Sign in to follow this  
nick sussex

EU Referendum

52 minutes ago, ciel said:

Why is it the wrong thread? I posted in response to a post in the referendum thread.  The economic position past and future, of the the UK is very relevant to the EU debate ! .

For what it is worth, I think Gordon B was /is a genuine politician, even though I don't conform to his views.

I wasn't suggesting your post was in the wrong thread, I was mostly commenting on me replying, as I  didn't want to haul things on to a party political basis too much as I figured there was enough of that in the uk politics thread

Ah interesting

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-out-campaign-attacks-european-parliament-for-recommending-saudi-arabia-arms-embargo-a6897036.html

EU Out campaign attacks European Parliament for recommending Saudi Arabia arms embargo

So vote leave doesn't like that the EU are trying to stop the flow of weapons to Saudi Arabia, probably because of the loss of trade. Is it ethical to freely trade arms with countries actively partaking in violent atrocities in the middle east? I think this is a good idea and should be applied across the majority of states in the region.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

38 minutes ago, kent said:

National debt at present £1.2 trillion and rising.  Osborne has borrowed more in 4 years than Labour did in 13years.   The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting robbed.

Welcome to the debate Frosty.  This is a brutal thread.  This is no place for the ingenuous simplistic lol.

Sorry Kent you are so wrong,it was the the result of the Labour government and there union backed polices that have resulted in the current debt crisis,the debt will keep increasing regardless of what any government action would take place. No idea why that isn't obvious,the debt needs to be reduced and the only way is to support and grow the economy. This government has started on the path,just hope it remains there.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I suppose it's all relative - I mean anyone could look competent following the likes of Gordon Brown :D 

I disagree, Paul, if that is allowed.:D 

Gordon is a competent economist, he was just overwhelmed by the politics of the time, you know, the populist ones. He genuinely cared about people from disadvantaged backgrounds. His personality and conflict with Blair disadvantaged him.

I just can't understand what has happened to David Cameron during this campaign. He has gone from "we are the fifth biggest economy in the world, of course we can go it alone" to claiming a British exit would put "a bomb under our economy".

What gives?! How can anyone make a choice when our own Prime Minister gives mixed signals. His credibility during this whole sorry episode has been lost.

I am still weighing up the decision on in or out - but certainly, the remain and leave camps have both been as bad as each other with their 'facts'... or should I say, lies.

Good luck Britain, either way, you'll need it.

2 minutes ago, ciel said:

How very dare you disagree with paul:D

th.jpg

2 minutes ago, ciel said:

Gordon is a competent economist, he was just overwhelmed by the politics of the time, you know, the populist ones. He genuinely cared about people from disadvantaged backgrounds. His personality and conflict with Blair disadvantaged him.

Gordon Brown will always be a hero for his election faux pas just as Tomas Shafernacker of the finger on BBC Weather will be. These unscripted moments live long in the memory. And I agree Gordon Brown has been unfairly treated.

4 minutes ago, ciel said:

After the humiliating backtrack on his disgusting disability cuts plan (we're all in it together), it's hard to believe anyone has anything other than contempt for Osborne.

Just now, Yarmy said:

After the humiliating backtrack on his disgusting disability cuts plan (we're all in it together), it's hard to believe anyone has anything other than contempt for Osborne.

That can also be laid at the door of IDS who makes me want to vomit when he starts up his " sudden caring for the poor"  routine. I'm not sure what I find more disturbing the fact that the UK might leave the EU or that so many voters are being suckered into the Gove and Johnson  transformation into the disciples of Mother Theresa! The fact they have the gall to stand there suddenly caring for the NHS is vomit inducing of Exorcist proportions. Its difficult to find any politician that comes out of this carcrash of a campaign with the remotest of credit.

The media have been complicit in giving so much airtime to the Punch and Judy Show and letting down the public, its turned into a personality contest and a daily soap opera.

11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

just as Tomas Shafernacker of the finger on BBC Weather

Classic moment, hey it's more fun in here than the model output discussion. haha. A bit of light relief from the heated political debate:D

download.jpg

images.jpg

Yes Lfc Andrew Neil was in great form. You can see why no politician wants to go near him, I look forward to his interviews with IDS and Nigel Farage which I'm sure will be equally brutal. Not forgetting Osborne on Wednesday.

