Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

A new thread as we move into a new parliament following the general election. 

Please keep the discussion friendly and respectful..

Kent Police say they have received reports of electoral fraud in the Thanet South constituency where UKIP's Nigel Farage stood.

http://news.sky.com/story/1483302/police-investigate-thanet-south-fraud-claims

Not content with Farage's very own resurrection, rises from the ashes like the eponymous phoenix, we are now going to be treated to a vote-rigging conspiracy theory. Delusions of grandeur methinks?

Not content with Farage's very own resurrection, rises from the ashes like the eponymous phoenix, we are now going to be treated to a vote-rigging conspiracy theory. Delusions of grandeur methinks?

Hardly a conspiracy theory when police are investigating it.

For starters, the police will investigate something if it's reported to them - so it could be a conspiracy theory even then. And for seconds, for all we know the alleged fraud could be in relation to the amount of votes for UKIP or any one of the parties involved, it doesn't have to be related to the votes for the winning party, in theory. 

All conjecture though at this point though!

Of course the polis are going to investigate; an allegation clearly has been made. But wasn't it all a wee bit predictable?

But, as you say: who knows? :D

Of course the polis are going to investigate; an allegation clearly has been made. But wasn't it all a wee bit predictable?

But, as you say: who knows? :D

Almost as predictable as Nige being 'persuaded' to stay as leader!!

Do the police not need at least a basic amount of reason to investigate something like this. I would have thought an upset UKIP supporter wouldn't quite meet the requirments.

Do the police not need at least a basic amount of reason to investigate something like this. I would have thought an upset UKIP supporter wouldn't quite meet the requirments.

Apparently UKIP didn't make this complaint so it must have been a member of the public but the police would have to investigate any complaint regardless of the severity. Until the police release more information then its anyones guess what type of fraud has been suspected.

On a separate issue there seems to be a problem with Douglas Carswell and disagreements over accepting funds that are given out to parties after the GE. I find this strange if UKIP are entitled to the money then whats the problem with accepting this. Surely this would help build the party and cover organisational costs.

Edited by nick sussex

Apparently UKIP didn't make this complaint so it must have been a member of the public but the police would have to investigate any complaint regardless of the severity. Until the police release more information then its anyones guess what type of fraud has been suspected.

On a separate issue there seems to be a problem with Douglas Carswell and disagreements over accepting funds that are given out to parties after the GE. I find this strange if UKIP are entitled to the money then whats the problem with accepting this. Surely this would help build the party and cover organisational costs.

Carswell doesn't think they need so much money and it's been sorted now, him and UKIP have reached an agreement. A noble cause but when one of the main reasons they didn't get seats being they couldn't invest enough in target seats, Thanet aside, then I think they  should have taken all of it.

Carswell doesn't think they need so much money and it's been sorted now, him and UKIP have reached an agreement. A noble cause but when one of the main reasons they didn't get seats being they couldn't invest enough in target seats, Thanet aside, then I think they  should have taken all of it.

The issue was that UKIP senior figures wanted to use the money to fund upto 15 staff working for there only MP, in which Carswell responded by saying I am not a US senator I do not need many staff.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls

The whole Farage un-resignation nonsense was embarrassing!

They were a great double act the two Eds for political farce, one loses an election and the other loses his seat.

ByPfmqeIIAEsgNT.jpg

Anyone seen lfcdude? Haven't seen him since the election. Hope he is OK.

Anyone seen lfcdude? Haven't seen him since the election. Hope he is OK.

He's fine.

My understanding is he got a little over excited on election night or something and is having a little break.

Edited by scottish skier

Will the Tories break an international peace treaty and restart the troubles?

From the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-concern-about-uk-plan-to-scrap-human-rights-act-1.2211556

Government concern about UK plan to scrap Human Rights Act

Dublin to warn Tories it may breach Belfast Agreement terms and threaten stability

The [irish] Government has serious concerns that London could breach the terms of the Belfast Agreement if prime minister David Cameron carries through on a pledge to scrap the UK’s Human Rights Act.

Edited by scottish skier

He's fine.

My understanding is he got a little over excited on election night or something and is having a little break.

Oh, I see :wink:

I've always thought Carswell would make the best leader, tbh.

Oh, I see :wink:

I've always thought Carswell would make the best leader, tbh.

He might even leave the pub on occasion!

