Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Has Elon Musk solved the climate crisis?

Posted

I just watched this video of Elon Musk revealing Tesla’s new “Powerwallâ€, a battery pack for the home. The Powerwall can store energy from solar panels when the sun’s shining and then deliver this stored energy to the home when it’s dark. I have to say it sounds wonderful and Elon Musk had me convinced right from the start. It almost sounds too good to be true. I hope it’s not.

http://rachelsquirrel.com/2015/05/01/has-elon-musk-solved-the-climate-crisis/

Tesla Energy is Elon Musk's battery system that can power homes, businesses, and the world

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/1/8525309/tesla-energy-elon-musk-battery-announcement

Some unwelcome good news

http://johnquiggin.com/2015/05/03/some-unwelcome-good-news/

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Elon is a king among men. Brilliant, innovative, not restrained in his ambition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's just a shame that Elon Musk sounds like an expensive designer perfume! :D

Posted

Cracking the current severe limitations in battery performance has to be a major step forward in reducing the need for power generation by other means.

Presuambly these new batteries work with other forms of green energy generation such as wind power?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Cracking the current severe limitations in battery performance has to be a major step forward in reducing the need for power generation by other means.

Presuambly these new batteries work with other forms of green energy generation such as wind power?

Picog...

After reading Knockers 'unwelcome good news' post above it seems as though this is not a new technology. 

Tesla is a car producer. He is using existing technologies (Panasonic, I believe)  and scale to bring about a new car charging mechanism.

However, he has realised that by a  loss leader on the capital cost he can get into power storage systems and by using this technology and bundling up the costs he can enter the power market systems at a relatively affordable price. 

I see that the idea is being welcolmed in places like Australia and the central USA (where sunshine is plentiful) as a backup for solar panels and hence become quite green friendly.

Apparently it becomes cost effective when the batteries can be charged at off peak rates and 'released'  when it is more expensive,  as say it would have to be in the UK, China, etc.. (not sure about India, as the monsoon would have a need for more backup!)  

So not necessarily a technology breakthrough (it depends upon currently known Lithium technology), but it is a very neat way of giving us some ameloriaton of the CO2 ever increasing perceived problem of current power production, that can be  achieved and utilised by the home user..

Personally, I have every confidence that this type of approach and that a technology breakthrough will happen in the not too distant future, and  will mean that we do not need to destroy our current economic and social structure and base, to achieve the perceived goal of saving our planet.

This why I back the Judith Curry approach of climate change. She is saying basically that the 'pause' has given us another 20 years before we have to take major action. I believe that technology will make the difference. During that time I would like to see governments throughout the world putting in vast amounts of money (currently much more goes  into climate change)  into research into these new ideas. 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Judith Curry? Ah.........I remember. Isn't she the scientist who, for reasons unknown, entered the darkness and started mixing with those of obscure birth?

ah-nero-fiddle.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

This why I back the Judith Curry approach of climate change. She is saying basically that the 'pause' has given us another 20 years before we have to take major action. I believe that technology will make the difference. During that time I would like to see governments throughout the world putting in vast amounts of money (currently much more goes  into climate change)  into research into these new ideas. 

MIA

Ha, Ha, Ha, !!!! Really? Just watch the global temps as the naturals now act to push , and not draw down, temps over the coming years (and don't forget how close we are to tipping points currently in the Arctic/tundra regions)

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

In the Mice Age will we all eat Curry ?