Sign in to follow this  
nick sussex

EU Referendum

How many more dead children have to wash up onto a beach before Cameron finds some humanity and compassion? Fair enough for people to have a problem with economic migration but how can the UK just do nothing given the seriousness of the situation.

Their is no way to deal with it... Europe's approach to this by accepting pretty much everyone has created this mess and sent messages to 10s of millions of people if you make it... A better life awaits, If Europe took R approach from the beginning... Many would of been put of from making this trip 

How many more dead children have to wash up onto a beach before Cameron finds some humanity and compassion? Fair enough for people to have a problem with economic migration but how can the UK just do nothing given the seriousness of the situation.

Yes. It's disgusting. The Scottish Government are ready and willing to help, but Cameron is actively blocking this. As Scotland has no control over immigration, there's nothing the Scottish Government can do.

If Dave is happy to watch dead kids wash ashore on beaches, then that's on his conscience. However, he should immediately allow devolved administrations to help instead of blocking them.

• Like 3

Their is no way to deal with it... Europe's approach to this by accepting pretty much everyone has created this mess and sent messages to 10s of millions of people if you make it... A better life awaits, If Europe took R approach from the beginning... Many would of been put of from making this trip

This is a humanitarian crisis , imagine if the UK took the same attitude during World War 2. Just hoping the problem is going to go away which is the attitude of Cameron won't solve anything . The EU needs a coherent strategy and one which is fair to all European countries, the problem is any quota system will be used as a political football by Eurosceptics and it's really the politics and not the practicalities that seem to be the biggest problem. Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Erm what? The UK is like 4.5% muslim. How the hell could it possibly become a 'muslim country' in a few years. Have you been outside your house recently?

Where do you live then??? I worked in the 4th most deprived health authority in the UK for 10-years.......have you spent time in the Black Country recently then? Have you spent time in West Bromwich, in Smethwick, in Bearwood, in Cape Hill and walked around City Hospital on the outskirts of Birmingham to see what the majority culture is in these parts? Unfortunately a large majority will not fit into western life - they wish to come here to live but retain their muslim culture. We couldn't go to a muslim country to live and expect them to adopt a western lifestyle for us because they simply won't do it. Try riding the number 79 bus through these areas and you may take a slightly different view of things. I suspect the same could be said for areas in the north of the UK. We cannot keep taking displaced people from around the world, our infrastructure - health in particular simply cannot absorb it and if you think it can, then you are misguided. They need to be integrated with people of their own beliefs and customs, i.e., remain in the middle east. This is my humble view and I will not change it.

This is a humanitarian crisis , imagine if the UK took the same attitude during World War 2. Just hoping the problem is going to go away which is the attitude of Cameron won't solve anything . The EU needs a coherent strategy and one which is fair to all European countries, the problem is any quota system will be used as a political football by Eurosceptics and it's really the politics and not the practicalities that seem to be the biggest problem.

The quota system means nothing anyways as once granted asylum their then free to move anywhere in the EU their like

We have a large enough foreign aide budget that should be used for true humanitarian crises instead it seems to find its way into corrupt governments in corrupt country's just divert that money and spend it on some refugee camps in the middle east and north Africa protected by nato forces problem solved

Edited by lfcdude

Well said, absolutely right. The message needs to be sent that they need to stop trying to move to into Europe. If we continue to accept these migrants it sends the wrong message.

• Like 2

Well said, absolutely right. The message needs to be sent that they need to stop trying to move to into Europe. If we continue to accept these migrants it sends the wrong message.

It's the 'right message' that's bothering me: let them all die of starvation; it's nowt to do with us, that their homes have been smart-bombed into rubble?

• Like 3

Where do you live then??? 

I'm sitting in an office which is ~1/3 muslim if you must know. It's terrifying. The like eat food and sleep... Have kids, go to work. They're just not like us! Aaargh!

