Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I suspect that that might be the last thing he wants to enter, Mike!:shok:

One never knows Pete - all I am aware of is a series of outlandish ideas. 

On 02/06/2018 at 22:51, kent said:

There has only been 11 stabbings and shootings in London For the 1st and 2nd of June.

Does that mean that this swamp of multiculture is finally beginning to integrate.

Shameful post.

Will May finally back down over students .

The cabinet including both Leave and Remain members want to remove these from the normal immigration figures especially after it was shown that these were being over inflated in terms of overstaying their visas . They also want more students coming to the UK.

The polling on students is favourable , the clear majority of the public have a positive view . They benefit the country economically , hardly ever use the NHS given they’re generally younger and do actually return to their home countries .

Because they pay high fees they help to subsidize university education for everyone else .

Edited by nick sussex

1 hour ago, Mark wheeler said:

Interesting poll ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-44142843

CECCF32E-7C89-4FF1-A404-A0A8E145FA07.png

This bit interests me very much. You can see the labour , Tory divide IMO.

• English pride is felt by about two thirds of people in coastal and former industrial towns but less than half of people in major cities like Liverpool and Manchester
  • In London boroughs such as Hackney and Lambeth, pride in being English is felt only 37% and 38% of people respectively
  • The further from London someone lives, the more they identify with a particular part of England

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7lnxwjw12j/BBC_EnglishIdentity_March18_Results_for_website.pdf

Sadly my pride in being English has taken a bit of a battering over the past couple of years or so - we used to be noted for being tolerant and welcoming, for fair play with a keen sense of justice and being reliable, trustworthy and dependable - whatever has happened in this post truth world where the result counts more than the means to attain it? 

Being brought up in England with two English parents, speaking English is only half the story. 

3 hours ago, kent said:

Now then if we go that route let me trawl back at some of the remainers posts and the hatred directed at politicians in Westminster.

Be back soon got some copying and pasting to do.

We are all fully entitled to have a go at our politicians if we don't think they are doing a good job, we are not attacking them on the grounds of race, colour or creed, merely on their incompetence. 

Edited by mike Meehan

5 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

Over the past 40 or so years the economies of the EU and the UK have become absolutely entwined and hardly a day goes by without something cropping up which we have not really thought about.

Entwined yes but to our disadvantage and worse so for the nations that adopted the Euro.  To stay linked to an institution where our trade imbalance is shockingly diminishing yearly is economic madness in my view.

We cannot compete with the manufacturing capability of Germany and maybe France.  As I have said the only profit we make is trading with the rest of the world is in services and the only surplus  we have with the EU is in services.  When you consider that 80% of our economy is based on services and just 20% through manufacturing and other outlets then the EU pales in insignificance as a true trading party for our natural strengths.

A fair trading outcome with the EU would be fine because then we would have the best of both worlds. But to stay attached to the EU  without that possibility of selling ourselves to a much bigger market is insane. And you really have to consider the possibility that the left policies of the EU are failing.

Even the European Commissions own website published an article saying that in 10 years time 90% of world demand would be generated outside of Europe which was later conveniently and swiftly deleted.

58 minutes ago, kent said:

Entwined yes but to our disadvantage and worse so for the nations that adopted the Euro.  To stay linked to an institution where our trade imbalance is shockingly diminishing yearly is economic madness in my view.

We cannot compete with the manufacturing capability of Germany and maybe France.  As I have said the only profit we make is trading with the rest of the world is in services and the only surplus  we have with the EU is in services.  When you consider that 80% of our economy is based on services and just 20% through manufacturing and other outlets then the EU pales in insignificance as a true trading party for our natural strengths.

A fair trading outcome with the EU would be fine because then we would have the best of both worlds. But to stay attached to the EU  without that possibility of selling ourselves to a much bigger market is insane. And you really have to consider the possibility that the left policies of the EU are failing.

Even the European Commissions own website published an article saying that in 10 years time 90% of world demand would be generated outside of Europe which was later conveniently and swiftly deleted.

