Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

BBC and Netweather have just got Moderate to Heavy rain for York. Can't see much of an upgrade to that unless we manage to gain a few 100m in elevation today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

So meto have me down for a few hours of heavy snow from the early hours in the morning. Hmmm we will see.

I'm going to expect nothing at all, then there is no disappointment this time. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, snow*please said:

So meto have me down for a few hours of heavy snow from the early hours in the morning. Hmmm we will see.

I'm going to expect nothing at all, then there is no disappointment this time. 

Same here from 3am-11am heavy snow lol we shall see!

I am not getting my hopes up after yesterday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Well it could be a real ice rink tomorrow morning. Rain early hours, followed by falling temperatures and heavy snow early on, then more rain - but not until rush hour has started. Bearing in mind we had heavy snow Tuesday morning in Leeds city centre at 10am when the temperature plummeted as the 'rain' came in - I'd say that sleet/rain mix from 8am - 10pm could well be snow.

Forecasting snow is a headaches and they often get it wrong.

Forecaster Dean Hall said: “On the leading edge of that there could be some sleet and snow in the north of England, north Wales, the north of the Midlands and southern Scotland.

“The snow will likely be confined to the Pennines and Welsh mountains, but we could see ice patches elsewhere on untreated roads.” 

Which is clearly at odds with the forecast on MetOffice and BBC for Leeds.

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Well it could be a real ice rink tomorrow morning. Rain, followed by falling temperatures followed by heavy snow early on, then more rain, but not until rush hour has started. Bearing in mind we had heavy snow Tuesday morning in Leeds city centre when the temperature plummeted as the 'rain' came in - I'd say that sleet/rain mix from 8am - 10pm could well be snow.

I hope so! WET SNOW is not that nice to look at lol when it's not laying on anything its just a WASTE of snow! :wallbash:

Normally we do pretty well for snow in barnsley! just hope it does happen!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just been looking at the GFS run and using John Holmes guide. Well the GFS does has some data issues you can't have a wet bulb temperature of 5c and air temp of 1c for example. Besides that. Looking at the present data certainly a rain to Snow event. This will depend on the rainfall being as heavy as predicted if it isn't just wet cold rain and that will be deciding the factor. So if the rain turns up as shown I would be looking at Rain turning to Snow during the early hours of Friday morning  heavy at first then turning lighter and back to wet snow or rain as the day progress's away from the high ground.

Posted

Its not going to snow...its going to all be rain........   there try that as when I say we are going to get snow it always rains...lets see if it works the other way round :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

EURO4 looks fantastic for high ground inland. Low ground should see some accumulation maybe 2-3cm by morning, I think by afternoom it'll turn a little sleety and possibly to rain. We could see alot of snow falling for a time for lower levels but I think the snow will be quite wet in nature hampering accumulations. 

All to play for and quite exciting. 

Posted
53 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Dosen't seem as good

16030400_0306.gif

16030403_0306.gif

16030406_0306.gif

16030409_0306.gif

Just pennines really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looks like Huddersfield and Halifax are in prime position for tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully see abit more than a few cms tomorrow after yesterday's falls. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Well I'm below 100m, so according to the graphic below  there should be no snow. Yet Met Office's own forecast for where I live (0.5 miles away) shows heavy snow between 3am and 7am.

Also note the typo! (300cm)??!

CcoHWDwW4AANOGa.jpg

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Dosen't seem as good

16030400_0306.gif

16030403_0306.gif

16030406_0306.gif

16030409_0306.gif

EURO4 pushed the front further north hence why the whole of Leeds and Bradford would see accumulations from that down to low levels. As a result south Yorkshire misses out, really just a case of radar watching

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Metoffice's web site is showing it as snowing at the nearest village to us (which is 100m's lower altitude) almost none stop (sleet for 1 hour Friday) from 11pm tonight through to 6am Saturday, with it being Heavy until Friday afternoon. Really does look like we could be in the prime position as is often the case in these scenarios.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Okay not looking so good for Sheffield tonight very close to missing out altogether once again. Just need a shift southwards and then it would just depend on how heavy the rain is. This will be deciding factor overall though so if it's lighter than shown expect rain away from the highest peaks.

Posted

At the moment by the way the system doesn't look strong enough btw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Don't know about anyone else but I'm quiet looking forward to tonight and tomorrow we got a few cms yesterday and looking at tonight and tomorrow I would expect abit more than that looking at latest forecast happy days 

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Okay not looking so good for Sheffield tonight very close to missing out altogether once again. Just need a shift southwards and then it would just depend on how heavy the rain is. This will be deciding factor overall though so if it's lighter than shown expect rain away from the highest peaks.

The front pivots so Sheffield does see snow eventually if the system is further north, looking at the current radar the precipitation is definitely  further north than what the NMM shows so far the EURO4 has the best handle of the front so far. 

Posted

It's all just a little too marginal for those away from 200m+ - I can see an all rain event at lower elevations irrespective of location.

Frustating that this PPN will stall and stick around for most of the day tomorrow.

Pennines will get pasted.

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeeTofficial said:

Hoping it moves abit further east so we will hopefully all see some snow 

It doesn't need to move further east not sure why you want it to. 

The NMM is quite bullish on widespread snow at least for a time EURO4 less so.

• Like 1

Posted

Hmmmmm the temperature is dropping away surprisingly.

The BBC forecast 5.c up till 8pm. Its now 3.c and dropping, in the last 80 minutes the temp has dropped by 2.c

DP 1.c 

Kinda getting excited