as they line up to escape the UK.

The floodgates have opened and they're pouring across the channel en masse.

Why the need to tighten controls?

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

EDIT, the retail sales news is better given:

Let's hope for a couple of bank holidays and a royal wedding this month again. And some sunshine! 😉

There's the World Cup so that should help boost sales of TVs, booze etc especially for those home nations taking part.....( however briefly.)

(...let's hope there's some sunshine elsewhere in the UK for those that  never didn't qualify.) 😙

2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Skilled European workers are forming huge queues at Dover as they line up to escape the UK.

May takes most of the blame . She’s utterly obsessed with keeping even skilled workers out and also doesn’t want students .

The public have shown in poll after poll they have a good view of students and skilled workers . Students are  a huge boost for the economy and skilled workers poll well with those who voted Leave .

It’s quite bizarre two of the biggest Leavers in the cabinet Johnson and Gove are pragmatic about immigration and the so called Remainer May isn’t .

18 minutes ago, kent said:

He's certainly changed his tune since then 😉

5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The new term the public needs to get used to is Rules of Origin.

That’s a pile of new paperwork for businesses. At this point I’m beginning to think a manned mission to Mars might be easier than this Brexit lark!

Not really, just get on with it!

19 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Well I suppose they poured in en masse and now they are pouring out, dynamic equilibrium.

Maybe  I'll be able to get a seat on the bus or train again soon, I look forward to that.

2 hours ago, weirpig said:

Lol  that will go down well in the Midlands and the North   largest reason why people voted leave was due to immigration  Cornyn wants to keep it  glug glug   

Good evening Weirpig.

If immigration is the main reason for leaving the EU as far as the Midlands is concerned I must admit I am confused. Surely over the years the influx of immigrants has been in the main from the Indian sub continent and leaving the EU will do little to change that. I could understand, but not agree with the electorate in the Fens for example voting the way they did as a large number of Eastern Europeans are employed in agriculture and leaving has and undoubtedly will result in a reduction in numbers .

Kind Regards

Dave

41 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect a lot of folk couldn't give a monkeys about Brexit at the moment. Getting to work,staying connective in business will be their most important thought. The blame game is well and truly on with Northern rail, the government...blameless obviously. They just want that white Elephant Hs2(purely London biased),the biggest waste of tax payers money in a generation. Then the vast amount spent on Crossrail,every time London comes first,sod the rest of us.🤬

You ain't seen nothing yet, Mark. Once all the mythical trade-deals have been struck, Old Blighty will be exporting white elephants to all four corners of the globe. Give it fifty-years and we'll be organising white elephant safaris! Money for nothing, eh?🔫🏹

Just now, claret047 said:

Good evening Weirpig.

If immigration is the main reason for leaving the EU as far as the Midlands is concerned I must admit I am confused. Surely over the years the influx of immigrants has been in the main from the Indian sub continent and leaving the EU will do little to change that. I could understand, but not agree with the electorate in the Fens for example voting the way they did as a large number of Eastern Europeans are employed in agriculture and leaving has and undoubtedly will result in a reduction in numbers .

Kind Regards

Dave

No you misunderstood  as a whole most people voted to leave due to immigration  whether most understand the conertations of this is open to debate  Midlands and northern England are labour heartlands  if they are seen to go against what most people expressed the number 1 reason for leaving  then there support for the Labour party will diminish  in these areas  if this happens they are finished