And just why can't compete with France or Germany in manufacturing - there was a time when we led the world in this - might it just be that since the 60's we have made a series of mistakes - tradesmen were quite willing to work in manufacturing and we had the skills - what we didn't have was the appreciation of the jobs those people did - have we been tied down by our continuing class war and is that which is continuing to defeat us in this respect - ah respect, perhaps this is the operative word - people do like to feel respected and valued.

First and foremost before we do anything else we need to take a long hard look at ourselves - unfortunately some of us are too arrogant for that, after all what could they possibly do what was wrong?  

Edited by mike Meehan

Brussels refuses to extend UK trade deals during transition

Britain will have only weeks to negotiate deals with dozens of countries after the European Union refused to help to extend any existing trade agreements before the legally binding signing of a Brexit withdrawal treaty.

European officials have told the government that they will not ask the EU’s trading partners to allow Britain to benefit from current trade deals with key countries such as Japan or South Korea until Theresa May signs the final legal text of a Brexit deal.

The decision means that Liam Fox, the trade secretary, will have less than three months between the conclusion of withdrawal negotiations at an EU summit in December and Brexit day, March 29, 2019, to negotiate the continuation of Britain’s current free trade agreements. Without the trade deals Britain faces a cliff edge of tariffs and economic disruption despite having agreed a transition period covering membership of the single market and customs union until the end of 2020.

Britain benefits from more than 40 EU trade agreements that account for more than 15 per cent of all British imports and exports. As part of the withdrawal agreement negotiations in Brussels last December EU negotiators agreed to a UK request to write to all the countries with which the EU had a trade agreement and formally request that the country be considered still part of the EU during transition.

An EU official confirmed to The Times, however, that Brussels would not make any move to extend the trade agreements until Britain had legally committed to all aspects of the withdrawal agreement.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brussels-refuses-to-extend-uk-trade-deals-during-transition-qfx8sl0st

9 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Interesting poll ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-44142843

CECCF32E-7C89-4FF1-A404-A0A8E145FA07.png

This bit interests me very much. You can see the labour , Tory divide IMO.

• English pride is felt by about two thirds of people in coastal and former industrial towns but less than half of people in major cities like Liverpool and Manchester
  • In London boroughs such as Hackney and Lambeth, pride in being English is felt only 37% and 38% of people respectively
  • The further from London someone lives, the more they identify with a particular part of England

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7lnxwjw12j/BBC_EnglishIdentity_March18_Results_for_website.pdf

I was pleased that when I typed in my postcode, no result was returned!😉

But disappointed it didn't direct me to the Scottish survey, what with it prominent on the British Broadcasting Corporation front page. 

Hopefully this is the BBC starting to prepare England for just being England.

One thing that was very strange about 2014 was that the BBC etc portrayed it as Scotland maybe leaving the UK. That's not what Scottish indy means though of course; it's Scotland ending the UK. We can lose N. Ireland and even Wales and the UK still exists, but if Scotland and England part company (through repeal of the treaty of union as would occur), there is no UK any more. Down comes the union flag - a shared emblem - everywhere. 

With Northern Ireland heading back to the republic very shortly (in all probability), the union flag as we know it will no longer exist quite soon already; out will come the red saltire. I suppose at least that would mean 'proud brits' couldn't fly it upside down (a sign of distress) any more!

I note of course that you are personally fine with all this and polling suggests English people are ok too. Or at least they are ok with Scottish indy (and Irish reunification) as a price of brexit. I'm not really sure they realise that means no UK though... no global 'brand Britain'...no union jackery tourist tat and mini roofs...

I suspect they'll adjust quickly enough, but it is a British deception. But then personally, if you ask me, Britain has done far more damage to Englishness than the EU ever has. I can't help but feel that if England was just England, it might not be leaving the EU. 

The mere fact its called brexit when only England (+Wales) voted for it is all part of the empire delusion that persists for many. A delusion that seems common in the brexit camp (not applicable to all of course). 

Edited by scottish skier

9 hours ago, kent said:

When you have a London bus displaying the slogan that Allah is great on the same day there is a service to honour the innocent victims of the London bridge attack and newspapers are quoting that the last words those poor victims heard was " this is for Allah" as they were being stabbed to death.

