Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Still getting frosts in the morning ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Had a slight ground frost yesterday morning (Monday) when I woke up at half six with also the odd bit of white icy stuff on top of some of the cars outside. Although I've not counted how many frosts I've had this month, would say there's been around five to ten here, which is pretty good going for this time of year. With the temperature currently around 3.6*C at the moment, and providing the skies remain clear, then it looks as though there could be another frost to add to the collection this morning.

(Edit: no ground frost was evident this morning, although temperature had dropped to around 1 and half degrees).

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

We had a min of -0.3c yesterday but the temp levelled off/rose a bit for much of the night before reaching the minimum at dawn, so it could have been significantly lower, a case of damaging frost averted really.

This morning recorded 0.4c, with bits of cloud/showers causing the wind to pick up briefly, disturbing the temperature fall. 

I recorded -0.8c in May 2010 (12th), -0.7c in May 2012 (16th), -0.2c in May 2013 (1st, (and 0.9c on the 26th)), so slight air frosts in May are not too unusual here. It looks like we won't a get quite as notable minimum as I thought we might have during this spell now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I thought that this had been a frosty month in my home area inland in Tayside so counted the number of frosts from our weather station in Aberfeldy, Perthshire. Though in a Highland valley I was still surprised to count 15 nights with air frost plus another 7 with ground frost, 2 of which were mins of 0.0C exactly and one other 0.7C. I suspect the monthly stats will show a very low average minima for Highland Scotland for April.

Here near the coast I only had one air frost near the end of the month but quite a few ground frosts throughout.

Edit. Continued into May with -3C air temp this morning and -7C grass temp.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just missed out having a min of 0 deg this norning.

Posted

A minimum of 0.0C here this morning too. Just missed out on an air frost, but its still the coldest May minima since 1979. Very notable indeed.

Posted

Generally cloudier in the south last night with a minimum of 5.6 here and 5.1 at the university, which is out of town and usually slightly colder.  I think I can just about stick my neck out and put the bedding plants out now - we've probably reached the turning point where we rarely get any significant frost until at least mid-October.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The temperature dipped just below zero this morning in our garden in Aberfeldy, Highland Perthshire this morning. Late for an air frost I think.

Posted

Still havi g the odd hint of a grass frost here, with temps dropping to 2.xC during odd days in the past week. Very cold even for here.

• Like 1

Posted

Could be a number of ground frosts in the days ahead with frost prone places in the north perhaps seeing an air frost. Cold uppers and dewpoints and low humidity, combined with clear skies and no wind ripe for late season frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Could be a number of ground frosts in the days ahead with frost prone places in the north perhaps seeing an air frost. Cold uppers and dewpoints and low humidity, combined with clear skies and no wind ripe for late season frost.

Yes I'm expecting the frost hollows in North Yorks to be getting a ground frost. Will be resetting my min temp on my weather station this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Thankfully no chance of frost in the city.

• Like 1

Posted

1.5C in the air and -2C on the ground in Aberfeldy this morning despite a slight breeze. A bit more cloud tonight so not so cold. 

Posted

When is it going to warm up soon be time when the days get shorter again.

Still talking about frosts in june is abit much.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

When is it going to warm up soon be time when the days get shorter again.

Still talking about frosts in june is abit much.

VERY interesting though...

As you say not long until the slide back towards longer nights commences

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

VERY interesting though...

As you say not long until the slide back towards longer nights commences

However, July and August have the warmest nights on average, and September is virtually identical to June, so regular cool temperatures won't be a thing until October. Thank you seasonal lag.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Had another frost last night so that's two for June so far. Ground frost only mind you.

Posted

Coldest june night for 10 years at 3.4c and probably a ground frost,bet the hollows were cold :cold:

So this is the 3rd coldest june year I`ve recorded for low mins,1991 being the lowest followed by 2005.

• Like 1