Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
10 minutes ago, snow*please said:

Ok well now I have got the face on, meto have removed my lovely snow symbols from early hours of Sunday morning.

All this up and down and for what! Where is the coldies reward for putting up with a week or so of shockingly confused outputs :( 

Well I would hope you been on a weather forum you would also make use of plethora of data available to you on Net Weather and meteociel.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2016/01/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/16011618_1518.gif

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2016/01/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/16011700_1518.gif

EURO4 is an upgrade though the feature looks and light in nature.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
39 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Well I would hope you been on a weather forum you would also make use of plethora of data available to you on Net Weather and meteociel.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2016/01/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/16011618_1518.gif

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2016/01/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/16011700_1518.gif

EURO4 is an upgrade though the feature looks and light in nature.

I would love nothing more than to gain the knowledge and be able to actually read the models and everything else available to me, I just really don't know where to start and in all honesty I doubt it would go in if I tried. 

Thanks though :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

So a large upgrade with the latest run. Led to an amber warning from between 11am Saturday through Sunday,with 1 to 3cms at low levels. 5-10cms at elevations. Although this isn't reflected in the BBC's graphics which show cloud all day. Same for Met Office. 

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

In fact it's quite amusing to see how much it can change if you flip between the GFS previous run and latest run charts. Massive difference between the runs. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Barking_Mad said:

So a large upgrade with the latest run. Led to an amber warning from between 11am Saturday through Sunday,with 1 to 3cms at low levels. 5-10cms at elevations. Although this isn't reflected in the BBC's graphics which show cloud all day. Same for Met Office. 

Just as I said yesterday to someone

The change on an hourly basis and day by day!

This morings GFS is an upgrade for some

I expect it to change later today and also T24

16011906_1600.gif

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

I really hope the snow comes today, I am probably in the best spot for it in the region given I am on the edge just it keeps switching and changing a LOT e.g. now due to come this afternoon / evening when yesterday it was due Sunday morning.

Also we really need it come as expect Snow pictures on the TV come Monday if it plays out as its looking to as the Midlands and South East are going to be pasted on Monday yet we won't see a darn thing from it if the models are right (maybe South Yorkshire / Lincolnshire). Just checked the GFS and that is showing snow for us, but at this range its not really that reliable.

Temp didn't drop as much as expected here last night, only down to -2.8c, which is what its still at now.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Looks like an extension of the cold spell in Yorkshire this morning based on the Met Office outlook with temperatures not rising above 3c until at least Thursday now.

It wouldn't take much movement from that front coming down from the Northwest to dump a few centimetres of snow in Western areas of our region tonight either...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Looks like an extension of the cold spell in Yorkshire this morning based on the Met Office outlook with temperatures not rising above 3c until at least Thursday now.

It wouldn't take much movement from that front coming down from the Northwest to dump a few centimetres of snow in Western areas of our region tonight either...

Even the week ahead forecast I just watched showed that snow moving southwards tonight but they said "Unsure how it's going to "Develop"

A case tonight of lamppost watching :cold:

Posted
7 minutes ago, cowdog said:

I really hope the snow comes today, I am probably in the best spot for it in the region given I am on the edge just it keeps switching and changing a LOT e.g. now due to come this afternoon / evening when yesterday it was due Sunday morning.

Also we really need it come as expect Snow pictures on the TV come Monday if it plays out as its looking to as the Midlands and South East are going to be pasted on Monday yet we won't see a darn thing from it if the models are right (maybe South Yorkshire / Lincolnshire). Just checked the GFS and that is showing snow for us, but at this range its not really that reliable.

Temp didn't drop as much as expected here last night, only down to -2.8c, which is what its still at now.

Yes despite the cold spell having now established itself I am yet to record an air frost!

Lowest temperature was 0.2c the night before last and the temperature is still holding up at 0.5c as I type.

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Complete capitulation from the GFS0z. Postcode forecast still has me at 0C on Thursday.

Also suggests snow today and Monday. 

Current radar has the precipitation down as far south as Northern Ireland but only as far east as Glasgow so can't be sure of snow yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Just as I said yesterday to someone

The change on an hourly basis and day by day!

This morings GFS is an upgrade for some

I expect it to change later today and also T24

16011906_1600.gif

Comparing GFS, Arpege and Euro4 precipitation forecast to latest Radar image, I would say the models have probably underestimated the Eastward extent of the precip.  Precip is already into Scotland. rather than over Scottish Islands, and heading SSE, so I think we could be in with a chance as long as it stays on the same track.  Meto forecast also just updated showing light snow for Barnsley from 18.00 today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

On checking the radar and its currently east of its predicted position, maybe by as much as 50 miles. Its also got a not insignificant band of snow in front of it which if it makes it this far (its past Glasgow at moment) should be here about midday at a guess, if it survives.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

West Yorkshire for the the win.

a.thumb.png.2b6b94a0ddab281442343731cece

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Just looking at the national BBC graphics on their latest video forecast , it's showing the snow line to be around the Pennines , looks like Sheffield might just miss out , depends how Far East the front gets, I usually back the BBC as they use Meto \ MOGREPS data , funnily enough it's the cold air that we need in that will stall the front pushing East, but we have had some severe snow in these set ups before, window watching from around 18:00 then.

Posted
5 minutes ago, yorkieblade said:

Just looking at the national BBC graphics on their latest video forecast , it's showing the snow line to be around the Pennines , looks like Sheffield might just miss out , depends how Far East the front gets, I usually back the BBC as they use Meto \ MOGREPS data , funnily enough it's the cold air that we need in that will stall the front pushing East, but we have had some severe snow in these set ups before, window watching from around 18:00 then.

I think it will be as far South as Yorkshire by early afternoon.  Lets just hope it goes further East!

• Like 2

Posted

My fellow Barnsley colleagues...have you ever noticed on predicted snowfall charts Barnsley is always on the border, no matter which way ...so today we are borderline east/west even when coming from other directions we are on the borderline.  I know its as we sit next to the Pennines  just so frustrating...why cant we just have a big blob smack on top of us?  Whinge over :D

Edited by tayzi
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Interesting

snow.jpg

snow2.jpg

Lee have you just made those up to prove my theory wrong ?:oops:

• Like 1

Posted

It looks knife edge for us in West Yorkshire. We'll see.