If you consider my views as distasteful then perhaps you should ask the opinion of the victims families of what sensitivity is.

Good Morning Kent

Why are you so obsessed with London buses? I know that TFL now goes beyond the outer London Boroughs (as far as Shenfield in Essex) for example, but to date they have not extended their tentacles as far as Devon or Dorset.

As far as your response to me that I have quoted above I would suggest that the two issues are chronologically unrelated. The former pre-dated the latter by at least a couple of years.

Indeed yesterday was a day of solemn remembrance for those who lost their lives a year previously. Many of those that have been interviewed have shown a much more considered reflection of that fateful day and a realisation that not all Muslims are radical murderers.

It is worth reflecting upon the incident that was reported following the Manchester Concert bombing, A consultant returning to work by bus the day after the incident was verbally assaulted because he was of the Islamic faith notwithstanding the fact he had spent most of the previous night saving lives and treating the seriously injured. In fact he was going back into the hospital on his day off to help out. I guess in your ideal world people like him should not be allowed into these country.

Kind Regards

Dave

Rather suggests things changing steadily as opposed to being repetitive.

Leavers need to up their game; they're badly losing the economic argument for brexit; certainly any sort of hard brexit.

Edited by scottish skier

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

I was pleased that when I typed in my postcode, no result was returned!😉

But disappointed it didn't direct me to the Scottish survey, what with it prominent on the British Broadcasting Corporation front page. 

Hopefully this is the BBC starting to prepare England for just being England.

One thing that was very strange about 2014 was that the BBC etc portrayed it as Scotland maybe leaving the UK. That's not what Scottish indy means though of course; it's Scotland ending the UK. We can lose N. Ireland and even Wales and the UK still exists, but if Scotland and England part company (through repeal of the treaty of union as would occur), there is no UK any more. Down comes the union flag - a shared emblem - everywhere. 

With Northern Ireland heading back to the republic very shortly (in all probability), the union flag as we know it will no longer exist quite soon already; out will come the red saltire. I suppose at least that would mean 'proud brits' couldn't fly it upside down (a sign of distress) any more!

I note of course that you are personally fine with all this and polling suggests English people are ok too. Or at least they are ok with Scottish indy (and Irish reunification) as a price of brexit. I'm not really sure they realise that means no UK though... no global 'brand Britain'...no union jackery tourist tat and mini roofs...

I suspect they'll adjust quickly enough, but it is a British deception. But then personally, if you ask me, Britain has done far more damage to Englishness than the EU ever has. I can't help but feel that if England was just England, it might not be leaving the EU. 

The mere fact its called brexit when only England (+Wales) voted for it is all part of the empire delusion that persists for many. A delusion that seems common in the brexit camp (not applicable to all of course). 

This for me highlights the issues of immigration in England.  As i can see from the past few pages this is a thorny issue  however, If you look at areas of high immigration ie Brum  look at how much lower people class thereselves as English compared to other surrounding areas   until that is addressed  issues will continue to arise.

Came across this summing up;

The Logic of Brexit.

Leave a Free Trade Area to trade more freely

Leave trade agreements to get new trade agreements

Weaken influence to become stronger

Turn inward to be more global

Opt out by opting in

Welcome people by being hostile

Avoid customs checks by leaving a Customs Union

Keep access to the single market by leaving the single market

Maintain an invisible border by installing infrastructure

Cut red tape by adding to it

Boost investment by creating uncertainty

Boost jobs by reducing growth

Take responsibility by blaming others

Unite by creating divisions

Respect the Union by ignoring the wishes of its nations.

Enhance devolution by centralising power

Protect Consumers by reducing standards

Help workers by removing guarantees of rights

Put people first by making them poorer

Save the NHS by driving doctors and nurses away

Bolster public services by reducing tax-take

Keep the exact-same rights by removing some of them

Tackle environmental threats by leaving an environmental regulator

Ensure security by leaving security cooperation structures

Help farmers by stopping subsidies and making their markets harder to access

Help research by making funding and cooperation harder

Guarantee peace by undermining the GFA

Save money by recreating the present at substantial cost

Bring clarity by creating confusion

Replace reality with fantasy

Evidence with blind faith

Honesty with dishonesty

Policy with bullshit

Strategy with blagging

Possible with impossible

Leading with following

Richer with poorer

Sanity with insanity 

The future with a non-existent past

4 hours ago, knocker said:

So what I understand from this, is that until a deal is reached in black and white, the UK is not only losing the 44%, (the figure so often bandied about by the leavers to show such trade is decreasing) of trade it does directly with the EU but in addition a further 15% of trade facilitated via the EU via external clients, in fact making a possible loss of some 59%. 

