Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 3rd May Onwards 00z--->

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Lots of disparity after the weekend with outcomes ranging from a COL to a pressure build to a low.

Euro goes for a westerly pressure build..

Recm2401.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Good agreement with the anomalies last night at keeping the HP to the East and the weak upper trough to the west apart from the GEFS which moves everything slightly west.

Charts weatherbell

post-12275-0-47009800-1433050465_thumb.g

post-12275-0-28567000-1433050472_thumb.g

post-12275-0-14817500-1433050483_thumb.p

post-12275-0-63150900-1433050495_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

The only thing banked is that it will get warmer. It will. also, there will be a build in euro heights. There will. Also that we will find ourselves in the action zone between the heights to our ese and any Atlantic troughing which could be courtesy of an Iberian trough (in which case it will be v humid and hot). the models are simply paying out alternative solution as the time ticks down and they get a lead on disturbances which were not able to be picked up by the higher res of the ens. that always happens. the ops may well prove to be wrong at a 6/7 days anyway. I'm just going to be happy to be out without a jacket on (if it's dry of course)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 5 charts

ECM

ECM1-120.GIF?31-12

UKMO

UW120-21.GIF?31-06

GFS

gfs-0-120.png?0

GEM

gem-0-120.png?00

Not exactly oozing confidence even in the near reliable time frame.

Some of the runs still deliver 30C potentially, on the other hand some runs would probably keep the maximum temperature of 25C set in April for the next week or so. Who knows but it seems that the models failed to pick up the strong jet coming off the eastern seaboard resulting in the flatter pattern now predicted.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

The only thing banked is that it will get warmer. It will. also, there will be a build in euro heights. There will. Also that we will find ourselves in the action zone between the heights to our ese and any Atlantic troughing which could be courtesy of an Iberian trough (in which case it will be v humid and hot). the models are simply paying out alternative solution as the time ticks down and they get a lead on disturbances which were not able to be picked up by the higher res of the ens. that always happens. the ops may well prove to be wrong at a 6/7 days anyway. I'm just going to be happy to be out without a jacket on (if it's dry of course)

Agree with this BA, but in all honesty that would probably be a given going into June considering just how cold it's been and still is.....it's hardly anything worthy of major celebration imo. Given the kind of charts we've seen across the last 48-72hrs the overnight runs are disappointing at best and downright awful IF compared with the recent stellar offerings. As CS has just said the Jet does look likely to me much stronger than expected, so imo all bets are off once again (despite my optimism yesterday), with warmer but still inherently unsettled just not floating my particular boat. 

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

ha...

didnt we have a similar scenario last year or earlier?... im sure a promised, supported, consistently expected hot spell was downgraded to a 12 hour wonder.

thats the problem with rapid pressure build...they dont last or appear not to last as the mobile atmosphere that allows them to build is also responsible for their lack of longevity.

no real point in viewing the ops from next sunday onwards, they are an inconsistent mess! but the anoms knocker posted will give the best indication as to what lies in store.... and they look warm but unsettled, with high to our east, upper low to our southwest. 

so the 'best start to june since 1975' (my quote) looks like being another dud. pity, id prefer early heat. never mind...its only weather.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Agree with this BA, but in all honesty that would probably be a given going into June considering just how cold it's been and still is.....it's hardly anything worthy of major celebration imo. Given the kind of charts we've seen across the last 48-72hrs the overnight runs are disappointing at best and downright awful IF compared with the recent stella offerings. As CS has just said the Jet does look likely to me much stronger than expected, so imo all bets are off once again (despite my optimism yesterday), with warmer but still inherently unsettled just not floating my particular boat. 

Who's celebrating? The Models show a steady transient to warmer weather, Nothing 'disappointing at best' or 'downright awful'. Very sweeping statements there, Let's not get carried away in the moment reg 1 run.

• Like 2

PM... I said 'Given the kind of charts we've seen across the last 48-72hrs the overnight runs are disappointing at best and downright awful IF compared with the recent stellar offerings.'

I standby that statement and am certainly not getting carried away in making it....it's all about opinions and that's mine. 

Let's see what the 06 brings, but imo it won't be a million miles from it's 00 counterpart.

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

It is not one run though, the output has been getting worse with each run - the heat which was showing for here has completely vanished.

Even the Metoffice have downgraded my temperatures for next Thursday for example. (Also mentions rain moving in later that day)

The UK is one of the worst places to live if you are a weather enthusiast, always the last stop for any hot or cold weather - Mushy is spot on with his post, it is always the same no matter the season.

I am sure we will still see some pleasant days here and a couple of hot days in the South though but I was really looking forward to seeing the kind of weather/temperatures that charts showed a couple of days ago and that all the other output was suggesting.

• Like 4

Posted

PM... I said 'Given the kind of charts we've seen across the last 48-72hrs the overnight runs are disappointing at best and downright awful IF compared with the recent stellar offerings.'

I standby that statement and am certainly not getting carried away in making it....it's all about opinions and that's mine. 

Let's see what the 06 brings, but imo it won't be a million miles from it's 00 counterpart.

