Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
2 hours ago, saint said:

Ha! That wasn't what I wanted to hear!  But I'm sure this set-up will be/is different! 

Plus having lived in Hertfordshire, I don't think I'd mind 10 inches! 

It was a great spell but during the northerly in the second week of December we somehow managed to miss most of the snow which is really unusual. 

This was Leeds met on the 1st December 2010 so the snow was pretty deep, and this is Headingley 

5223578395_5b2543b306_b.jpgLeeds Met, Headingley by Reinhold Behringer, on Flickr

5223581553_1798d8016d_b.jpgLeeds Met, Headingley, James Graham Building by Reinhold Behringer, on Flickr

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A lot of Yorkshire didn't see much falling snow after the beginning of December 2010, that was certainly the case in York but 30cm lay frozen in my back garden for the rest of the month, the most I ever saw there. Hoping to beat that here soon as since I've moved rurally there has been no severe cold spell.

Onto the current models it looks like a cold spell will arrive next week, how cold?.... no idea and how much snow is not worth worrying about at the moment. Looking at the GFS for my location I'm looking at a frost every night for the next 16 days. Good luck all :)

Posted

Been at work since 6.Are forecasters saying anything on TV about nxt wk?

Looks OK for our region but would prefer to get the cold in quicker.

Thanks.

Posted

Just checked on latest forecast and they are just showing the blue colours feeding over the UK next week saying gradual change to cold by the middle part of next week but stressing the importance that its due to be much drier.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Just checked on latest forecast and they are just showing the blue colours feeding over the UK next week saying gradual change to cold by the middle part of next week but stressing the importance that its due to be much drier.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Confused! Is the word of the day for me! 

So many contradicting posts in the MOD thread. 

All I can say is bring the change...be it cold and snowy or just cold and frosty because I am sick of looking out the window at this mild grey miserable dross 

Look how beautiful the cobweb looks hehe...bring it on! 

IMG_20130116_092740.jpg

Edited by snow*please
  • Like 1

Posted

It's easy to forecast drier after the relentless rain we've had! racked up another 10mm so far today. That's 68.4mm here since 1st Jan. 

Onto next week and the cold is definitely coming! The usual favoured spots should do well for snow, the NYM and the coast depending on marginality. Of course features could pop up anywhere nearer the time. 

The issue with the MOD thread is that it's never enough! The main issue seems to be how long the cold will stay in place. The ingredients are all there! It just depends where the cards fall i guess. There is also a large amount of IMBY posts in MOD, bear in mind the majority are down south! 

I eagerly await the next Meto text update at around 4pm. As it stands their forecast of a brief cold spell followed by return of Westerlies is difficult to find in any of the model output but who knows what MOGREPS is showing!  (Only them!). 

Posted

Just been outside at work here in Bingley at half 11 in totally fog,drizzle and no wind.A gust of wind blew and all of a sudden in a freaky line,the fog just lifted within half a min with swirling clouds high above with a glimpse of blue.Really wierd,heading Bradford way and beyond now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Ah yes, Winter 2010, fond memories....

If we get anything like that again it would truly be a winter of two halves (not least after the terrible showing we've had to endure ever since.....shocking, mild mush here on the East coast in recent years). Last night's charts in particular showed spectacularly similar potential to 2010 but too far away to hope for anything like that just yet, as this morning's METO update only goes to highlight. They're still saying a return to westerlies for the end of next week the most likely evolution. We'll see!

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

Edited by supernova

Posted

Always remember on the model thread it's quite south based so my it's very biased towards them and not the north 

Posted
3 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

A lot of Yorkshire didn't see much falling snow after the beginning of December 2010

That's true we have been waiting for decent covering here in York for a while. March 2013 that everyone goes on about missed us though I think you got some Vizzy? You have a bit more altitude. And as for last winter...

I'm on a course in North East Kent next week so I'm going to take my sledge just in case...

Posted

IMG_20130323_100406.thumb.jpg.f273036723this was March 2013 where I am, was fantastic, sooooo hoping for something like this in the coming weeks. 

Plenty of snow days for the kids would be fab. :) 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
37 minutes ago, snow*please said:

IMG_20130323_100406.thumb.jpg.f273036723this was March 2013 where I am, was fantastic, sooooo hoping for something like this in the coming weeks. 

Plenty of snow days for the kids would be fab. :) 

Hopefully not like March 2013, once was enough. Round here lots of farmers lost a lot of livestock, we were lucky but some of our neighbours weren't. Some of the local villages and hamlets were cut off for a week, we were cut off for 2 days. Was fun to drive through snow 'tunnels' to get round everywhere but once really is enough as it was so damaging.

In fact its the classic example of how southern biased the MOD thread is that the March+ April 2013 spell is never mentioned as it didn't affect them, despite it being the 'worst' snow spell England has had in recent memory. 2009/2010 were bad but more due to the absurd cold than the snow round here.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
8 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Hopefully not like March 2013, once was enough. Round here lots of farmers lost a lot of livestock, we were lucky but some of our neighbours weren't. Some of the local villages and hamlets were cut off for a week, we were cut off for 2 days. Was fun to drive through snow 'tunnels' to get round everywhere but once really is enough as it was so damaging.