10 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Classic moment, hey it's more fun in here than the model output discussion. haha. A bit of light relief from the heated political debate:D

download.jpg

images.jpg

The debate is not a joke, however which way you may wish to vote. It is a serious decision....and I have viewed that video before.....a few months ago

Edited by ciel

26 minutes ago, ciel said:

And what about Bill Badger? Didn't he, a super-competent Tory Chancellor, take us into and out of the ERM, and, subsequently, blame all the economic woes on Japan? 

1 minute ago, ciel said:

The debate is not a joke, however which way you may wish to vote. It is a serious decision....and I have viewed that video before.....

LOL chill out, it's been so heated in here I got burned earlier:D

10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes Lfc Andrew Neil was in great form. You can see why no politician wants to go near him, I look forward to his interviews with IDS and Nigel Farage which I'm sure will be equally brutal. Not forgetting Osborne on Wednesday.

Farage has no issue with him always willing to go on his shows and QT... Oh and Farage is on QT this week btw! Will be fun in Farage Dodgy Dave Q and A if Andrew Neil goes after Dodgy Dave 

For a political memes though... Dodgy Dave sticks.. Just like Lieing Ted.. and little marco 

Edited by lfcdude

8 minutes ago, ciel said:

The debate is not a joke, however which way you may wish to vote. It is a serious decision....and I have viewed that video before.....a few months ago

Someone needs to stop taking themselves so seriously........smile, it may never happen.

1 minute ago, Airedalejoe said:

Someone needs to stop taking themselves so seriously........smile, it may never happen.

As politicians say, hear hear hear:D

1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

LOL chill out, it's been so heated in here I got burned earlier:D

Now you mention it, I think some (not all) outers would like to see a fire burn in Europe, the excitement of it all intrigues them. I have had dealings with young arsonists and the one thing they come to understand is that there are consequences afterwards.

3 minutes ago, ciel said:

Now you mention it, I think some (not all) outers would like to see a fire burn in Europe, the excitement of it all intrigues them. I have had dealings with young arsonists and the one thing they come to understand is that there are consequences afterwards.

Well, I'm voting to stay in for the various reasons I gave earlier and just to say, I respect the seriousness of this discussion but I think a bit of light relief is needed sometimes when the atmosphere in here gets too brutal. .just my thoughts.:)

Undecided but erring towards voting to leave. The pompous, sneering campaign remain has ran has actually embarrassed me even more than leave's outright racism. 

The new European 10 steps to a safer world re part of the global defence strategy to be unveiled conveniently after the referendum. Never read so much politically correct waffly claptrap.

this caught my eye

Climate change must therefore feature in all discussions on security.

That's a joke isn't it ? Surely ..please 

http://www.friendsofeurope.org/security-europe/10-steps-for-a-safer-world/

Edited by cobbett

The referendum is really pointless.

if Brexit wins by a small majority, unelected EU savages will make us re vote until they win as is the norm in 'democratic'  EU

if Brexit wins by a large majority the vote will be ignored by EU savages, and the government 'stalling' on pulling us out.

if leave win we go on as is.

i value democracy.

the Eu is already a dictatorship.

we should at least vote to leave. Send a message to the dictators. 

The unelected thugs' who run the EU and their dreams come to an end peacefully at the ballot box or by violence and bloodshed. 

Edited by tomp456

10 minutes ago, cobbett said:

That's a joke isn't it ? Surely ..please 

I agree Cobbett it is a joke.   And don't call me Shirley lol.

19 minutes ago, Isolated Frost said:

Undecided but erring towards voting to leave. The pompous, sneering campaign remain in England has ran has actually embarrassed me even more than leave's outright racism. 

Fixed that for you. :D

Our remain campaign* is very positive in general and has complained about the Remain campaigns negative tactics south of the border. 

Probably helps explain why polls continue to suggest a very solid Remain vote in Scotland on the highest turnout in the UK.

---

*Totally different one legally registered here under a different name etc.

Edited by scottish skier