Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm chase tour 1 - the chase virgin tour

Paul

Posted

Well I'll be budgerred, that's got the duck off the road then, plain sailing from here on in... :yahoo:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Sitting around the DFW area today waiting for the last 4 newbies and then it's off for an evening chase, looks like Ma Nature is being kind to us with the Moderate Risk dropping South. Hoping to get on the road by 5pm

Posted

Hi Paul. Dress rehearsal today for the show tomorrow?
I'm thinking any cells that stay fairly discrete in the rich regime that exists just south of the loosely defined OFB draped just north of the Red River now will be the most likely to produce rotation, and have therefore located myself to Vernon now.
It's cloudy with the odd drop of rain but the almost total cloud cover is not especially low. On visible there's a notch of cleaner air pushing under the current cluster near AMA and this is the area I'm hoping will generate cells from 20Z.
You're chances of getting onto something once you pick-up all your guests are quite realistic IMO, maybe up towards Bowie on the 287.

Good luck and needless to say safe chasing as it could end up being a dodge-ball chase as it gets dark and the LLJ increases vorticity.

PS: It is proving very difficult to analyse, map-read and drive all at the same time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Something from a storm chaser over on the US Forum, local to the area. 

'I'm becoming very concerned about the Red River Valley.  The convection thus far has well to the N and W and SPS.  You have these bands of convection that try to get going oriented NW-SE that haven't fully initiated as of yet.  The environment continues to destabilize in this region.  The FWD 1800 UTC sounding has a large area of CAPE prior to its termination just above 500 mb.  SPC mesoanalysis only indicates about 100-200 m^2/s^2 of eff. SRH, but forecasts that to increase as the afternoon progresses, to around 200-300 m^2/s^2.  T/Td spreads at the sfc are very manageable, ranging from 7-11°F, and the FWD sounding shows quality moisture through the depth of the boundary layer.  I would anticipate development in the next few hours to the southeast of the current convection, and I think the environment will likely be extremely favorable for tornadoes by that time.  In short, I fear we may be facing a localized tornado outbreak along the Red River Valley this afternoon and evening'

Only an hour or so ago, Red River Valley splits S Oklahoma from N Texas, around the DFW area I believe. 

Could be a good introduction for the newbies.

• Like 1

Posted

In Ekektra,TX under what remains of a forecourt. Just done a very careful trip from Vernon and there is clear damage all over - lorries overturned, trees down, but difficult to say if it was tornadic or not although the cell I've been tailing had a long-lived circulation and confirmed tornado. Massive amount of water everywhere.

If you guys are planning to go into dusk, usual care required as this lot is a messy mix of multiple hail cores and sporadic rotation.

Perhaps I could join you for tomorrow - a day that is less likely to be suitable for a lone ranger than today was.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Good luck lads tonight already seen amazing structure coming in from friends over there already . catch yea all tomorrow for the main events be safe folks and have fun with the newbies 😀

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Tornado reports N of Throckmorton,Drummond is there trying to spot it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

In Ekektra,TX under what remains of a forecourt. Just done a very careful trip from Vernon and there is clear damage all over - lorries overturned, trees down, but difficult to say if it was tornadic or not although the cell I've been tailing had a long-lived circulation and confirmed tornado. Massive amount of water everywhere.

If you guys are planning to go into dusk, usual care required as this lot is a messy mix of multiple hail cores and sporadic rotation.

Perhaps I could join you for tomorrow - a day that is less likely to be suitable for a lone ranger than today was.

I think it would be rude not to meet up! We all think you're a robot that no one had met yet!!!

Posted

I've just posted on my blog that today (May 9h) I will be looking to moderate distance with potential and head up to Laverne, OK and monitor with a chili burrito. The 11Z RAP adjusts the surface low a tad back W at 20Z and consequently hodos appear a bit more favourable in far W OK than they were earlier. It all depends on this morning's activity moving away which it might be reluctant to do given it's trajectory.

I'll keep track of your location and if I appear on your tail I'll give you a wave.
Good luck today - the greatest danger might be the numbers on the roads.

Well guys im one of the chase virgins on tour one so far been awsome.had a nice treat on Thursday night with a cracking show from mother nature.Here in wichita we were woken by winds of around 50mph and some nice bolts lets see what mother nature has in store for us today great group of people on the tour aswel stay safe and please tune into the live stream

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

While I wait for the first PB&Jelly bagel of the season settle, I had a quick play with the pics from our test day.  A cold storm played tag with us for an hour or two before things got really going

post-1056-0-11083000-1431181457_thumb.jp

post-1056-0-28288900-1431181485_thumb.jp

I have some video of the hail hitting while we sheltered at a gas station, but need new codecs to convert to the right format, new cameras might be cool, but they can be a pita sometimes too...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Ain't that what TEST days are for Ian? ;)

Yeah Yeah, mock if you like.  But I have Shiner Bock in my bag, storms in my pocket and Tom is sharing a room with the gust front

• Like 2

Posted

I think it would be rude not to meet up! We all think you're a robot that no one had met yet!!!

Well I do have a pain in all the diodes down my left side. A prize of a free beer for anyone making the link on that one LOL.

I'm just S of Arnett, OK on the west edge of the anvil-crud-vection. Considering a shuffle east from here to see how the cell in SW OK develops - had a few rotation markers on it in last half hour.