Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbolt_

Classical Music

Despite only being 17, I have a very large appreciation for classical music and it's composers. There's just something very beautiful about it. My favourites have to be Antonio Vivaldi or Ludwig van Beethoven.

What are your thoughts on it?

Despite only being 17, I have a very large appreciation for classical music and it's composers. There's just something very beautiful about it. My favourites have to be Antonio Vivaldi or Ludwig van Beethoven.

What are your thoughts on it?

A big fan these days. I've always appreciated it, but started to listen more seriously a few years ago. We get a concert about once a month here, usually BBC Philharmonic, Halle, CBSO & I attend most of them. Have quite varied tastes, but mostly based on the classical & romantic composers. Favourites vary from day to day, but I am particularly fond of Tchaikovsky, Sibelius & Debussy.

I like a lot of Chopin's pieces

A lovely piece by Ravel Jeux D'eau. A fountain glittering in sunshine, it reminds me of

Satie's Gymnopedie Number 1. A sad reflective piece.

The fact that he wrote and performed this when he was more or less completely deaf is absolutely astounding... and even that is an understatement!

As a musician myself, I have always loved classical music and been brought up listening to it. All the way up to grade 8 piano I had to play a lot of classical pieces so have developed a love for classical piano.

Some lesser known music I would recommend is:

Schumann - Fantasiestucke Op. 12

Mendellsohn - Songs Without Words (especially played by Murray Perahia)

Faure - Nocturnes (Pascal Roge)

Chopin - Etudes (Freddy Kempf)

Symphonically, I have always been a big fan of the Russian composers and am avidly following a lot of the more modern Latin American composers.

I've always been a big fan too, particularly the music composed from the Romantic era onwards.  I enjoy listening to a large array of pieces from various composers but my favourite all-round composers are probably Grieg (I grew up on his Piano Concerto and Peer Gynt suites, and they seem to have stuck as favourites), Debussy and Gershwin (his orchestral works rather than his songs). 

I tend to be less of a fan of the music from the Baroque and Classical periods because composers were more constrained by strict "rules" and so I find the music more formulaic, but there are still a fair number of pieces from those eras that I enjoy listening to, e.g. Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Mozart's 40th symphony and Beethoven's 5th.  I often wonder what geniuses like Beethoven and Mozart would have produced if they'd been around in the late 19th century when composers were more free to fully "be themselves". 

My interest in the above formed the basis for my present-day interest in modern film music (e.g. listening to Classic FM as a teenager and hearing music from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, and John Barry's concept album The Beyondness of Things). 

I've got more appreciation for classical music as I've gotten older.

Have you ever heard of The Piano Guys? They combine classical music with modern day songs and it works so well.

Here is my favourite of theirs.

This is my favourite version of Canon In D Major

Has anyone every heard Beethoven's hypothetical tenth symphony?

Stunning concert tonight at The Victoria Hall in Stoke. Last one of the season, Halle orchestra in charge. If you'd like to live the programme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hav8ui3OyJA

Glinka - Ruslan & Ludmilla overture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R56ERxHtvkI

Beethoven - Piano Concerto no: 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgwE0-TWQ60

Tchaikovsky - Symphony no: 5 (possibly the greatest piece of music ever written btw)

I started listening to classical back in (I think) 2002 when I was a passenger in a car driven by a colleague who was listening to "Relaxing Classics at Two with Nick Bailey" on ClassicFM. Since then, the car radio has been hard wired to classical music.

In 2011, I decided that ClassicFM was all a bit jolly-hockeysticks and tried Radio 3. I've not looked back since. The quality of live classical music on there is staggering (even if they do play some occasional Ravel and Schoenberg)........

Anyway. Some favourites.

I fell in love with the Thomas Tallis Fantasia early on thanks to "Relaxing Classics at Two". This is the best version I've heard - Andrew Davies and the BBC Symphony at Gloucester Cathedral :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx5LCF1yJY&list=FLOL5e6L1qzRQjVcvpJxRx_A&index=2

One from R3 is a Lizst piece - The Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_corqaqgY&index=5&list=FLOL5e6L1qzRQjVcvpJxRx_A

I have to post up another piece I heard on R3. It was written about 800 years ago by Hildegard von Bingen, and has been re-recorded this year by a group who's name fails me. This is the nearest clip I can find to what I heard on In Tune. It is spellbinding :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZa95OgwCEU&index=3&list=FLOL5e6L1qzRQjVcvpJxRx_A

Beethoven tends to annoy me after a little while for some reason.

Liszt for me.

Another piece that I like from a different composer is Mozart and his "Requiem" piece for the reason that it's very sinister and deep.

Many many years ago used to occasionally borrow an old bosses motor. Whenever you'd fire her up guaranteed there'd either be a classic music CD still wedged in the stereo or classic FM on. Every single time!  He always had a habit to leave the volume on full lol. 

Traffic jams and some nice soothing music quickly comes to mind and from that moment on yes It grew on me, to the point I'd pick up the odd music style rag, usually ones with a freebie classic CDs stuck on them. 

Been a while since I've listened to some, must try harder.