Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Well it wasn't worth even snowing! WET snow! who wants that! MEH!

What are people's thoughts on tomorrow night into friday!

Surely 1 last epic snow even is not to much to ask for is it!

Said it earlier I think tomorrow night could possibly deliver the goods for our region. Looks like heavy snow into Friday morning aswell. But as ever the devil will be in the detail. The few cms we had earlier is starting to melt on pavement now let see what we get tomorrow night but I have high hopes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Tomorrow night and Friday all depends again on precipitation we missed out because of bad luck today. Looking not bad but then today looked good and it was a brief event for the lucky few.

• Like 1

Posted

top of garrowby hill near york   11am

006.JPG

Edited by QUARK
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

The centre of the low passed over Huddersfield and dumped to the North

Sighs...........At least it snowed where I was working near Wetherby/Harrogate. Just shows what luck you need with the positioning of the depression aptly named

Posted

Bbc forecast looking good for tomorrow night/fri morning looks a lot more organised band of snow than this morning. Should see a decent fall of snow from that.

Posted

Late to post this but we had about an hour of snow in Strensall from 0930-1030. Laid nicely maybe a bit over 1cm but total cover on roads, pavements. Instantly made people drive at 20mph. Had to go to Malton where there was none at all. A slight covering on Whitwell hill with mist at the top. What a strange reversal!

It's all gone now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, yaffle said:

Late to post this but we had about an hour of snow in Strensall from 0930-1030. Laid nicely maybe a bit over 1cm but total cover on roads, pavements. Instantly made people drive at 20mph. Had to go to Malton where there was none at all. A slight covering on Whitwell hill with mist at the top. What a strange reversal!

It's all gone now though.

Amazing contrasts across the region, as you would of seen no snow near me or on the Moors but the Vale of York had a decent smattering, especially SW York. Today has been the best snow day of the season for me, drove over 100 miles, stuck numerous times (not me other people in the way), seen some v heavy snow and some fantastic snow driving conditions. Will post some pics later 

• Like 2

Posted

Some sleet showers to the west of us another band to the north with may reach us overnight or spin away down the eastern side of England.

Posted

Radar looking fairly organised now, as PIT said... I imagine NW/N/Central Yorks is likely to see a further dusting tonight- snow away from immediate coasts, elevated locations as ever favoured.

I may nip up Oliver's Mount during any showers tonight (3 minute drive), but at approx 150m I'm not convinced this close to the coast.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted

Potentially something special Thursday into Friday. GFS looks fantastic, word of warning we'll be at the hands of the dreaded north Sea wind north of the centre of the low  I could see it raining in York while snowing up to the coast in Lincolnshire. Depends where the low centres itself, ideally for Leeds a touch further north to make sure we don't get the wind.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 3

Posted
34 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Potentially something special Thursday into Friday. GFS looks fantastic, word of warning we'll be at the hands of the dreaded north Sea wind north of the centre of the low  I could see it raining in York while snowing up to the coast in Lincolnshire. Depends where the low centres itself, ideally for Leeds a touch further north to make sure we don't get the wind.

mmmm believe when ti's actually falling. Today looked good for here yesterday evening and was a big flop so not getting excited until the actual day in question.

The 2nd band of weather struggling to get over the moors so unlikely again to produce anything of note here once again.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

mmmm believe when ti's actually falling. Today looked good for here yesterday evening and was a big flop so not getting excited until the actual day in question.

The 2nd band of weather struggling to get over the moors so unlikely again to produce anything of note here once again.

Tuesdays 18z Euro 4 looked a little hit and miss for Sheffield with it been stuck either side of the heavier precipitation, and I think that's what happened earlier today. But as ever with showery fragmented precipitation some places will miss out. 

Leeds did quite well from what I saw on social media. 

16030209_2_0118.gif

Posted

Quick roundup of the 12z models 

HIRLAM 

hirlamuk-42-37-0.png?02-17

NMM 5km 

nmmuk-42-38-0.png?02-18

ARPEGUK 

arpegeuk-42-41-0.png?02-18

EURO4 

16030406_2_0212.gif

• Like 1

Posted

EURO4 seems to be the least bullish for snowfall potential  

• Like 1

Posted

And the ECM as well..

ecm.thumb.png.aaf8fdde5b5401e09292a89de6

• Like 1

Posted

Cold rain here in Scarbs as expected. Tempted by Olivers Mount still but expect a sleety mess up there.