A possible add on to this could be the passporting rights of finance and services, increasing that figure still further. 

Should that be the case I cannot see any logic at all in taking such a risk with the economy of our country - the leavers speak in glowing terms of trade with the rest of the world but from what I hear, it is the consensus of the rest of the world that they would prefer a deal with a block of getting on for half a billion, rather than an entity of about one tenth of that size. 

As far as I am aware, size really does matter - it is straightforward common sense that a larger entity will have a greater chance of success in negotiations than a smaller entity. 

So really why are the leavers so keen on this course of action? They are clearly not concerned about the prospect of losing their EU citizenship and all that goes with it but that is a matter for them but to take it away from the remainder of us, plus succeeding generations without a 'do you mind' indicates an extremely selfish view point. 

Consider that if the referendum had gone the other way, or article 50 were to be rescinded (it's still possible) what would the leavers really be losing or suffering, apart from a blow to the ego?

The main plank on which they fought the referendum was immigration and the only immigration which would have been affected by leaving would have been that of EU nationals.

Apparently immigration from non EU sources still continues apace, whilst there has been a reduction in EU immigration, even a loss as such either leave or are preparing to leave. 

This was a group mainly of workers of value, more so than many from without the EU which included a number who had low educational, skills and language benefits, making them virtually unemployable in any but a low skilled capacity, who paid their and were an asset to the country, many doing jobs which or indigenous population were not prepared to do. 

I am fully convinced that a caring responsible government would never have allowed such risks to be taken with our future, so take it from that they are neither caring, nor responsible - they are just taking a very short sighted view of their own immediate future, then hoping against hope that something will turn up and in any case try to talk themselves out of the problems they have caused, relying on the support of their faithful and their dislike of Mr Corbyn to carry them through, which is a very unrealistic attitude. 

So what we have now, is a situation in which 'we' still dictate to the rest of the world, only now they don't take any notice...The days of the empire are well and truly behind us. Thank goodness!

37 minutes ago, weirpig said:

This for me highlights the issues of immigration in England.  As i can see from the past few pages this is a thorny issue  however, If you look at areas of high immigration ie Brum  look at how much lower people class thereselves as English compared to other surrounding areas   until that is addressed  issues will continue to arise.

The point I keep mentioning WP is that whilst the government are wasting time, money and resources in pursuing this pie in the sky brexit policy, they do not have those to address the issues you have rightly raised.  

In many ways our country is now in a bit of a mess. That is the reason why so many from impoverished areas voted leave in what now appears to have been a fruitless effort to draw attention to their plight. 

It is not sound sense to fight a battle on two fronts, one or the other must take priority and I would suggest that should be tackling our own domestic issues should take first priority.  

At the moment Brexit is only serving to deepen the issues we already have - the government is cynically directing its limited resources towards brexit in order that it can divert attention from our own domestic issues by making the poor poorer.

All this is now becoming apparent and the government have boxed themselves into a corner without the guts to come clean and honest, fearing they would lose their political advantage and without the ken to realise that this will disappear anyway once the proverbial hits the fan.  This takes blind faith to an entirely different level.  

15 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

So what I understand from this, is that until a deal is reached in black and white, the UK is not only losing the 44%, (the figure so often bandied about by the leavers to show such trade is decreasing) of trade it does directly with the EU but in addition a further 15% of trade facilitated via the EU via external clients, in fact making a possible loss of some 59%. 

A possible add on to this could be the passporting rights of finance and services, increasing that figure still further. 

Good Morning Mike.

I agree with your posting, but have only extracted a small portion upon which to comment.

