Sign in to follow this  
nick sussex

EU Referendum

3 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Yes indeed Karl,

This  morning I was gardening between rain showers, but during one of the heavier bursts of rain I retired indoors and watched part of the Politics Show on BBC1. The part I watched was just before and during that section of the programme that switches to the region one lives in. I, therefore watched that relating to the East of England. As she is a Northamptonshire MP there was an item on her candidateship for Tory leader and PM. It included an excerpt of an interview of her outside Parliament, shortly after she had been elected to the House and in it she stated that she was pro EU and to leave would be an absolute disaster for the country. She has obviously experienced a Road to Domascus conversion. Perhaps she has had a meeting with the almighty as she seems to have met with everyone else.:yahoo:

Kind Regards

Dave

Great post Dave :- )

10 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

As you can tell Pete, I'm not a fan of Andrea who? I agree with Nick Sussex to an extent, he called her odious which is perhaps a bit strong but I know where he's coming from but having had the huge disappointment of the Brexit vote it would be typical not to get the new leader I want either, may is the lesser of two evils.:D

It's not her Brexit credentials that concern me, Karl; it's her 19th Century view of UK politics...The world has moved on, since wee boys were sent up chimneys? I hope!

As many others have said: I never thought I'd be backing Mrs May for PM!:)

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Yes indeed Karl,

This  morning I was gardening between rain showers, but during one of the heavier bursts of rain I retired indoors and watched part of the Politics Show on BBC1. The part I watched was just before and during that section of the programme that switches to the region one lives in. I, therefore watched that relating to the East of England. As she is a Northamptonshire MP there was an item on her candidateship for Tory leader and PM. It included an excerpt of an interview of her outside Parliament, shortly after she had been elected to the House and in it she stated that she was pro EU and to leave would be an absolute disaster for the country. She has obviously experienced a Road to Domascus conversion. Perhaps she has had a meeting with the almighty as she seems to have met with everyone else.:yahoo:

Kind Regards

Dave

Is that the same as an offer of a 'job' in a post-Brexit Cabinet?

3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

As you can tell Pete, I'm not a fan of Andrea who? I agree with Nick Sussex to an extent, he called her odious which is perhaps a bit strong but I know where he's coming from but having had the huge disappointment of the Brexit vote it would be typical not to get the new leader I want either, may is the lesser of two saviours.:D

Just amended an error in your post!:D

MIA

Anyway this thread has now definitely reached its current life now and should be put to sleep! Who was it who mentioned eu- than-asia?:):):).-

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Is that the same as an offer of a 'job' in a post-Brexit Cabinet?

And she has the support of Bojo and Gove behind her..how surprising:D...not..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

MIA

Anyway this thread has now definitely reached its current life now and should be put to sleep! Who was it who mentioned eu- than-asia?:):):).-

Well you would say that, wouldn't you?...Much easier than 'explaining' all those lies, eh?:nonono:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

And she has the support of Bojo and Gove behind her..how surprising:D...not..

Cor Frosty ...

I love it when you talk 'dirty'!!!.

MIA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

MIA

LOL MIA.. how very dare you amend my post, how impertinent:D

catherine-tate.jpg

8 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Cor Frosty ...

I love it when you talk 'dirty'!!!.

MIA

Lol I never even though that but now you mention it....

th.jpg

• Like 3

So it begins 

Deutsche Bank's Chief Economist Calls For €150 Billion Bailout Of European Banks
The cards have been tipped, and it appears Italy's Prime Minister may have been right.

Recall that in the aftermath of Brexit, much of the investing public's attention has turned to Italian banks which are in desperate need of a bailout as a result of €360 billion in bad loans growing worse by the day (and not a bail-in as European regulations mandate) to avoid a freeze and/or collapse of Italy's banking sector. This has pushed stock prices - and default risk - on Italian banks to record levels. So far Italy's bailout requests have mostly fallen on deaf ears, as Germany's political leaders have resisted Renzi's recurring pleas for a taxpayer funded rescue. However, as we have alleged, and as the Italian Prime Minister admitted last week, the core risk for Europe is not just the Italian banking sector but the biggest bank of all in Europe: Deutsche Bank.

Recall last Thursday, when speaking at a joint news conference with Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, Renzi said other European banks had much bigger problems than their Italian counterparts.

"If this non-performing loan problem is worth one, the question of derivatives at other banks, at big banks, is worth one hundred. This is the ratio: one to one hundred," Renzi said.

Edited by lfcdude
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I am sure Spain and France would welcome a new  influx of disillusioned Brits!!(I didn't say how much!)

I suspect they would not be too interested in the psyche - as long as the wallets were functioning well. ;)

Being serious now: I'm disturbed by some of the posting regarding the tory leadership candidates (in a serious discussion thread).

By all means, attack the policies of each of them but some of the personal aspects are really not what this forum is about!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

So it begins 

Deutsche Bank's Chief Economist Calls For €150 Billion Bailout Of European Banks
The cards have been tipped, and it appears Italy's Prime Minister may have been right.

Recall that in the aftermath of Brexit, much of the investing public's attention has turned to Italian banks which are in desperate need of a bailout as a result of €360 billion in bad loans growing worse by the day (and not a bail-in as European regulations mandate) to avoid a freeze and/or collapse of Italy's banking sector. This has pushed stock prices - and default risk - on Italian banks to record levels. So far Italy's bailout requests have mostly fallen on deaf ears, as Germany's political leaders have resisted Renzi's recurring pleas for a taxpayer funded rescue. However, as we have alleged, and as the Italian Prime Minister admitted last week, the core risk for Europe is not just the Italian banking sector but the biggest bank of all in Europe: Deutsche Bank.

