Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

A frosty start and a mostly cloudy day with some sun at times.

Max temp 5.1C

Min temp -0.8C  The first negative temperature this year!

Wind Gust 10.4mph West Nor' Westerly

Wind Average 5mph West Nor' Westerly

Barometer 1021mb Rising

Posted
14 minutes ago, cowdog said:

It is missing the region the bulk is heading for the Cheshire gap on the Euro4 and all the short range models now :(. Only thing we get is just its outer edge, which could deliver a few cm's but will likely be so light it wont settle even with the sub zero temps.

Read muckas post on the model discussion thread. West Yorkshire is the sweet spot. Your out by about 50 miles in your head

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Well I hope I get something out of this front, being in the western side of west yorkshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Does anyone get the feeling that something BIG is coming in the near future snow wise?!

I just have a gut almost uneasy feeling that everything is about to explode into life by the end of the weekend into early next week!

Expect Weather Warnings for our region as early as tomorrow but certainly by Sunday.  I have a feeling we are on the cusp of a spectacular cold and snowy spell which will be remembered for years to come.

Nothing more than a hunch based on the constantly changing models (and no I have not been drinking!) but something has got to give soon with the Atlantic firing up and the cold going nowhere.  

Expect fireworks!!  :bomb:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

I really hate the fact that no one has a clue as to what is going to happen!

I would rather know what to expect then I can get over the disappointment or get really giddy whichever way it was going to fall! 

The mod thread is giving me a headache and I'm sick of reading "more runs needed" just wish it would be nailed on one way or the other. Really frazzling my brain but cannot keep away! 

@Kentish Snowman I really really hope your hunch/gut feeling is right! I want the sledges out lol :) 

Posted

Definitely some interesting times ahead I would say, especially those that are a bit further west.

However, the reality is that nothing is set in stone, even just a few hours out, so I would urge caution until pretty much T+0 over the next few days! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

I'm glad I've been too busy this year to be keeping a proper check on the models

Don't know how you've all coped/are coping. The models are usually a nightmare in these situations anyway but this year certainly takes the biscuit!

I'm going to sit back, hibernate, and re-emerge mid week to see what's happening........ when it'll probably still be unclear.

Good luck everyone! :D

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Seen as I yet again missed out marginally on snow again at home I decided to treat myself to a big fat snowfest. Walked up to Urra Moor in the North York Moors which is the highest point at a decent 454m asl. I noticed that this area had received the highest accumulations yesterday, I have no idea of the actual depth of snow because there was so much drifting but it was up to my knees most of the time, the bridleway sign in one of the photos are about 6ft tall and as you can see its half covered, highest drifts against walls around 4-5ft. Temps below freezing and clear blue skies, Il let the photos speak for themselves

Looks amazing! Weird to think it's so close yet down here there's nothing

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
39 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

Read muckas post on the model discussion thread. West Yorkshire is the sweet spot. Your out by about 50 miles in your head

Might want to look at the charts again, they are all show the main bulk is down Cheshire gap, even Mucka has corrected himself.

Also the BBC's 18:30 forecast was having no of it and it doesn't even it make it out of Scotland before dying off.

Can all change as I said before, but Sunday really is looking like a none event for our region. Big possible is Monday still, all depends on how far the front gets but given the ECM is backing its 'sister' model ARPEGE that's becoming also unlikely to have any impact here. As it stands we are going to be missing out.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

well the met office this morning had a forecast of snow for sunday, now is just going to be chilly and cloudy, much milder air in place by wed with rain,  so close but no cigar.

Posted

I'm not buying anything yet, I'm not giving up hope haha :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

WOW @vizzy2004 !!!!  Stunning pics. Im well jell haha. That last pic is epic, wallpaper stuff :D

Looks like the coast and NY moors are in for more snow showers tonight and tomorrow so youll probably see more. Good luck to you!

We shall see what the next few days brings for us westerners....could be a win on Monday :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

WOW @vizzy2004 !!!!  Stunning pics. Im well jell haha. That last pic is epic, wallpaper stuff :D

Looks like the coast and NY moors are in for more snow showers tonight and tomorrow so youll probably see more. Good luck to you!

We shall see what the next few days brings for us westerners....could be a win on Monday :cold:

Don't think il see anything at home tonight, but as you say the NYM's may see a top up. I'm lucky that I can drive as if i didn't i can see the snow topped Wolds and Moors from my garden and id be going insane. Deffo going to have to consider moving into the Moors. 7cm here in the last 3 winters! Depressing stuff. Hope you westies get your fix soon :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

NIce pics Vizzy.

• Like 1

Posted

I recorded about 12mm of snow melt yesterday then it snowed more on top.
I guess that would calculate to be about 6" - but there would be more higher up no doubt.

Posted

Whats peeps temp at mo?

I've just got a run of the mill thermometer on side of shed and just been out to check a just over -2.

Doesn't seem right to me.80m absl.

Edited by joggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
7 minutes ago, joggs said:

Whats peeps temp at mo?

I've just got a run of the mill thermometer on side of shed and just been out to check a just over -2.

Doesn't seem right to me.80m absl.

Holding up at 1.8c here which is actually 'warmer' than it was three hours ago strangely.

Posted

The North Sea influence spreading inland.
Those severe frost temperature maps consistently showed just above freezing inland quite away from the coast.
1.8C here too but not much thawing due to lower ground temp.

Posted

APREGES (Spelling?) hi-res model looks to have shifted tomorrow evening more West-wards again, bringing in parts of the region possibly. 

Again though, it will probably be a completely different outcome tomorrow!

Posted

Ok well now I have got the face on, meto have removed my lovely snow symbols from early hours of Sunday morning.

All this up and down and for what! Where is the coldies reward for putting up with a week or so of shockingly confused outputs :( 

Posted
4 minutes ago, snow*please said:

Ok well now I have got the face on, meto have removed my lovely snow symbols from early hours of Sunday morning.

All this up and down and for what! Where is the coldies reward for putting up with a week or so of shockingly confused outputs :( 

In my experience, METO forecasts like those are poor at really proving at all accurate, even at close range, and with so many ups and downs, even at short range. 

Would say, just see what the radar looks like tomorrow!