Posted

A wet morning with sleet and or snow for the most part, but by midday it was dry and sunny.

Max Temp 6.3C

Wind Chill Temp 5.2C

Min temp 0.3C

Wind Gust 18.4mph West Sou' Weaterly

Wind Average 8.1mph Sou' Sou' Easterly

Rainfall/Snow 12.2mm

Barometer 992mb Rising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

I won't even get excited about it snowing here in brid then :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS is once again stonking here but does suggest two issues.

1) Height

- My postcode average is a little north of 100m and forecast heavy snow (13cm in a 3 hour block won't be reality but it suggests a stonking preciptation rate) while LS1 is nearer sea level and forecast an all rain event.

2) Moisture/sea

- Although the event looks potentially brilliant for 9-12 hours once the flow turns to the north east it suggests rain which i can only assume is an indicator of the sea dragging in moisture. 

Personally i'm not totally sold by the turn to the NE causing a snow to rain event simply because this far west (Huddersfield) we almost never struggle in that regard and the sea should be around its coldest. Now if there's an upper air issue then that's a concern potentially but i've not seen the detailed charts. 

Height wise it could be correct and that's always a danger. 

If your in West and South Yorkshire i'd get the snow shovel and deicer ready above 100m, if your in North and East Yorkshire enjoy it while it lasts but it will be slush by rush hour in the morning.

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

GFS is once again stonking here but does suggest two issues.

1) Height

- My postcode average is a little north of 100m and forecast heavy snow (13cm in a 3 hour block won't be reality but it suggests a stonking preciptation rate) while LS1 is nearer sea level and forecast an all rain event.

2) Moisture/sea

- Although the event looks potentially brilliant for 9-12 hours once the flow turns to the north east it suggests rain which i can only assume is an indicator of the sea dragging in moisture. 

Personally i'm not totally sold by the turn to the NE causing a snow to rain event simply because this far west (Huddersfield) we almost never struggle in that regard and the sea should be around its coldest. Now if there's an upper air issue then that's a concern potentially but i've not seen the detailed charts. 

Height wise it could be correct and that's always a danger. 

If your in West and South Yorkshire i'd get the snow shovel and deicer ready above 100m, if your in North and East Yorkshire enjoy it while it lasts but it will be slush by rush hour in the morning.

I'm edging on it starting of as rain at all levels. I reckon a covering of wet snow for low ground alternating between sleet and wet snow between around 100m.

Fun and games hopefully at 210m asl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well shocking day for Sheffield lol, had nothing here at all. Its defo not my year. Leeds, York and places further north did well though today so nice to see the snow pics and glad some people got some :)

Bad miss for the BBC graphics though, last evening they showed snow for me from 7am-12pm and we got nothing. Cant win em all i guess!

I was excited for this morning but as it was a let down im being realistic about tomorrow night and into Friday. It could be epic, or it could be another flop.

As ever, we await and see....

Posted

EURO4 is indicative of snowfall primarily between Sheffield/Leeds/Harrogate, around 150m+ could see some significant accumulations

16030406_2_0218.gif

Its all rather localized.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

So here's a few from yesterday, started off in the Yorkshire Dales at Greenhow (415m asl) then drove back to the Yorkshire Wolds but took well over an hour due a jack knifed lorry near Blubberhouses on the A59. Garrowby Hill was also closed for a while but eventually managed to get up. Winter tires meant absolutely no problems at all once again :)

image.thumb.jpg.8f8cd65e72592be24c8e4533image.thumb.jpg.f1cd5ad56d7d715a5156c6dcimage.thumb.jpg.48e8cc84b9b02c46d850607fimage.thumb.jpg.e6a3c74197233f231b9c7af5image.thumb.jpg.b35dab853d16d48adb9be8f7image.thumb.jpg.dafd6e1c3bd854b86231819cimage.thumb.jpg.31cf1b37eeee3374b74fe11cimage.thumb.jpg.1e5f51c3ea2ff533bd0ed07fimage.thumb.jpg.482ba1160b003c369b01e7e6image.thumb.jpg.7804a8679fc4ed7eaf382b23

After today's snowfall I've now seen a decent snow event every month since November across North Yorkshire, not bad for an El Niño winter :p

• Like 5

Posted

Well the snow event for tonight into tomorrow looks great for my area heavy snow from 9pm tonight till 3pm tomorrow could be fun getting about tomorrow. 

• Like 1