Sign in to follow this  
nick sussex

EU Referendum

18 minutes ago, davehsug said:

When you keep spouting rubbish like this, I just wonder who you are trying to convince? Certainly you don't come across as stupid, so it must be something else. Whatever it is, the rhetoric and bluster just gets louder and barmier.

Well if nothing else it goes to prove that spouting rubbish is not solely your preserve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

CC, would your informant be Mystic Meg by any chance, otherwise as far as I am concerned nobody really knows what the future will hold - the best we can really do is to make educated guesses on what appears to be realistic and I certainly don't look upon my viewpoint and the other remainers as being naïve and do not regard the EU as going down the pan financially, morally and ethically.

I still think you are prepared to abandon ship without first seeing if the hole can be plugged, thereby committing yourself to be adrift on the ocean wave without a compass and sufficient food or water in peril of perishing.

Thanks but I will stay and listen to the music and not be taken in by these unscrupulous, unsubstantiated arguments from the leavers :) 

That's fine, as I said you crack on, but I'm under no illusion that history will judge our failure to exit on Jun 23rd as one of the biggest mistakes of modern times - probably up there in fact with allowing davehsug to join the forum:yahoo:

• Like 3

BBC Question Time ‏@bbcquestiontime  Apr 20

This week's #bbcqt panel from Exeter in full: @LiamFoxMP; @KateHoeyMP; @paddyashdown; @LeanneWood; and Tim Martin

Looks another good QT tonight. Get to hear leanne woods accent bonos 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

Obama.....in coming here and telling us to do the exact polar opposite of what the US does

Forgive me, but I always thought the 'United States of Europe' warning from outers related to the USA united federation of states which share a single currency?

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SP1986 said:

Snowycat Did you actually ask your grandparent about this or have you just assumed? You do realise that if he voted out with the intention of moving around EU with the help of EU freedom of movement he would then be a hypocrite. More likely I think he would vote to stay in EU and because it doesn't fit in with your view it's alright. Like a lot of the leave campaign members you've demonstrated that you don't care anyone's plight except your ownn

Actually its my uncle if you read the post and no I don't assume anything.We've had many a discussion when aunt and uncle have returned for visits.  He was a small businessman for many years, worked exceptionally hard at his engineering business, made alot of money and retired to Lanzarote.  He believes, having voted to join the common market years ago, that the EU is a complete and utter mess and the UK's best interest is to leave the EU and return to developing trade agreements with Europe.  However, living in Lanzarote, like so many others on here who live abroad, and might I say are looking out for THEIR best interests,  if we leave the EU his standard of living would not be so easy so he would have to return home.  Therefore living abroad in a EU country if he could vote of course he'd vote to stay in but that would obviously be a personal vote to protect his way of life - as I say thank god he can't vote!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

That's fine, as I said you crack on, but I'm under no illusion that history will judge our failure to exit on Jun 23rd as one of the biggest mistakes of modern times - probably up there in fact with allowing davehsug to join the forum:yahoo:

How can it be judged as one of the biggest mistakes if you don't know what will happen in terms of assurances. Plus you're just assuming a future in the EU will be bleak. Well I'll tell you... if we get a prime minister who is genuinely interested in the British-EU relationship in a none greed driven way, our future in EU will be bright. The problem is those so called politicians that you expect to give you a great independent Britain are the ones who don't get involved in EU matters, just sitting in the sidelines like an unpopular substitute with no confidence and you expect them to be able to put the great back in Britain!. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike Meehan said:

That is quite right, neither are the Channel Isles, nor the Isle of Man, Monaco or Andorra just to mention but a few.

Blimey, arent you worried about joining a "potential federation of countries" when you're not sure of your fellow members....

• Like 1

Oh dear the two founders of Grassroots Out, Peter Bone and Tom Pursglove have been accused of pocketing money and using GO as a business rather than a not for profit organisation.

In other news the UK Statistics Authority has criticized Vote Leave for continuing to mislead the public on the amount paid to the EU.

In whats not been a great week so far for Vote Leave its lucky that not many people watch the Daily Politics.

Next folks will be calling for United States of Great Britain with a single currency and armed forces.

Terrifying.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Oh dear the two founders of Grassroots Out, Peter Bone and Tom Pursglove have been accused of pocketing moneyarrow-10x10.png and using GO as a business rather than a not for profitarrow-10x10.png organisation.

In other news the UK Statistics Authority has criticized Vote Leave for continuing to mislead the public on the amount paid to the EU.

In whats not been a great week so far for Vote Leave its lucky that not many people watch the Daily Politics.

LOL lets watch daily politics same show  Ed Vaizey Car crash for remain 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ed-vaizey-gets-savaged-by-andrew-neil-during-awkward-bbc-brexit-interview_uk_571780fce4b0dc55ceeb5905

Edited by lfcdude

22 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

That's more than disgusting it's pure filth, how dare they. They are changing history to fit their agenda for a start. As well as putting words in the mouths of people that are not around to talk.

Can I help put this to bed?  Don't assume people are not around to talk.  I have spent time today talking with a neighbour.  He is well into his 90's and as a young man fought under Monty at El Alamein as a desert rat - he had a tough time.  He believes the UK should vote to exit the EU.  He believes he and his fellow soldiers fought and died to keep the sovereignty of this country intact allowing us to be independent with our own borders free to make our own rules and govern ourselves.  He feels the UK is not the country he fought for and is sad to see what the country has become including the influx of so many immigrants.  He also believes the young people in this country seem to think the elderly should not have views.......so perhaps, with respect, those of you bumping your gums about NOT using the experience of 2 world wars as a valued point for exiting the EU let it rest....

• Like 4

23 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

That's more than disgusting it's pure filth, how dare they. They are changing history to fit their agenda for a start. As well as putting words in the mouths of people that are not around to talk.

Can I help put this to bed?  Don't assume people are not around to talk.  I have spent time today talking with a neighbour.  He is well into his 90's and as a young man fought under Monty at El Alamein as a desert rat - he had a tough time.  He believes the UK should vote to exit the EU.  He believes he and his fellow soldiers fought and died to keep the sovereignty of this country intact allowing us to be independent with our own borders free to make our own rules and govern ourselves.  He feels the UK is not the country he fought for and is sad to see what the country has become including the influx of so many immigrants.  He also believes the young people in this country seem to think the elderly should not have views.......so perhaps, with respect, those of you bumping your gums about NOT using the experience of 2 world wars as a valued point for exiting the EU let it rest....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Next folks will be calling for United States of Great Britain with a single currency and armed forces.

Terrifying.

1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

Well said exactly my sentiments sovereignty is all important.

3 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

They were both poor but Hoey was worse and I saw the whole programme. Hoey then dug an even deeper hole by basically saying that who cares if the economy has problems as long as Outers can wave the democracy banner. For her and for some Outers they don't care if the economy suffers as long as they get their Out vote. That might be a principled stand and I'm not going to berate her on that issue but its funny how those pushing the Out campaign won't be effected if things go pearshaped but their legion of fans might. Anyway we await the indepth study from Vote Leave on the economic utopia that's out there if the UK leaves the EU. Hopefully they'll come up with something that doesn't come from some dodgy professor from the University of Las Vegas!

28 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Actually its my uncle if you read the post and no I don't assume anything.We've had many a discussion when aunt and uncle have returned for visits.  He was a small businessman for many years, worked exceptionally hard at his engineering business, made alot of money and retired to Lanzarote.  He believes, having voted to join the common market years ago, that the EU is a complete and utter mess and the UK's best interest is to leave the EU and return to developing trade agreements with Europe.  However, living in Lanzarote, like so many others on here who live abroad, and might I say are looking out for THEIR best interests,  if we leave the EU his standard of living would not be so easy so he would have to return home.  Therefore living abroad in a EU country if he could vote of course he'd vote to stay in but that would obviously be a personal vote to protect his way of life - as I say thank god he can't vote!

So you would agree with your uncle having a hard time after we exit then?

He will of course not be able to buy a place, unless of course he has the money already in the bank, I wouldn't know. But there will be people who's standard of living changes drastically enough to be left in limbo. Selling where they live now will only go so far.

Edited by alexisj9

10 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Terrifying.

The best possible result for me would be a brexit and rerun for Scotlands independence.  Scotlands departure would be a bonus and not a problem.

It would be such a relief to bring to an end the Caledonian whingeing.  Brexit accompanied by Scottish separation would at last mean freedom from the millstones that are Brussels and Edinburgh.

• Like 3

Tonight you in  r out on itv now.. lets hope for unbiased 

4 minutes ago, kent said:

The best possible result for me would be a brexit and rerun for Scotlands independence.  Scotlands departure would be a bonus and not a problem.

It would be such a relief to bring to an end the Caledonian whingeing.  Brexit accompanied by Scottish separation would at last mean freedom from the millstones that are Brussels and Edinburgh.

It seems it's Kent from Dorset that's doing the whingeing.

I'm just pointing out that the UK is a very close union of countries where sovereignty is shared to a far greater degree than in the EU, yet the Brexit campaign is on about unions and shared sovereignty being a bad thing.

This started off with me pointing out the Obama thinks unions are good things, so is not a hypocrite as he's the president of a federal union.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, kent said:

I would agree with that result also.....fabulous

Edited by Snowycat
Missing word
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kent said:

is this humour? sorry it just sounds like un-remitting xenophobia to me. If it's not then you're really going to have to explain yourself here. On one hand being antiEU (and perhaps anti immigration) is one thing, but being anti-British islander too  what exactly do you want? Maybe you just want complete isolation?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

is this humour? sorry it just sounds like un-remitting xenophobia to me. If it's not then you're really going to have to explain yourself here. On one hand being antiEU (and perhaps anti immigration) is one thing, but being anti-British islander too  what exactly do you want? Maybe you just want complete isolation?

Yes, while I may support Scottish independence, I'd be more than happy for Scotland to remain in union (EU) with the other UK home nations; would be my general preference although I do see the matter as up to those living there.

I just see the EU union as making the UK union no longer needed; a relic of imperial times which the world has moved on from.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

The elderly yes but do not use the world war to do it. These are different times. He has his opinion, you have your's, I have mine. Vote leave's thing was based on none of them, they are just using past events to make people think the way they want people to think. Britain and America were the only countries mentioned as fighting for democracy. I think you will find a lot more were on our side. Like Canadians for starters if you want to use D Day it's self.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kent said:

You don't think much of the UK? Not content with wanting the EU to implode you're also welcoming the end of the UK. Strange I thought the Out vote was the " patriotic choice"!

I  do expect Scotland to become independent at some point in the future but I was hoping for the less chaotic route with both countries still in the EU as that happened.

10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

So you would agree with your uncle having a hard time after we exit then?

He will of course not be able to buy a place, unless of course he has the money already in the bank, I wouldn't know. But there will be people who's standard of living changes drastically enough to be left in limbo. Selling where they live now will only go so far.

Not really.  He would have to return to the UK because a EU exit would mean he couldn't access nhs care across there and, as an ex-nhs commissioner,  believe me that wouldn't not a bad thing either - they get better care on the NHS across there than we do in the UK, they waste so much.  He'd have no problems with property so he'd be fine.

Edited by Snowycat
added
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Crikey! Again..

For the millionth time, and its really grating now, Brexit DOES NOT MEAN anti immigration, it means CONTROLLED IMMIGRATION!

• Like 3