Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Eugenics-the Next Generation? Pt 2

The first part has been archived.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73768-eugenics-the-next-generation/

So the big question, or at least one of them. Do we go ahead and genetically modify humans in the quest to eradicate dreadful diseases?

Abolishing beta thalassaemia is a noble goal. This inherited blood disease, which can cause severe anaemia and consequent organ damage, sometimes fatal, is a scourge to those who suffer it. And abolished it could be, if the broken gene that causes it (which is called HBB and encodes part of the haemoglobin molecule) were itself to be abolished.

That is not an abstract thought. A newish DNA-editing technique called CRISPR/Cas9 is able, at least in principle, to make precise changes in particular genes. Several groups of researchers are trying to work out a way to use it to clear up beta thalassaemia in individual sufferers, by genetically modifying the stem cells which generate red blood corpuscles. But it is theoretically possible to go further. By modifying HBB in a fertilised egg (known technically as a zygote), and letting that zygote develop into a human being, you would abolish the disease not only in the resulting individual but also in his or her “germ lineâ€â€”the line of descent. By doing this, though, you would create one of the bugaboos of bioethics: a genetically modified human.

First human embryos genetically modified – more will come

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27402-first-human-embryos-genetically-modified--more-will-come.html#.VUY5e_BH7PQ

The problem is if we do that, what are the chances we'll end up dying from lack of resources. Whilst diseases are terrible and wouldn't wish them on anybody, I can't help but thinking it's natures natural population control.

I'm not sure what the solution is for eradication of diseases and population control. Whatever it is, I would be right behind that.

But surely natures natural population control has already been compromised by advances in medical science so why not a step further. The recent breakthrough with a, hopefully, successful vaccine will stop millions dying.

Yes.

Recent progress in genome mapping and genetic manipulation has made great strides towards allowing us to enter the age of liberal eugenics. I for one fully support the creation of superior genetic stock. 

But surely natures natural population control has already been compromised by advances in medical science so why not a step further. The recent breakthrough with a, hopefully, successful vaccine will stop millions dying.

I guess you have to ask yourself what happens when inherited stuff that kills people is eradicated combined with people living into their early to mid hundreds as the next generation born is expected to do.

Lack of food will be nature's way of population control.

Lack of food will be nature's way of population control.

I doubt it. Lack of food isn't the problem but uneven distribution. Anyway this has nowt to to with genetics unless we are going to dive off in to GM crops.

If there is a way to eradicate a defective gene that causes disease then I support it.

Some highly targeted cancer treatments are now focusing on protein products produced by mutated genes known to be responsible for the particular cancer type. Hopefully, it will be a short step from there to adressing the mutation itself.

I guess you have to ask yourself what happens when inherited stuff that kills people is eradicated combined with people living into their early to mid hundreds as the next generation born is expected to do.

Maybe in the west, although we hear that today's generation are likely to die earlier than their parents due to poor diet and lack of exercise.