We hear from Brexit supporters about the 56% world market, but what they fail to grasp is that it is not one homogeneous bloc like the EU, but a large number of disparate markets in far flung corners of the world. No doubt I am a half wit, as alluded to the other day, but I cannot see in my occasional lucid moments how such an approach would be remotely beneficial to the UK.

Perhaps a Brexiter could indulge me and explain how that is so because I simply do not get it. Perhaps all our trade will be with the ultra generous good old U.S .of A after all the Donald did say we are at the front of the queue and we all know he puts us ahead of his ego.

Kind Regards

Dave

1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Yet in Scotland, we have 17% of the population as (non-Scots obviously) immigrants - the same as England - but that doesn't seem to present (nearly as much of) a threat to Scots in terms of their culture / identity.

Is that maybe because Scottish culture identity is stronger than English because the former has historically been more freely expressed? Because Englishness has been more lost to Britishness?

While the British have tried to tell Scots that being Scottish is racist (anti-English in particular), it hasn't really worked because it just annoys people. In fact its been very counter-productive in that it's enhanced Scottish identity. I used to even be a bit british until I was told by the British I was racist and anti-English because I wasn't fully British, but mainly Scottish. That made me completely not British and just Scottish (certainly politically).

In England, English has been far more suppressed by British. I really do wonder if English culture was more prominent and freely expressed, whether it would feel less threatened by other cultures, as it seems to feel.

Obviously I'm not English so just speculating!

Edited by scottish skier

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/968712/brexit-remoaners-doorsteps-campaigners-house-visit-uk-eu

Yesterday the Sunday Express published this article - apparently the pro EU side are making efforts to get amongst the public to demonstrate the truth of our membership of the EU. 

The leavers are complaining bitterly about this and trying to suggest that such actions usurp democracy.

But it is quite obvious that they only believe in selective democracy, one which applies to themselves, a mendacious referendum and excludes all opinions other than their own, which in fact is a far cry from the universal democracy I thought we had prior to this situation. 

In a truly democratic society the remainers have every right to disagree with brexit and they also have every right to try to persuade people of its pitfalls provided they do this within the law.

It does show that they have scant regard for true democracy but that they should vent their spleen in this manner is hardly surprising - it has been their constant modus operandi to belittle, bully and scorn those who disagree with them.

Hopefully this pro EU campaign will go a long way towards exposing the absurdity of the fanatic leave argument and shows up the leavers for what they really are. 

8 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Yet in Scotland, we have 17% of the population as (non-Scots obviously) immigrants - the same as England - but that doesn't seem to present (nearly as much of) a threat to Scots in terms of their culture / identity.

Is that maybe because Scottish culture identity is stronger than English because the former has historically been more freely expressed? Because Englishness has been more lost to Britishness?

While the British have tried to tell Scots that being Scottish is racist (anti-English in particular), it hasn't really worked because it just annoys people. In fact its been very counter-productive in that it's enhanced Scottish identity. I used to even be a bit british until I was told by the British I was racist and anti-English because I wasn't fully British, but mainly Scottish. That made me completely not British and just Scottish (certainly politically).

In England, English has been far more suppressed by British. I really do wonder if English culture was more prominent and freely expressed, whether it would feel less threatened by other cultures, as it seems to feel.

Obviously I'm not English so just speculating!

Good point.  Being English(over the past 3 or 4 decades)  as certainly been watered down  somewhat  now whether thats due to Britishness being forced down our mouths or our closer ties to Europe  or even the whole image of being English being classed as somehow something to be ashamed of  i really dont know.  Etherway it does seem  at least in some areas  that Englishness is becoming back in vogue.  my guess is the Scottish Indy vote has done no harm at all in regards to this.    bodes well for the break up of the Uk  

38 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

The point I keep mentioning WP is that whilst the government are wasting time, money and resources in pursuing this pie in the sky brexit policy, they do not have those to address the issues you have rightly raised. 

In many ways our country is now in a bit of a mess. That is the reason why so many from impoverished areas voted leave in what now appears to have been a fruitless effort to draw attention to their plight. 

It is not sound sense to fight a battle on two fronts, one or the other must take priority and I would suggest that should be tackling our own domestic issues should take first priority.  