No comments on the Bank of England's Inflation Report? Perhaps because it highlights Britain's productivity growth, or to be precise, it's complete lack of it. A subject that was conveniently glossed over during the run up to the election for fear of highlighting how unbalanced the so-called recovery is.

It provided a thorough analysis of why productivity in the UK has stagnated over the past seven years, then followed witha gloomy prediction that it would barely grow over the next three. A lost decade, in other words. The UK has seen nothing like it since at least the Second World War.

The Bank has identified three main causes of flatlining productivity: a surge in low-skilled work, “zombie†companies and low business investment. Together, the causes have had a longer-lasting impact on productivity than had been thought, but at least some of the weakness should automatically unwind, the Bank claimed.

Since the middle of 2013, the UK has created a disproportionate number of lower-skilled jobs — about 740,000 of the one million new positions have been either “low†or “medium†skilled. Machine operators and people in customer services are simply less productive than managers and those in technical occupations. “This shift in the composition of the workforce could have dragged on aggregate productivity over the past two years,†the Bank said.

Weak business investment in the years after the recession, in both machinery and skills, has also taken its toll. Investment recovered to pre-crisis levels only in 2013, meaning that Britain was subjected to four years of capital decay.

And lastly unviable companies have been kept on life support thanks to low interest rates, which “may have impaired the reallocation of resources to new or more dynamic companies with the potential to achieve higher productivityâ€.

Edited by knocker

A good poster Knocker. Also the fact, that despite excellent job figures, the receipts from PAYE/NI are stagnant as well and not contributing to reducing the deficite. It just shows how most of the jobs being created are unskilled and low paid.

I have two young nephews over here, both left school with excellent grades in the middle of the depression. Neither could find work in the well paid areas they were applying for and both now work in Sainsbury's part time, will little chance of improving their lot.

As we know, the Tory's like to call themselves the party of small business, that's your trademan, plumbers, brickies etc...

In the previous thread, there were attacks on the spongers and benefit fraudsters in society and how this costs the economy money, which indeed it does to the tune of around €1.2 billion a year. Benefit fraud is wrong.

Now, this brings us neatly on to another type of fraud, cash in hand fraud, this is where we as honest citizens pay cash in hand to tradesman. They then of course don't declare the 20% VAT they should be charging. Estimates to the cost of the economy are between £4billion and £8 billion per year, lets call it £6 billion.

Now, I would argue that Torys have more money and are probably responsible for a larger proportional chunk of it, however, lets just say every economic group is equally responsible. So if the Torys got 37% of the national vote then they are responsible for £2.2billion of cash in hand fraud.

Therefore, in summary, Tory voters commit more fraud then benefit cheats by £2.2 billion to £1.2 billion.

Perhaps then, we will see no more discussions on benefits issues when we know where the real problem lies, as it normally does, with the well off.

Will the Tories break an international peace treaty and restart the troubles?

From the Irish Times.

Depends how much appetite there is from the youth of today for violence i suppose but i can't see why the key provisions can't be replecated in the Bill of Rights.

*Note that i don't support the repeal per say, i just think people forget we had rights before 1998.

As we know, the Tory's like to call themselves the party of small business, that's your trademan, plumbers, brickies etc...

In the previous thread, there were attacks on the spongers and benefit fraudsters in society and how this costs the economy money, which indeed it does to the tune of around €1.2 billion a year. Benefit fraud is wrong.

Now, this brings us neatly on to another type of fraud, cash in hand fraud, this is where we as honest citizens pay cash in hand to tradesman. They then of course don't declare the 20% VAT they should be charging. Estimates to the cost of the economy are between £4billion and £8 billion per year, lets call it £6 billion.

Now, I would argue that Torys have more money and are probably responsible for a larger proportional chunk of it, however, lets just say every economic group is equally responsible. So if the Torys got 37% of the national vote then they are responsible for £2.2billion of cash in hand fraud.

Therefore, in summary, Tory voters commit more fraud then benefit cheats by £2.2 billion to £1.2 billion.

Perhaps then, we will see no more discussions on benefits issues when we know where the real problem lies, as it normally does, with the well off.

Your Tory bashing figures are based on your own assumptions rather than actual fact.

This thread started off really well with some really good, intelligent posts. 

What a big shame the thread has now been taken back to be like the last one, hopefully the above post will be a one off and we can go back to more informed and constructive posts.

Nothing will be achieved apart from getting people's backs up, spoiling the thread and turning it into a children's playground again.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls