Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

The Fermi Paradox

I'm currently reading a book by Nick Lane, The Vital Question: why is life the way it is, which pertains to this. I'll report back providing I can get my head around it which is a big if.

Quite, and now I'm knee deep in Eukaryotes. I'm far too old for this.

Quite, and now I'm knee deep in Eukaryotes.

lol, get some wellies !!. Or make some bread ,BAP ,sorry :)..

There was a recent study (I may have posted it, can't remember!) that looked at the role of gamma ray bursts in the earlier years of our galaxy and how they may partially explain the Fermi paradox.

Here's the abstract: http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.231102

And a review of it: http://www.universetoday.com/117259/gamma-ray-bursts-limit-the-habitability-of-certain-galaxies-says-study/

It seems likely that life is inevitable wherever the conditions are right, but intelligent or even multi-cell complex life is exceedingly rare. I think we're also guilty of anthropomorphism if we believe that a sufficiently intelligent alien species would share the desire to attempt communication beyond its own world (although perhaps you could argue curiosity is a necessary condition in the evolution of intelligence). 

To me it is obvious that any intelligent civilisation with the ability to travel vast distances or manipulate time and space would be far beyond our comprehension and would be able to visit this planet without us being aware they are doing so or have ever done so. Heck the presence of humanity itself on this planet may be proof in itself that alien life has already visited this planet on numerous occasions.

By coincidence a new paper might just shed some more light on the Tree of Life

Complex archaea that bridge the gap between prokaryotes and eukaryotes

The origin of the eukaryotic cell remains one of the most contentious puzzles in modern biology. Recent studies have provided support for the emergence of the eukaryotic host cell from within the archaeal domain of life, but the identity and nature of the putative archaeal ancestor remain a subject of debate. Here we describe the discovery of ‘Lokiarchaeota’, a novel candidate archaeal phylum, which forms a monophyletic group with eukaryotes in phylogenomic analyses, and whose genomes encode an expanded repertoire of eukaryotic signature proteins that are suggestive of sophisticated membrane remodelling capabilities. Our results provide strong support for hypotheses in which the eukaryotic host evolved from a bona fide archaeon, and demonstrate that many components that underpin eukaryote-specific features were already present in that ancestor. This provided the host with a rich genomic ‘starter-kit’ to support the increase in the cellular and genomic complexity that is characteristic of eukaryotes.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14447.html

Article

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/42902/title/Prokaryotic-Microbes-with-Eukaryote-like-Genes-Found/

A type 2 or 3 civilisation on kardashev scale could well have created dna itself ,we may be part of their panspermia legacy ,I have watched Prometheus :)..

But how did they evolve from type zero to create DNA and what was the energy source? :cc_confused:

But how did they evolve from type zero to create DNA and what was the energy source? :cc_confused:

Once singularity is achieved apparently there is a massive explosion of artificial intelligence and self replication of superior technology...according to some humanity is not far from this already and could happen within our lifetimes.

But that doesn't explain how humanity got this far.

Type three civilisation can use the energy from stars or indeed it's own Galaxy , the above post is as good a route as any I can think of them getting there . According to Sagan we're at about 0.75 ,1 being the first step in 100 years or so ,estimated 10,000 years from type 2 and 100,000 to million for type 3 not that I'll be concerned by then ..

We just have no clue whatsoever. Just consider yourself lucky to be sentient and enjoy as best you can your short journey in this life. We may indeed be all there is.