Sign in to follow this  
nick sussex

EU Referendum

Aye, leave the bairns to drown and be washed up on the beach.

Some, in the gutter press and gutter politics, would prefer the word 'cockroaches' to 'bairns'...

• Like 1

Nice to hear DC's interpretation of the 'solution' to the migrant situation :    "To try to stabilise and bring peace to those countries."  Erm that will be those countries that you  helped destabilize in the first place?  

Too late Mr Cameron,  it's payback time and you are going to have to deal with it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34130067

• Like 2

Britain is taking a right old bashing on the news media channels in Germany and Austria at the moment. Apart from the right wing hub here in Karten ( Klagenfurt administration ) showing some support for Britains conservative stance. Strange that it is that 70 years ago the British Army hunted out the Nazis supporters from this neck of the woods, Villach/ Spittal and liberated the concentration camps in nearby Slovenia. Britain does not need any lectures from Europe about liberation, sacrifice or freedom of movement of people. Recent history of the Falklands conflict against the military junta in Argentina had no support from Europe. Europe does not like Britain because its different, stands up for what it feels is right and most of all is the true freedom fighters of a fairer society. Not liked but respected.

C

• Like 2

"True freedom fighters of a fairer society "!!!

LOL.

The UK is amongst the least fair societies in the West.

SS posted a study on this a while back.

These refugees are fleeing a conflict caused in part by UK Government policies.

UKIPPERS have blood on their hands tonight.

• Like 5

"True freedom fighters of a fairer society "!!!

LOL.

The UK is amongst the least fair societies in the West.

SS posted a study on this a while back.

These refugees are fleeing a conflict caused in part by UK Government policies.

UKIP are not in power, and one of their key policies is not to start or get involved in wars on foreign shores. The blood lies firmly on the hands of those with their hands on the steering wheel!

Lets stop those from Eastern Europe from coming here in their droves and lets take instead our fair share of refugees who really do need our help.

The most blood lies in Tony Blair's hands, why that guy in not up on war crimes I will never know? 

Edited by HighPressure
  • Like 4

Britain is taking a right old bashing on the news media channels in Germany and Austria at the moment. Apart from the right wing hub here in Karten ( Klagenfurt administration ) showing some support for Britains conservative stance. Strange that it is that 70 years ago the British Army hunted out the Nazis supporters from this neck of the woods, Villach/ Spittal and liberated the concentration camps in nearby Slovenia. Britain does not need any lectures from Europe about liberation, sacrifice or freedom of movement of people. Recent history of the Falklands conflict against the military junta in Argentina had no support from Europe. Europe does not like Britain because its different, stands up for what it feels is right and most of all is the true freedom fighters of a fairer society. Not liked but respected.

C

In the context of this week it's incredibly difficult to see Britain as 'freedom fighters of a fairer society'.

The UK is taking a bit of a bashing from Belgian/French media too and it hurts. 

Strange they didn't order any military intervention in fact they weren't in power and didn't even have any MP's. The real people to blame are Blair and Cameron and people who supported their moral crusades in the middle east.

• Like 2

Strange they didn't order any military intervention in fact they weren't in power and didn't even have any MP's. The real people to blame are Blair and Cameron and people who supported their moral crusades in the middle east.

The usual soundbite. Blame Blair for everything that's happened in the ME, including the crucifiction. Saves giving any meaningful thought to the real reasons that are rather complex but must feature the age old schism within Islam. Just have a quick look at the history of the region post WW2.

Cameron must carry some blame for not finishing the job in Libya but Blair was a staunch advocate of intervention in Syria when if carried out could well have saved hundreds of thousands of lives and untold human suffering. We will never know now but he sure as hell isn't to blame for the ongoing refugee tragedy.

Edited by knocker

I'm struggling to find the UKIP/refugee crisis link. How can a relatively new party, that advocates a split from the EU, and has never held power in government, have "blood on it's hands" for refugees fleeing conflict and persecution in countries outside the EU?

The way the EU is handling this crisis I'm inclined to say that UKIP might actually be onto something.

• Like 4

UKIP are not in power, and one of their key policies is not to start or get involved in wars on foreign shores. The blood lies firmly on the hands of those with their hands on the steering wheel!

Lets stop those from Eastern Europe from coming here in their droves and lets take instead our fair share of refugees who really do need our help.