At the moment Brexit is only serving to deepen the issues we already have - the government is cynically directing its limited resources towards brexit in order that it can divert attention from our own domestic issues by making the poor poorer.

In connection  with the above, the below indicates what brexit is currently costing and from what I can see does not appear to include the costs of administering brexit, so I would expect the total costs to be quite a bit higher if we take this into account as well:

http://costofbrexit.bitballoon.com/

13 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Good point.  Being English(over the past 3 or 4 decades)  as certainly been watered down  somewhat  now whether thats due to Britishness being forced down our mouths or our closer ties to Europe  or even the whole image of being English being classed as somehow something to be ashamed of  i really dont know.  Etherway it does seem  at least in some areas  that Englishness is becoming back in vogue.  my guess is the Scottish Indy vote has done no harm at all in regards to this.    bodes well for the break up of the Uk  

The antics of some of our football hooligans when visiting matches abroad draping themselves in the national flag or the Union Jack and such far right wing organisations adopting these flags in a similar fashion hardly go towards instilling pride in one's country. 

I feel shamed at seeing our national emblems used for such purposes and I am sure others do as well. I personally find I can have more pride in that blue flag with stars on it. 

There was a time when we could have genuine pride in our country but sadly a minority have done much to destroy this. 

As far as the break up of the Union is concerned, I would have thought a way forward would be to allow all the countries their own domestic autonomy more but gather them together into a federated state - perhaps establish the main government at a more central area, Dudley? No skin off my nose. 

This could give us a situation where we could treat each other as more equal partners and build on that. 

I am sure that would put paid to a lot of the grievances.  

7 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

The antics of some of our football hooligans when visiting matches abroad draping themselves in the national flag or the Union Jack and such far right wing organisations adopting these flags in a similar fashion hardly go towards instilling pride in one's country. 

I feel shamed at seeing our national emblems used for such purposes and I am sure others do as well. I personally find I can have more pride in that blue flag with stars on it. 

There was a time when we could have genuine pride in our country but sadly a minority have done much to destroy this. 

As far as the break up of the Union is concerned, I would have thought a way forward would be to allow all the countries their own domestic autonomy more but gather them together into a federated state - perhaps establish the main government at a more central area, Dudley? No skin off my nose. 

This could give us a situation where we could treat each other as more equal partners and build on that. 

I am sure that would put paid to a lot of the grievances.  

Possibly.  The hooligan  thing hasnt done much for our image however.  Up till the early 90s the cross of St George was never really shown at England football matches it was always the Union Flag.  and since then  that fade really as died a death compared to previous years.  and why can someone tell me do we still have god save the queen before every England game?.  anyway going off point    I think its to late now for any deals to be done to save the UK  to much water under the bridge.   Scotland will see to that in the next few years.  as a footnote  why do you have have more pride in flying the flag for Micronesia (family ties).

48 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Possibly.  The hooligan  thing hasnt done much for our image however.  Up till the early 90s the cross of St George was never really shown at England football matches it was always the Union Flag.  and since then  that fade really as died a death compared to previous years.  and why can someone tell me do we still have god save the queen before every England game?.  anyway going off point    I think its to late now for any deals to be done to save the UK  to much water under the bridge.   Scotland will see to that in the next few years.  as a footnote  why do you have have more pride in flying the flag for Micronesia (family ties).

I was really thinking about the flag which has 12 stars on it rather than 4.    :D

As for God save the Queen - it is a bit odd when having home internationals, we still have the National Anthem whilst the other home nations have their own.

The National Anthem is such a dirge tune it is little wonder we lose at times - it puts the team in the wrong state of mind - perhaps we should change it for Pomp and Circumstance, that is a bit more rousing. 

Edited by mike Meehan

4 hours ago, scottish skier said:

I'm being pedantic here, but the Union Flag predates the Acts of Union by some 100 years. It was introduced when James VI of Scotland became James 1st of Great Britain, there is no reason why the flag could not continue after the Act of Union is revoked.

You are right of course that in the event of Scotland divorcing England, there is no more United Kingdom, it is hard to see England wanting to keep Northern Ireland in that eventuality and England and Wales will be all that remains.