And what on earth has where I live got to do with the fact that 95.5% of the British population isn't muslim, ergo there's zero chance of Britain becoming a muslim country in 3 years.

We couldn't go to a muslim country to live and expect them to adopt a western lifestyle for us because they simply won't do it. 

Clearly, you haven't been to muslim countries. Expats all live primarily in expat compounds where they enjoy a western lifestyle. Saudi Arabia is a classic example. It is the birthplace of islam yet the European / US oil worker (my industry - I've been a few times) ex-pats walk around in bikinis and have pool parties with booze in their sprawling compounds.

Hell this even happens with brits in non-muslim countries; have you been to southern spain for example? You can go to the 'Lion's head' for a pint and a full english breakfast.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

This is a humanitarian crisis , imagine if the UK took the same attitude during World War 2. Just hoping the problem is going to go away which is the attitude of Cameron won't solve anything . The EU needs a coherent strategy and one which is fair to all European countries, the problem is any quota system will be used as a political football by Eurosceptics and it's really the politics and not the practicalities that seem to be the biggest problem.

Well we did to a certain extent. We were not very keen on accepting Jews fleeing persecution in the 30s and funneled most of them off elsewhere, mainly Palestine although Canada and the US took many.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

What would you do if the alternative choice was the threat of death? These people are desperate and have taken the view that it's a risk worth taking to cross the Med. Theres too much politics being played across the EU and not enough sensible solutions being put forward.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

It's the 'right message' that's bothering me: let them all die of starvation; it's nowt to do with us, that their homes have been smart-bombed into rubble?

Its not about refusing them assistance its purely and simply we cannot keep accommodating them here in the UK and we caanot encourage them to think travelling here is the answer to their problems, As I said months ago in a previous post on this argument, the west is damned if it gets involved in a middle east crisis and its damned it it doesn't - we cannot win whatever we do. We need to let them get on with whatever they want to do in their own countries and if that is to fight amongst themselves even if it is their want to do this but we need to keep our noses well out of middle east affairs. I note Russia who is probably more involved in the Syrian crisis than anyone with "Pukin" arming Syria to,the hilt is notably silent on the whole issue - why isn't the Merkhl woman bleating at him.

I'm sitting in an office which is ~1/3 muslim if you must know. It's terrifying. The like eat food and sleep... Have kids, go to work. They're just not like us! Aaargh!

And what on earth has where I live got to do with the fact that 95.5% of the British population isn't muslim, ergo there's zero chance of Britain becoming a muslim country in 3 years.

Clearly, you haven't been to muslim countries. Expats all live primarily in expat compounds where they enjoy a western lifestyle. Saudi Arabia is a classic example. It is the birthplace of islam yet the European / US oil worker (my industry - I've been a few times) ex-pats walk around in bikinis and have pool parties with booze in their sprawling compounds.

Hell this even happens with brits in non-muslim countries; have you been to southern spain for example? You can go to the 'Lion's head' for a pint and a full english breakfast.

You said it, they live in COMPOUNDS that is hardly integration IS iT

What would you do if the alternative choice was the threat of death? These people are desperate and have taken the view that it's a risk worth taking to cross the Med. Theres too much politics being played across the EU and not enough sensible solutions being put forward.

If they are so desperate why are they clamouring to get to northern European countries like Germany and demanding entry in..These to me are not genuine refugees..most are refusing to claim asylum in Greece and Italy etc..but are heading for Germany who are a bit of a soft touch when granting asylum and they know it...once they have that status they are free to travel anywhere they want in the EU.

• Like 2

Exactly, as a parent you don't jump in a flimsy rubber boat with your young kids and attempt to cross the Med unless you are desperate.

We really need to be clear that there is a difference between 'migrants' (especially economic migrants) and 'refugees'. It's the latter we need to concentrate on helping, the ones who have left through having little other choice but to do so. Now if that means putting pressure on the neighboring countries to set up more refugee camps, funded by the EU, then so be it. Provide shelter, food and security and then people may not feel the desperate need to risk their lives and those of their families.