The most blood lies in Tony Blair's hands, why that guy in not up on war crimes I will never know? 

There's still time, although it seems the inquiry is hindered a lot by American red tape, not sure if the inquiry got access to the stuff that can not be made public due to national security, may be they did who knows.

UKIP are not in power and are not responsible for the conflicts in the middle east.

What they are guilty of is driving the anti immigrant/refugee vitriol which in turn has made UK government policy anti immigrant/refugee.

This has led to desperate people doing desperate things and bairns being washed up dead on beaches.

UKIP are not in power and are not responsible for the conflicts in the middle east.

What they are guilty of is driving the anti immigrant/refugee vitriol which in turn has made UK government policy anti immigrant/refugee.

This has led to desperate people doing desperate things and bairns being washed up dead on beaches.

The government have decided on their stance all by themselves, there has and always will be a minority of brits who are anti immigrant/refugee. It's more or less the first time ever, we have a government that seems to agree, though I'm not 100% sure that they do. The conservatives at the moment just seem to be trying to keep everyone happy about everything no matter what their views are about anything. Something's got to give sometime. It's all a guessing game as to what cameron is thinking about any given subject except welfare.

There's still time, although it seems the inquiry is hindered a lot by American red tape, not sure if the inquiry got access to the stuff that can not be made public due to national security, may be they did who knows.

As far as I'm concerned the only crime committed in Iraq by the coalition was the shambles post war but importantly they didn't walk away from their mistakes. Rather, it strove to correct them by sustaining a costly military commitment for seven years, achieving a dramatic improvement in Iraq’s stability by the end of 2007.

Six years later, the Times’s Anthony Loyd, a journalist with more than twenty years’ experience of covering conflicts, was able to report that “contrary to the perception among western publics . . . the lot of the clear majority of Iraqis today is measurably improved. Many have a better quality of life, greater freedom of expression and more opportunity than during Saddam’s era.â€

Since then, of course, things have taken a turn for the worse. For that the responsibility lies mainly with prime minister Nouri al-Maliki’s sectarian government fully supported by Iran. The policies of this government inevitable caused huge unrest in the Iraq hinterland and the Sunni tribes and so prepared the ground for ISIS which they gleefully accepted. From there it was but a short step into Syria where the  population were being carpet bombed by Assad and so started the diaspora and the ongoing human tragedy.

Blair charged with war crimes? Not in my book. The primary responsibility for the carnage must rest with the perpetrators and those who supported them.

Just to add I've no time for Blair, particularly his post office money making scams which have earned him a fortune.

Edited by knocker

As far as I'm concerned the only crime committed in Iraq by the coalition was the shambles post war but importantly they didn't walk away from their mistakes. Rather, it strove to correct them by sustaining a costly military commitment for seven years, achieving a dramatic improvement in Iraq’s stability by the end of 2007.

Six years later, the Times’s Anthony Loyd, a journalist with more than twenty years’ experience of covering conflicts, was able to report that “contrary to the perception among western publics . . . the lot of the clear majority of Iraqis today is measurably improved. Many have a better quality of life, greater freedom of expression and more opportunity than during Saddam’s era.â€

Since then, of course, things have taken a turn for the worse. For that the responsibility lies mainly with prime minister Nouri al-Maliki’s sectarian government fully supported by Iran. The policies of this government inevitable caused huge unrest in the Iraq hinterland and the Sunni tribes and so prepared the ground for ISIS which they gleefully accepted. From there it was but a short step into Syria where the  population were being carpet bombed by Assad and so started the diaspora and the ongoing human tragedy.

Blair charged with war crimes? Not in my book. The primary responsibility for the carnage must rest with the perpetrators and those who supported them.

Just to add I've no time for Blair, particularly his post office money making scams which have earned him a fortune.

Nah, you've got it all wrong, Knocker. All the blame for every bit of conflict and strife in the Middle East lies solely with UK/US military intervention and our foreign policy.

Or so I've heard...

The government have decided on their stance all by themselves, there has and always will be a minority of brits who are anti immigrant/refugee. It's more or less the first time ever, we have a government that seems to agree, though I'm not 100% sure that they do. The conservatives at the moment just seem to be trying to keep everyone happy about everything no matter what their views are about anything. Something's got to give sometime. It's all a guessing game as to what cameron is thinking about any given subject except welfare.