In fact its the classic example of how southern biased the MOD thread is that the March+ April 2013 spell is never mentioned as it didn't affect them, despite it being the 'worst' snow spell England has had in recent memory. 2009/2010 were bad but more due to the absurd cold than the snow round here.

Well Something in between would be spot on, no devastation and all the fun! 

Yes I have noticed the bias towards the south, models can be showing cracking charts but if they aren't what the south want to see the thread goes into depression mode, quite annoying really especially when I am trying to learn and easily get confused by conflicting posts 

Edited by snow*please
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, yaffle said:

That's true we have been waiting for decent covering here in York for a while. March 2013 that everyone goes on about missed us though I think you got some Vizzy? You have a bit more altitude. And as for last winter...

I'm on a course in North East Kent next week so I'm going to take my sledge just in case...

We missed out in March 2013 here, the front was agonisingly close. Managed 7cm last winter from showers off the North Sea but places such as York/Hull haven't seen any lying snow since Jan 2013, so children between the age of 3-5 May never have seen/remember snow :O

Posted

well i must admit from a imby perspective its not looking overly cold, the weatheroutlook forecast for next week has the lowest daytime temp of 6c so chilly yes,  here is hoping it will become cold enough for a snowflake or two, looking forward to seeing pics from those up-north who do see some snow.

Posted

Bit mental in MOD thread with alot of doom and gloom posts especially those in Southern England. For our region what a fantastic set of 12zs so far, UKMO, GFS AND GEM have all giving quite different outputs but the end outcome on all 3 is cold and snow!

First off we have the UKMO which brings the cold in much quicker and the flow turns NNE/NE by day 6 which would bring convective showers well inland and also the chance of embedded troughs.

UN144-21.GIF?07-17

Then GFS is a bit messy as we head into next week but it develops a much stronger Greenland High which would increase the longevity of the cold and likely to give us further bites of the cherry. From next Wednesday it remains very cold throughout with snow risk coming from systems moving up from the SW.

gfsnh-0-144.png?12gfsnh-0-192.png?12

Last of all with have the GEM which like the GFS takes longer than the UKMO to drag the cold air South but by Thursday we see a bitter NE wind set up likely to have convection and troughs involved as the cold air sinks South.

gemnh-0-138.png?12gemnh-0-186.png?12

Bare in mind that all these charts are 6 or more days out so alot can upgrade/downgrade until then, but CURRENTLY all of the 12zs so far point towards cold and snow for much of our region by the end of next week, fingers and toes crossed.... all eyes on the ECM!

• Like 3

Posted

@vizzy thank you for that fab post, sick of seeing the southerners paddying in the MOD thread, really confusing! 

Everything crossed for cold and snow next week :) 

• Like 1

Posted

A cloudy and wet start again, with moderate rain and drizzle falling through the morning. The afternoon became dry with broken cloud, and quite windy at times.

Max Temp 6.2C

WindChill Temp 4.7C

Min Temp 4.6C

Wind Gust 24.2mph West Nor' Westerly

Wind Average 11.9 Sou' Easterly

Rainfall 12.6mm

Barometer 986mb Rising

Posted

graphe3_1000___-1.132075471698112_54.372

Ensembles for North Yorkshire (similar for rest of region) on the 12z are pretty solid for cold bar the odd peturb, with the mean below -5c from the 13th until the 20th, thats 7 DAYS!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Paul Hudson winds me up just got asked again about next week and he just says it only a cold snap not snowmaggedon, hope its somewhere in between as the charts suggest different.

Posted
9 minutes ago, CasMan said:

Paul Hudson winds me up just got asked again about next week and he just says it only a cold snap not snowmaggedon, hope its somewhere in between as the charts suggest different.

Its likely he will be remaining professional as if he says snowmageddon is coming and nothing happens he would just get a load of grief.

JMA and ECM complete the full house for cold and snow this evening, we really are spoilt for sypnotics, just gotta reel them into the present now.

JN144-21.GIF?07-12 ECH1-168.GIF?07-0

Posted
8 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

he will be remaining professional as if he says snowmageddon is coming and nothing happens he would just get a load of grief.

Thanks yes it makes sense just wish he would accept the fact that it looks promising a bit more like say John Hammond does on the national weather.

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, CasMan said:

Probably because whenever he opens his mouth rubbish come out so he know he just sticks to whatever the script is from the Met Office. And its a running joke on Look North that he's always wrong with the presenters making fun of him and him getting a of complaints if things don't go to plan.

I think the best one was the evening of Feb 2nd 2009 when he said there would be 50cm, it was raining across alot of Yorkshire when it was supposed to be all snow and the radar returns were showing 2mm per hour lol. I don't expect nationwide forecasters to get localized variations correct but when all he had to do was step outside or look at the local weather stations to see things weren't going to plan, he strikes me as a bit lazy. 

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 2