• Like 2

You may want to check where these people are coming from before parroting that line. Eritrea for example is a country that was propped up by the Soviets and has little to do with the west. In Syria you guys were told there would be no peace and yet you cheered our lack of intervention at the time.

I have little time for the views of some people on this issue. Its always our fault and never their own, they can't possibly be culturally inferior when it comes to stable government and wealth creation, the asylum seekers can't possibly go to Turkey instead of the UK, we must fill our country with this horde.

And, like, who's encouraging them to leave those compounds then, eh? The logic is bizarre: lock folks away behind electrified fences and/or armed guard, and then castigate them for not 'integrating with their respective hosts'? You couldn't make it up! :cc_confused:

Ex-pat Brits chose to segregate themselves from Muslims in Muslim countries. Seems they don't want to mix with muslims.

Could that help explain the problem in Britain?

Edited by scottish skier

You may want to check where these people are coming from before parroting that line. Eritrea for example is a country that was propped up by the Soviets and has little to do with the west. In Syria you guys were told there would be no peace and yet you cheered our lack of intervention at the time.

I have little time for the views of some people on this issue. Its always our fault and never their own, they can't possibly be culturally inferior when it comes to stable government and wealth creation, the asylum seekers can't possibly go to Turkey instead of the UK, we must fill our country with this horde.

I don't think the dead Syrian lad, face-down on a Turkich beech' was an Eritrean-born Soviet spy. Do you? Is Cold War paranoia still that en vogue??

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/07/austrians-opening-homes-refugees-150714140340807.html

Why Austrians are opening their homes to refugees

In the midst of an asylum housing crisis in Austria, a new initiative invites refugees to stay in people’s spare rooms.

Vienna, Austria - Sitting on a sofa in their Vienna flat, they laughed as they planned their night out together.

Although the conversation sounded like it could have been any exchange among flatmates, this flat-share was slightly unusual.

Uche Daniel, 25, is a refugee from Nigeria. He had met his Austrian flatmates - Patricia Hartl and Simone Fidler - two weeks earlier through Flüchtlinge Willkommen (Refugees Welcome), an initiative inviting asylum seekers and refugees to stay in people's spare rooms instead of in mass accommodation centres.

To be honest, a 'Humanitarian Refugee Crisis' Thread might be apt; this one being about the EUref.

Also there have been numerous conflicts in the middle east before that have created numerous refugees but as genuine refugees previously they did not flock to Europe...so why now? why are hundreds of thousands of people suddenly trying to get into Europe? Im sure if the USA was of the coast of Portugal they would be trying to get there instead would they not??

Why are the BBC calling this a 'migrant crisis'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-34136615

It's a 'humanitarian refugee crisis'.

We should be clear that once a refugee reaches a same place such as France they become migrants in attempting to reach the UK. There is a genuine crisis but there is also a lot of bull from those Calais. 

• Like 2

This migrant / refugee crisis could be the beginning of the end of the "European Project" thank god.

Britain should stay well out of this. If Germany and the rest of Europe want to take thousands of them in then let them, aslong as they don't make it over here eventually.

• Like 2

This migrant / refugee crisis could be the beginning of the end of the "European Project" thank god.

Britain should stay well out of this. If Germany and the rest of Europe want to take thousands of them in then let them, aslong as they don't make it over here eventually.

Now I know where the conservatives stand. David wants out. 

I think we should take thousands in too.

• Like 2

I think that the constant use of the words, 'them', 'their' and 'they' just about sums it up: whoever they are we must blame them, after all, it's all their fault...How convenient! :fool:

We should be clear that once a refugee reaches a same place such as France they become migrants in attempting to reach the UK. There is a genuine crisis but there is also a lot of bull from those Calais. 

Like when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly? Do they pupate in refugee camps?

Edited by Ed Stone