I agree with that. To me the statements emanating from Cameron's office just highlight the complete lack of humanity frequently shown by Cameron and his cronies which first manifested itself with the treatment of the poor and the disabled and has now reached a peak with the washing of the hands of the plight of refugees. It sure as hell doesn't make me proud to be British.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Why do you hate the EU so much that you'd stop white christian/atheists who are educated from coming but then you'd capitulate to the left and let Africans and Muslims come here.

Wanting less immigration is fair enough but why you'd then accept the rabble in Calais is questionable.

You do realise that Nigel Farage has consistently said the UK should be accepting Syrian refugees. He was saying this before the general election even.

UKIP are not responsible for a dead toddler being washed up on a Turkish beach, point the finger at the EU and Blair, you know the ones that are responsible. 

• Like 1

To me the statements emanating from Cameron's office just highlight the complete lack of humanity frequently shown by Cameron and his cronies which first manifested itself with the treatment of the poor and the disabled and has now reached a peak with the washing of the hands of the plight of refugees. It sure as hell doesn't make proud to be British.

I wholeheartedly agree, I'm becoming increasingly ashamed of this country and its lack of compassion. 'Great Britain', there's little 'great' left about it any more.

So maybe we don't want to take everyone, but what about those that can prove they come from a war zone, those with children only? Create refugee centers, we've cut back the military enough that there has to be some suitable ex-military bases/housing available. Let the refugees largely run and maintain the places. They aren't allowed to live or work outside these centres.

How do we pay for it? Well how much does your average 'smart bomb' cost? It'll also probably be a boost to the local economies around the centres, much more so than throwing a few tonnes of high explosive into some houses in Syria.

Make it clear to the refugees that it's a temporary stay in the UK. Once Mr Cameron's fantastic plan to stabilise the countries they've come from has worked, they go home. That might even give the government some sort of incentive to actually carry though on this new stabilisation plan.

Maybe not a perfect solution, but at least something like this will show a degree of compassion so far missing from our countries response to this whole crisis.

• Like 5

Perhaps we should look again at taking a small number of genuine christian refugees but the middle east muslim countries should be offering sanctuary to fellow muslims. The UK will be a muslim country in a few years time if we are not careful and I don't want this to happen, I will be appalled. A huge proportion of these migrants trying to to get into Europe appear to be young men and we should not be accepting this, who knows where it will end, they need to be sent back. Nigel Farage saw the writing on the wall ages ago and he is dead right in that we need to ditch europe asap - trade agreements will stand firm I do believe. That ridiculously silly women in Germany with her open border policy is at the root of this problem and she needs to sort it out without crying to the UK, who are not part of the open border agreement. Cameron is actually right that continually accepting the burden of migrants is not the answer it sends the wrong message and they will keep coming, uncontrolled migration into the west is not the way forward.

The UK will be a muslim country in a few years time if we are not careful and I don't want this to happen, I will be appalled. 

Erm what? The UK is like 4.5% muslim. How the hell could it possibly become a 'muslim country' in a few years. Have you been outside your house recently?

Also the most charitable group of people in Britain according to studies.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article3820522.ece

Muslims ‘are Britain’s top charity givers’

Maybe we should learn something from them?

• Like 3

FWIW, we should all acknowledge the fact that Nigel Farage has indeed called for the UK to accept more refugees...

• Like 3

After living for most of nearly 10 years in the hub of Europe , there seems to be a strong anti English rhetoric in the media, particularly since David Cameron took charge. I have a feeling this will only galvanise the no support as many little Englanders do not like to be told what to do. Hope I am wrong, as I want the UK to remain part of the EEC. Scotland and Ireland seem to fair better in the media over here, but England that's another story . Many of my friends over here have a latent admiration for Britain and would not like it to leave. They don't quite grasp the mentality of the stand alone attitude of the British in general.

C

• Like 1

there seems to be a strong anti English rhetoric in the media, particularly since David Cameron took charge.

Welcome to Scotland's world in terms of the UK press.

Edited by scottish skier

How many more dead children have to wash up onto a beach before Cameron finds some humanity and compassion? Fair enough for people to have a problem with economic migration but how can the UK just do nothing given the seriousness of the situation.

• Like 4

A statistical perspective on the Syrian Refugee crisis and numbers seeking refuge in Europe.

After the tragic crisis in Syria, more than half of all Syrians have left their homes. Where are they?