That's fair enough, Just don't presume members are making 'major celebrations'.. As you say let's see what the 6z brings. 

Back to what the Models are showing, Thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

You cannot deny that the models have undergone a big downgrade and it isn't just one run. 2 days ago a high pressure was forecast to be centred over Scotland next Saturday, now it's a low pressure, so unless you are a lover of miserable summer weather that's a downgrade!

Long term things could still come together and the blip next weekend just a longer way if getting to the outcome we want. The MetO is still confident of a good June so that's enough to keep the dream alive.

Meanwhile back in Cumbria (aka North East Iceland) it's another day of wind, rain and temperatures WELL below average.

Andy

• Like 4

Posted

What this flags to me, is the mediocrity of the ECM as early as day 6.....which is thoroughly disappointing! as well as its ensembles.

GFS picked up the idea that this would not be a spell, and merely a day or two. And its ens really were reluctant to ever back a hot spell... the latest GEFS shows some of us with a neg temp anom into days 0-16..... 

4kw7s9.png

nothing notable on this update. Underwhelming, given the hype shown by some and the ECM.

Edited by draztik
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well after todays hideous conditions it can only get better. Tomorrow will be another poor day but after that its an improving picture. Tuesday isnt looking dry by any means but with warmer air aloft it will mean it wont feel as chilly as it does today. Then from Wednesday till Friday its a case of rising temperatures and a lot of dry weather around. Temperatures still set to max out in the mid to high 20s on Friday.

So even though Friday is the only potentially hot day, im more pleased to see generally higher pressure across the models this morning replacing the grotty west/northwesterlies that have brought many areas such a cool and disapponting May.

• Like 1

Posted

What this flags to me, is the mediocrity of the ECM as early as day 6.....which is thoroughly disappointing! as well as its ensembles.

GFS picked up the idea that this would not be a spell, and merely a day or two. And its ens really were reluctant to ever back a hot spell... the latest GEFS shows some of us with a neg temp anom into days 0-16..... 

4kw7s9.png

nothing notable on this update. Underwhelming, given the hype shown by some and the ECM.

Regarding the ECM - I've been following the EPSgrams for Reading and they have been consistently at the top of the envelope.

j4WMKYI.png

We should have been able to be more confident as the control and deterministic were on the same page mostly but with that level of spread, there was always room for big changes.

• Like 2

Posted

I don't think we should get too depressed about the output this am, the models have been really struggling with the position of the High for some time. I hope Tamara will keep us updated on the road to Summer.

Posted

Regarding the ECM - I've been following the EPSgrams for Reading and they have been consistently at the top of the envelope.

We should have been able to be more confident as the control and deterministic were on the same page mostly but with that level of spread, there was always room for big changes.

Of course, and this was what had installed confidence; op & control on same page etc

And as you say 'big changes' are now being indicated

here is yesterdays 12z temp anom & its 0z counterpart / ecm det.

2e0pw6u.png20960zp.png

days 6-10 / charts WeatherBell.

That is quite the difference - and its ensemble mean, tho not showing such a contrast, has surprisingly backtracked in the space of 12 hours with a notable trend to shunt everything further east.

GEFS/GFS has not had to alter its charts much.... rather consistent. A poor display from the ECM the last few days, lets not try and sugarcoat it. And speaking of GFS, the 6z is suggesting Fridays expected heat now appears suspect.... the way the models are moving we will be lucky if we get a day.

Edited by draztik
  • Like 5

Well out to 180hrs the GFS maintains it's downward trend, in fact the 180 itself kind of demonstrates what we see so often in the winter, i.e if there is a way for things to go wrong we somehow manage to find it with monotonous regularity. Phantom LP to the SW appears to have been the dream maker in this instance, with LP now looking set to be right back over us again come this time next week.....aaaagggggghhhhhh!!!!!! :wallbash:

Edited by coldcomfort

Posted

The 6z continues to show only a transient settled affair for the back end of the 1st week of June, Before further Lows spin in from the N/W from Saturday. Temps still look respectful for the S/E on Friday, Maybe reaching 27/28c.. Mon/Tue look very unsettled with rain and Gales for some in the North.

h850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well we still hit the low 80s on the 06z GFS

132-582UK.GIF?31-6

#Strawclutch  :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Something doesn't look right with the GFS 06z, although it seems to have further downgraded the heat/settled spell, I think at the same time it is overdoing the trough over Iceland. I may be wrong but it will be interesting to see what the ensembles show.

Good agreement with the anomalies last night at keeping the HP to the East and the weak upper trough to the west apart from the GEFS which moves everything slightly west.

Charts weathe

rbell

Do you have links to those NOAA anomaly charts, I cannot seem to find the link, did have them bookmarked, but have lost them.

Thanks in Advance

For those interested the latest Glasto forecast is now out.

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4888-glastonbury-festival-2015-24-to-28-june-forecast-no-2/

Posted

Monday/Tuesday look very windy indeed as a complicated set of Lows spin across the UK on very strong Jet, With gales touching 70mph in places and heavy rain.

ukgust.pngukgust.pngukgust.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2