Recall last Thursday, when speaking at a joint news conference with Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, Renzi said other European banks had much bigger problems than their Italian counterparts.

"If this non-performing loan problem is worth one, the question of derivatives at other banks, at big banks, is worth one hundred. This is the ratio: one to one hundred," Renzi said.

Yep Renzi has said he is willing to go it alone to try and save his banks.  A senior central bank official said any suspension of bail in rules would end the banking union as we know it.

Merkel agreed by saying there would be no suspension of bail in rules.

Renzi angry at suggestions he would be breaking rules said he would not be lectured by the school teacher.   Happy place this so called band of brothers.

• Like 5

Frosty....

I think it is an option for the  guys who clearly cannot accept the result.

Many people have felt like that for 30 years, since we held the last ref, where most people were not aware that we were voting for a federal state of Europe!!! (It was before you entered the debate on here that MIke M was trying to make the case that everyone knew that this was the case. However it was buried away in the small print, of some document which no one in their right mind  would have seen, and yet he claims that it was valid!!

I suspect that if we had voted to remain this time there would have been quite a lot of emmigration, but a great deal more immigration!

I am sure Spain and France would welcome a new  influx of disillusioned Brits!!(I didn't say how much!)

MIA

MIA - I cannot think why a thick plod like me at the time was able to realise this and a clever fellow like you didn't - remember very clearly thinking at the time 'we ain't got an empire no more - we've got to make a choice - either we go west and muck in with the USA - that idea did not appeal - or we muck in with our neighbours in Europe, which was much more appealing.

I could see the advantages and expected to be a lot more than just a trading bloc and expected that we could thrive on joint enterprises and achieve economies of scale being joined eventually politically and fiscally.

It was obvious that it was going to go that way.

Should there be another referendum which shows the choice of going west to the states, going back to Europe or staying as single entity, all alone and nobody to play with you will be able to count on be going back to Europe, that's if I am still alive at that time, otherwise I will stipulate it in my will.

I really expect that in years to come history will look back on this referendum as one ginormous mistake and future generations will be asking their parents, 'How could we be so stupid?'  And the parents would be obliged to say, 'Well they didn't go to 'Specsavers'.'

You don't really expect those promises of Gove, Johnson and Farage to come to fruition do you? Especially since they waltzed off into the sunset without a plan as soon as the result came through.

Our society is too fractured and splintered to make great headway on our own - The class war still clearly exists though I keep saying there is not room for it in the 20th century and it won't be until well develop 'Liberté, Egalité and Fraternité' as a cohesive way of knitting society together - Vive l'Europe!

The last time we worked as a more or less cohesive society was when the Luftwaffe were dropping bombs on us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

I hope the press keep digging the dirt on Andrea who? she lapped up the gushing positive headlines before which compared her to a younger Margaret thatcher but she has now shown her true colours, she's superior because she has children and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg..keep dishing the dirt gutter press! :D

She certainly is not my choice - how can you trust a prime minister who lies on her CV and when she gives her 'please chose me speech' she displays obvious delusions of grandeur.

I would trust Theresa far more, at least she has her feet on the ground.

• Like 2

MIA

Not on your Nelly - it's not over by a long chalk yet - you never know, we may not leave after all, or is that a thought you have firmly blocked out of your mind?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

You don't really expect those promises of Gove, Johnson and Farage to come to fruition do you? Especially since they waltzed off into the sunset without a plan as soon as the result came through.

And what plan did Cameron and Osborne have in place?

None because the arrogance of the remain camp suggested that there was no way that they could possibly lose.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kent said:

And what plan did Cameron and Osborne have in place?

None because the arrogance of the remain camp suggested that there was no way that they could possibly lose.

The leavers were the challengers and the ones who made all the promises so wouldn't it have been up to them to have had plans in place, and where are they now?

Arrogance my foot - that's what the leave side have when in fact only 37% of the population voted for them

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nouska said:

I suspect they would not be too interested in the psyche - as long as the wallets were functioning well. ;)

Being serious now: I'm disturbed by some of the posting regarding the tory leadership candidates (in a serious discussion thread).

By all means, attack the policies of each of them but some of the personal aspects are really not what this forum is about!

Don't know, haven't looked at it, as you said earlier there is a choice of two evils and I'm hoping they will choose St Theresa - in my past life I used to vote regularly for the tories but went off them about 20 years ago when this Eurosceptic I need to control my languagee started to rear its ugly head and voted lib dem ever since.

Unfortunately they got a poor showing last time round, unfairly in my view - just hope somebody will have the sense first to replace fptp which is past its sell by date now with PR - how can it be called democratic when the government has ben voted in by a minority of the population?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

and the ones who made all the promises so wouldn't it have been up to them to have had plans in place, and where are they now?

Yeah they all disappeared like flying dust once they finished their dirty work! :diablo: just one left now, Andrea who? hope may wins but there wasn't much choice was there.:D

Not over yet as you say!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yeah they all disappeared like flying dust once they finished their dirty work! :diablo: just one left now, Andrea who? hope may wins but there wasn't much choice was there.:D

Not over yet as you say!

I feel another Roy Orbison hit coming to mind lol.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Arrogance my foot - that's what the leave side have when in fact only 37% of the population voted for them

That means a less % voted remain.

What is your point?

• Like 4

Just now, Ed Stone said:

Not the one I had in mind.  Nice though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kent said:

Not the one I had in mind.  Nice though.

I have no idea how that Carol King got into my post, Kent...? But, I do lerve the Big O: 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

The leavers were the challengers and the ones who made all the promises so wouldn't it have been up to them to have had plans in place, and where are they now?

But the fact is if the remain camp calling this referendum had taken into consideration that they could lose then the obvious conclusion is they should have had some contingency plans in place.

• Like 2