Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What is your favourite type of storm?

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite type of storm?

• Thunderstorms
    • Snowstorms
    • Atlantic windstorms
    • Torrential hail/rainstorms
    • Ice storms
    • Non! Calm and settled is best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

post-21671-0-43037400-1428864154_thumb.p post-21671-0-32742000-1428864134_thumb.j post-21671-0-50890300-1428864133_thumb.j post-21671-0-89399000-1428864132_thumb.j post-21671-0-32515700-1428864131_thumb.j

For me it would be thunderstorms without a doubt, though I don't mind snowstorms either, assuming they occur in the correct season. Atlantic windstorms on the other hand would be by far my least favourite...

Edited by Thunderbolt_
  • Like 2

That's a toughie because I was torn between thunderstorms and snow storms - the latter got it by a whisker - the ideal storm would be thunder snow with dry snow making wonderful drifts to make a back drop whilst the lightning and thunder adds the drama :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

That's a toughie because I was torn between thunderstorms and snow storms - the latter got it by a whisker - the ideal storm would be thunder snow with dry snow making wonderful drifts to make a back drop whilst the lightning and thunder adds the drama :)

Same here. Both of the storms, I feel, have their own interesting characteristics.

I enjoy snowstorms for the heavy wintry precipitation they produce, and enjoy thunderstorms for their dazzling lightning and rumbly thunder displays. But like you, having both the storms happening together would provide the storm of my dreams. Especially if the storm started as torrential hail, and then there was a sudden temperature drop with dense 50p sized snowflakes creating whiteout conditions. This would last for several hours with the snowflakes getting up to the size of a Penguin (the chocolate bar this is) before clearing to much clearer skies. :cold:

My least favourite would be the Atlantic windstorms. Personally, for me, they just don't compare to the visual qualities of snow/hail/lightning storms.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Thunderstorms all the way..but the best bit is when the storm is heading your way..the dark sky (the best bit of a storm during the day is being able to see the clouds), thunder in the distance..just the general atmosphere. Something like June 28th 2012 when I was watching a storm form in front of my eyes would be my ideal day or a day when we have a few storms like I had last summer.

I find just wind or rain boring, unless there is some hail or it turns to snow. Or a clap of thunder  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

Lovely servere thunderstorms for me. If I see some over the English channel. I'm straight on to the cliffs with my camera n snapping away.

This photo of a mother ship supercell was taken last year near Roswell New Mexico while on the storm chssing holiday

post-20731-0-78895600-1428873997_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

As "The Who" once said, snowstorms all the way for miles and miles and miles!   :cold:  I hate "muggy mild/hot and stormy" weather just as much as "hot/mild humid and calm sunny" weather.  I hate all of the other storms with a passion unless they are accompanied by cold/very cold weather.

Edited by Goodbye Cold Weather! :(
  • Like 2

A very tough one as I love all extreme weather but ultimately nothing beats a good summer thunderstorm. 13/14 windstorms were awesome too in the way they just lined up 1 by 1 to attack the uk

Posted

I know ice storms are extremely paralysing but I find them strangely captivating for some odd reason. You cannot beat a snowstorm that gets my votes followed by a severe/damaging Atlantic gale.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I know ice storms are extremely paralysing but I find them strangely captivating for some odd reason. You cannot beat a snowstorm that gets my votes followed by a severe/damaging Atlantic gale.

disagree with last bit, my next best, thunderstorm, then ice storm, then non, settled

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Tough. Probably a tie between thunderstorms and snowstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Nothing beats the excitement of a thunderstorm coming and the bubbling excitement of a hot day, watching the clouds build and watching it roll in from miles away. Love the atmosphere from one.

A distant second is snowstorm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Thunderstorms, no competition.

• Like 2

Posted

Snowstorms win, hands down. Least favorite would be Atlantic wind storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Thunderstorms 100%. Even the anticipation of them forming or en route to the UK. Such an example being 18th July 2014 when there was dots every second going mental on the one that formed over Rouen and bombarded Kent! Hope we see a decent plume event again like that one this year, or July 2013 at least!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

A thunderstorm without any rain.I always find these storms slightly strange,don't tend to get them too often though!!.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

A thunderstorm without any rain.I always find these storms slightly strange,don't tend to get them too often though!!.

Dry thunderstorms are common in the summer monsoon seasons of hot arid/semiarid climates like the Atacama, Southwest US, Sahara, Australian, South African, and Arabian, and Thar Deserts.  Dry thunderstorms can also occur in the hot arid/semiarid climates occasionally in the non-summer seasons when cut-off lows from highly amplified upper level troughs invade the deserts.

Edited by Goodbye Cold Weather! :(
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

First  would be Ice storm for me!  because they are so rare and I would love to see one like the USA that paralyses everything.

Secondly would be snow storm and then thunderstorm although I have not seen a decent thunderstorm with constant lightning strikes for over 20 years, all we see in west country is heavy rain with maybe a dozen rumbles and flashes.  :angry:

• Like 1