Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

post-10703-0-59687900-1428850394_thumb.p

The other thread was starting to get a wee too big, so have let loose a new thread for you guys and ladies to chat about the weather in Scotland. Continue your discussions here. :)

Looks as though there will be some mixed weather for you guys for this upcoming week. Periods of cool, windy, wet, showery weather, especially towards Western Scotland, with some brighter, drier interludes at times, most particularly towards the end of the week, where High Pressure looks to become more in control. While perhaps nothing exceptionally mild, could still feel Spring-like in any sunnier spells:

post-10703-0-94021200-1428857469_thumb.ppost-10703-0-84503400-1428857467_thumb.p

Looking at some of the previous replies, though, and there is certainly possibilities that much cooler or colder weather could then develop for the week after.

The NOAA 8 to 14 day and ECMWF/GFS 8 to 10 day 500mb anomaly charts show varied solutions ranging from chilly cyclonic conditions developing between the West and North (NOAA chart) to more anti-cyclonic High Pressure dominated conditions (ECMWF/GFS chart).

post-10703-0-91749600-1428851594_thumb.gpost-10703-0-50381200-1428856107_thumb.g

I suppose for those of you in Scotland wanting to see further wintry and snawy weather you'd have to hope the NOAA anomaly chart has got the right handle on this. The bump in the 500mb flow contour line (green) and the lower than average heights to the North-East of Scotland (blue dashed lines) on that chart suggests areas of Low Pressure dropping down just to the East of the UK which could bring some wintry weather down towards Scotland on the Western flanks of Lows. Particularly for the Highlands.

I think as one or two people mentioned in the model thread, to see a much colder shot develop from the North-West or North will likely depend on whether the UK High Pressure later this week can retrogress far enough West in the Atlantic (in response to possible troughs dropping to our East) to allow some cold, cyclonic, wintry conditions to develop to the North. At least for some of you in here who enjoy snawy weather will still generally have a better chance than here down South. :)

Which ever way you look at it, I guess, there should be something there in the next week or two for a fair number of Scotland weather fans to enjoy (especially if a cold spell from the North-West/North does develop). :good:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Mainly sunny, some high level cloud about.

Very chilly at 3.6c after. Frost overnight.

Should be a decent day before some patchy rain arrives...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Gettin' breezy up here again, Cal Mac ferries on amber alert. Come on Spring......lighten up a wee bit eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Was very sunny this morning, Now pretty cloudy with a strong breeze. I envy England so much reaching the low-twenties!! :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hail again overnight but has dried up today. The was some interesting mackerel-type high cloud earlier, just stratus now - uniform greyness - but at least it's a wee bit warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just 8c here now after a very nice morning at 10c.   Light rain on and off and a bit dreich.   Rather envious of of the warm spell this week for the south.   What would I give for a possible 25c right now.post-1989-0-66287300-1428934460.txt

Posted

The heavy rain that predicted on Saturday for today and the patchy rain that was predicted yesterday for today has not materialised thankfully.

The odd spit of rain but that's been it, fairly bright if not occasionally sunny all day.

Not that warm though at 10.4c with a noticeable cool breeze.

A 'useable' day and it is only mid April but I too and envious of the lovely conditions forecast south of the Pennines.

Our time will come.... I hope

Posted

Another very windy gusty day with dust and tree debris flying about again, very disagreeable.  Started off the day at 3c but currently 9.8c and overcast but dry.

With the strength of the wind it does not feel warm out there this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Am in a mood now because I've seen the forecast for London. I have grey drizzle and 10C :angry: :angry: :angry:

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Am in a mood now because I've seen the forecast for London. I have grey drizzle and 10C :angry: :angry: :angry:

Aye Mardatha! the Bassas.

The Auld annual North/South Divide eh.

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Ooooh what a grey day!   11c with a nippy breeze.   Local forecast has us wet tomorrow morning but unbroken sunshine in the afternoon.  We can but hope!

post-1989-0-10354700-1429012710.txt

Posted

The predicted rain has never materialised (thus far).

Some sunny breaks for about half and hour at 2pm and feeling humid at 13c but has since clouded over and feels chilly at 10.6c with a wind.

Not great but nowhere near as bad as predicted just a day or so ago.

Posted

Great growthy evening steady rain and currently 11c, need warm nights to get plants really growing well.Two fields sown on the last days in March coming through   tonight with the rows of green shoots just visible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I see in the model thread they're worrying about a possible 'break down'. Otherwise known in Scotland as the usual.

• Like 1

The predicted rain has never materialised (thus far).

Some sunny breaks for about half and hour at 2pm and feeling humid at 13c but has since clouded over and feels chilly at 10.6c with a wind.

Not great but nowhere near as bad as predicted just a day or so ago.

Aye, the Met-O and BBC forecasts for Monday and Tuesday for the west were utter mince. We were up visiting my parents in Kilmacolm, it was forecast by them for a washout but the Euro4 and GFS were having none of it and were right.

It's another cold start today in the Borders, yet another air frost here this morning and a good scrape at the car to go dog walking at half six.

Glorious day now, and the models are forecasting this to last for a week. Perhaps some cloudy days here but getting warmer by next week. Lubberly-jubberly :D :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Thank god Catch, I'm so fed up with the late cold springs these last few years. I can see why people retire to the sun when they older, this is dragging me down. I haven't even looked at the garden yet, just canny be assed at all. Maybe some nice warm sun will work wonders.

Just in the process of packing the cat's bags, she's being kicked oot. Woke up to a fieldmouse running round the kitchen and furface snoring beside me on my pillow :rofl:

• Like 3

Thank god Catch, I'm so fed up with the late cold springs these last few years. I can see why people retire to the sun when they older, this is dragging me down. I haven't even looked at the garden yet, just canny be assed at all. Maybe some nice warm sun will work wonders.

Just in the process of packing the cat's bags, she's being kicked oot. Woke up to a fieldmouse running round the kitchen and furface snoring beside me on my pillow :rofl:

We keep our cat out at night, he's not got a catflap so there's no way for him to get back in. Otherwise he'd be exactly the same.

Aye, it should be a decent week coming up. If you can't get motivated now then I dunno what to suggest :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Great day, cloud was forecast to have pushed in by now and shows no signs of doing so :)

Currently 9.7c but feeling warm in the strong undisturbed sunshine.

I notice the dandelions and other such small weeds are starting to come through in the fields now and the grass is really taking off.

The next 7 (maybe more) days look perfect mid-late April weather, recovering nicely after a consistently cool/cold march

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

A max of 15.9c today, not bad. Next few days are a repeat, perhaps a bit warmer on Saturday and certainly into next week.

Posted

Similar NL, a 'low' of -0.2c (yet another air frost) and currently rising fast. 6.2c and completely clear skies :)

A max of 15.9c today, not bad. Next few days are a repeat, perhaps a bit warmer on Saturday and certainly into next week.

It's looking pretty warm/hot by the middle of next week. We need to remember it's only mid-April, even 13ºC is above average for the time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Today is a day of much gorgeousness! Blue, blue skies and lots of sun after a very nippy night. Temp got down to 0.2c, but what a sunrise we had! The air feels so fresh too, crisp and cool. More of this please!

• Like 1

Posted

It's looking pretty warm/hot by the middle of next week. We need to remember it's only mid-April, even 13ºC is above average for the time of year.

Very true and I do hope so!

16.3c max today, clouded over unfortunately by 1ish but still a nice day.

Edited by SW Saltire