Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Can you solve the maths question for Singapore schoolkids that went viral?

be00992c-012d-4216-9e7a-2751a79c75c4-620

Singapore usually comes top, or nearly top, of the international rankings in primary maths performance.

And when you read this question – you can see why. It’s an excellent logical puzzle, which will stump most adults.

To clear up any ambiguity, Cheryl tells Albert the month in which her birthday falls, and she tells Bernard the day’s number.

In other words, Albert is told either May, June, July or August. Bernard is told either 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19.

The question was posted by Singapore TV presented Kenneth Kong on his Facebook page this weekend and has gone round the world.

He wrote: “This question causes a debate with my wife .... and its a P5 question.†I’m assuming that means primary Year 5.

Can you do it? Are you smarter than a Singaporean ten-year-old?

Go on, give it a try.

June 18 is my answer. What's yours Knocks?

Cheryl is a woman so what ever date it is you will get it wrong and she wont let you forget it for the next 20 years!

July 16 is my guess.

We can gather from his statement that Albert has been told either July or August so he knows that Bernard has not been given any unique numbers ( 18th and 19th from June and May)) so hence statement 1 - he thinks that Bernard will not be able to work out from the info that he has been given.

So Bernard has one of the remaining four numbers for July and August. He would not be able to work out the answer if the date was the 14th so we can rule that out. That leaves three numbers of which the only one that they could both possibly be sure of, is the remaining one in July (ie the 16th) because if Albert had been told August he still wouldn't know (though Bernard still would).

So then

Albert gets the month, Bernard the day

Albert does not know, but knows Bernard doesn't know either, which means dates June 18th and May 19th are out as these are singletons.

If he can be sure of that, then surely her birthday isn't in May or June using the same logic, if it were either of these months then there is a chance Bernard could know.

This leaves July 14th, 16th and August 14th, 15th, 17th

For Bernard to figure this out, we can exclude July/August 14th

So remaining options are July 16th and August 15th/17th

One month has one date, the other has two, you can exclude the one with both.

Correct answer - July 16th. (I hope)

Excellent same logic as Ed above.

based on 2 people ‘knowing’ a day and a month respectively

July 16th has to be the answer

based on eliminating the other months/dates

that’s my guess (-:

edit.. oh' beaten to it

I agree with the July 16th guess.

Reminds me of the joke: Three logicians walk into a bar. The barman asks "Would ye all like a beer?". The first logician replies "I don't know". The second logician replies "I don't know". The third logician replies "Yes".

Badum tish...

In the Library with an avocado.

I do not get this at all how can you infer one knows the month and one the day?

I do not get this at all how can you infer one knows the month and one the day?

Because they are told.