Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
36 minutes ago, joggs said:

At work.Anybody seen latest reports on TV,re snow chances?

Cheers

Local METO forecast for our region suggests this;

Today:

After a very cold and frosty start the morning will be dry and sunny. Cloudier in the afternoon with some sleet and snow for a time. Feeling very cold in the raw northwesterly breeze. Maximum Temperature 4°C.

Tonight:

A cold night with a widespread frost and further wintry showers. These will be rain or sleet near the coast but fall as snow inland. Minimum Temperature -2°C.

Interesting.....:cold:

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Local METO forecast for our region suggests this;

Today:

After a very cold and frosty start the morning will be dry and sunny. Cloudier in the afternoon with some sleet and snow for a time. Feeling very cold in the raw northwesterly breeze. Maximum Temperature 4°C.

Tonight:

A cold night with a widespread frost and further wintry showers. These will be rain or sleet near the coast but fall as snow inland. Minimum Temperature -2°C.

Interesting.....:cold:

Heavy snow now also forecast for my area during the early hours of Sunday morning according to the METO website, and that is even before any potential breakdown next week!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Heavy snow now also forecast for my area during the early hours of Sunday morning according to the METO website, and that is even before any potential breakdown next week!

I have seen this too and got a little giddy. 

Let's hope it happens :) 

Posted

just like Vizzy , i spent a few hours up on the Yorkshire Moors yesterday 

( there was also quite a lot on the Wolds between Malton and Sledmere ) ...road was closed for a while up at North Grimston )

More to come i hope !

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
1 hour ago, Kentish Snowman said:

It might go more westward and miss the east part of the country, think its the NMM having it on that track. All the others have it going smack bang across the middle of the country and very heavy as well.

Even bigger could be Monday. Ignoring GFS its looking like a potential for a very major event e.g. ARPEGE is showing it to be snowing all day. Key is will it be a snow to rain event - likely at low levels, but many of the runs are showing it as staying cold enough throughout and not getting above freezing. Really does look good for us up here, assuming the GFS isn't right.

• Like 2

Posted

Monday is interesting but ECM is having none of it with the front straddling across the Irish Sea resulting in Yorkshire seeing the fragmented remnants. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
Just now, Cheese Rice said:

Monday is interesting but ECM is having none of it with the front straddling across the Irish Sea resulting in Yorkshire seeing the fragmented remnants. 

well with all the chopping and changing that's gone on in the last 4-5 days I wouldn't get too hung up about it

Still all to play for! there will be many changes each run and I expect upgrades by Sunday! Winter is trying to get to us to give us SNOW but its having a little game with us first!

:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

well with all the chopping and changing that's gone on in the last 4-5 days I wouldn't get too hung up about it

Still all to play for! there will be many changes each run and I expect upgrades by Sunday! Winter is trying to get to us to give us SNOW but its having a little game with us first!

:yahoo:

Let's hope there are plenty of upgrades, that's the first time this winter I have seen METO forecast snow for our area and to forecast that much I can't help but get giddy.

I just hope it plays out like that (or better) as this past week has been interesting but tireing with models and all the uncertainty so I think we really do deserve the snow haha

Posted

Nightmare! 

I'm in London on that dayreturning in the evening, I hope the output pushes the front back by 10 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Currently some showers trundling down the east coast of Scotland, wonder if they could clip the eastern half of Yorkshire later too if they get this far?

Although I can see they're modelled to miss the coast...

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

morning all, stunning day here today, bright sunshine, bit of a chill in the air, temp currently 2.9c, was surprised to see the met office forecast for sunday as it says heavy snow, mmmmmmm, with the way this winter has been im still not going to tell the kids as im sure it wont happen.

• Like 1

Posted

The other high resolution models don't show the snow signal highlighted on the EURO4. I usually would side with the EURO4 but I suspect it will drop the signal. For Monday the NMM shows the front decaying and fragmenting by the time it reaches Yorkshire as per the ECM

Posted

Latest ARPEGE shows the Sunday snow missing the region entirely and go very West. Still has snow for Monday though (so far its halfway through Monday)

edit: Change that its going a bit bizarre as while the snow now goes to our west it then stalls and gets pushed over us due to the approaching front, and later merges with the snow front for Monday. Its now saying we could in effect have snow for at least 18 hours (all be it light for the first 6)

Really is one to watch

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home: Oakworth, West Yorkshire, UK (250m ASL) / Work: Bradford, West Yorkshire (110m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Extreme Weather
  • Location: Home: Oakworth, West Yorkshire, UK (250m ASL) / Work: Bradford, West Yorkshire (110m ASL)

Latest update from METO. Looks like areas down the spine of the country such as west of Leeds, Sheffield, etc. could do well from this if it comes off.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 20 Jan 2016 to Friday 29 Jan 2016:

There is much uncertainty about the weather during the first couple of days, but we are currently expecting various fronts to make slow progress eastwards across the UK, bringing rain, sleet and possibly also some significant snow in places. The wettest conditions will be in the west and there is a fair chance that eastern areas will remain cold and dry until the weekend. Then from the weekend onwards the most likely scenario is for milder and unsettled conditions with showers or longer spells of rain to spread across all areas, with the heaviest rain likely to occur in the west and southwest. Although it should be generally mild there could be brief colder spells between the bands of rain.

UK Outlook for Friday 29 Jan 2016 to Friday 12 Feb 2016:

As we move from January into February northern areas are likely to see an unsettled period, with outbreaks of rain, strong winds, and some hill snow mixed with brighter, drier periods. Southern parts in contrast should see drier and more settled conditions, although rain cannot be ruled out. Overall temperatures are expected to be around normal, but possibly slightly below average in the south and east.

Updated at: 0123 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snow-Capped said:

there is a fair chance that eastern areas will remain cold and dry until the weekend.

That would be a feat given the current modelling of the Atlantic!

Also - if they are unsure about the Eastward extent of the Atlantic early next week, how can they be so sure it will win out by next weekend?

If we are still dry here by Wednesday, I would imagine that mild and wet by the weekend would only be an outside possibility unless the Atlantic really ramps up?

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snow-Capped said:

Latest update from METO. Looks like areas down the spine of the country such as west of Leeds, Sheffield, etc. could do well from this if it comes off.

is barnsley included in this do you think ? as in getting significant snow?

Edited by LeeSnowFan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Extreme Weather

I am always of the ilk that the METO have far greater access to information than the general public can see and that is why at times the outlook forecasts go against the charts that we are looking at, that said however they do highlight in the opening few words that there is much uncertainty in the first couple of days.

Edited by Snow-Capped

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Keeping an eye on them Showers in the North west they seem to have banded together i am not expecting them to reach this far but you never know.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Keeping an eye on them Showers in the North west they seem to have banded together i am not expecting them to reach this far but you never know.

Yeah just had to put some of the animals under cover as checked the radar after the clouds started to change. Not snowing here yet, but will be any minute if the radar is real.