Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Cripes... Sorry chaps.  I'll crawl back into my blackhouse and stare at the guttering flames....

And fifty lashes to yerself aswell please

Posted

You should CMD it's great for finding articles and weather photos etc....great when severe weather hits there is info galore once find the correct hashtag

Posted

Some shameless cherry picking...sights of greenie high and acceptable uppers....

post-15765-0-15993300-1447368160_thumb.g

post-15765-0-78621000-1447368175_thumb.g

Posted

Well having left my friends flat in Glasgow at 6:20 to catch the bus home to Inverness, we've not yet left Perth. Departure from glasgow delayed by 40 mins due to waiting on the London bus which had been held up because of weather conditions (grumble grumble Southern softies), thus meaning we've had to wait in Perth for the next connecting bus.

HOWEVER, this does mean (as a small silver lining) that it'll be pretty wild at Drumochter and Slochd on the way home and I'll probably see my first heavy snow of the season. Wish me luck!

That's so cool man, it could be much worse, considering you are stranded anyway...! 

After an eerily quiet, albeit sunny at first, morning, clouds packed in, making the day greyer as hours went by. However, I saw the sun for the first time in thirteen days, which is a respectable time even for this latitude of ours. As ever, though, worse times sun-wise have been recorded. 

A light rain started the prelude at three, insecure to start with, so much so that she was leaving the scene at times, but oh boy, did she come back half an hour later. That was the first strike, and the most prolonged in time, after which the wind began to howl and it seemed for a wee while that the world was coming to an end. Little did I know when I left school under drier, leaden skies smelling of sheer humidity that by the time I got home five minutes later the rain would come back with a vengeance, in the form of what you call 'squally lines', a name that bears a very onomatopeic resemblance to the sound of its rain banging on my window. 

Rain lashed the town for ten minutes, giving us our strongest recorded gust of 40mph but that was about it. Yes, it was a bit windy afterwards too but now it's all gone quiet again. Not to say that people in the far NW aren't suffering a good battering but this storm has clearly been mediatised, as it always appeared to me. 

Party carries on tomorrow with a new element: cold! And hopefully maybe a bit of hail or sleet just to quench my thirst for some icy stuff. 

Have white dreams! 

• Like 1

Posted

Quite calm just now but it's also much clearer and fresher, thank god! That was quite an exciting little squall line earlier, no idea what the wind gusts where but I was impressed at high sustained the winds were. It looks like we are under a quite unstable airflow just now so I presume there's a chance of lively weather other than the actual storm itself.

Wrt storms being named, I personally think it's a good idea in making weather events of note more identifiable interms of forecasting, and preparing for and looking back on aswell. Abigail has certainly grabbed wider attention than if it hadn't been named as it gets referenced more by mainstream and social media. I agree that The stormitself, despite the hype, isn't particularly significant as it's not that widespread an event, and isn't potent by the standards of the northern and western parts in the firing line. Nevertheless it's first storm of note of the season with the potential to bring a degree of disruption or damage that warrants an amber warning to parts of the country. There'll be more named storms in the coming months and more troublesome ones aswell.

It's good to get some fresher, cooler and clearer conditions for once, nothing remarkable but at least we've got some conditions which better resemble the time of year. Not to mention the first proper hill and mountain snow of the season. Another feature mentioned by some recently is the worrying prospect of flooding, despite having anti-cyclonic conditions prominent on the near continent and not particularly changeable or active conditions, it hasn't been enough to deflect rain-bearing fronts away from Scotland. Many areas of Britain, particular yob northern and western parts, the ground us already saturated and river level are high. Despite a slightly more mobile weather pattern, further depressions will sweep in iff the Atlantic, bringing yet more persistent, heavy and prolonged rainfall. Some people have likened the current pattern to November of 2009, a very mild but more noteworthy very wet month which infamously saw serious flooding in parts of the Lake District.

Another feature emerging in the models is the potential for a northerly. It appears we could see the first proper cold snap of the season with widespread frost and potential snow showers in a typical late November northerly (ala 2005, 2008). It will be interesting to see how the models deal with this scenario, it could disappear completely or upgrade into something more potent or long lasting, I suspect it'd be a short-lived cold snap but could potentially be replaced by another shot of cold Pm or Am air given how there's currently a lot to play for the NH pattern projected in the models, especially the lack of low heights/thickness in the N.Atlantic around Southern Greenland and Iceland although I think we'll see developments in the models for segments of the PV to locate closer to Greenland.

Posted

Impressive squall line came through at 6pm, caught by the Leuchars hourly reports, 33mph mean wind, gusting 70mph. Got soaked in the few seconds it took me to make the less than 10m dash between exiting the car and entering the front door!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Bit gusty here, although not as bad as when the squall line hit earlier. I'm almost done with the winter forecast so that should be out at some point tomorrow or early Saturday, but in the meantime there's a bit of interest tomorrow morning if you're looking for the first flakes of the season from the late night NMM (a wee reminder that now might be the time to subscribe to Netweather Extra for the winter, especially with the new 500m radar):

post-9298-0-15133400-1447372242_thumb.pnpost-9298-0-73330100-1447372243_thumb.pn

as there is with the EURO4:

15111306_1218.gif 15111306_1218.gif

And some pretty hefty gusts still overnight the further north and west you go, although not quite in the same ballpark as some of the storms of the last 4 years:

15111303_1218.gif

Take care out there tonight folks. 

• Like 1

Posted

A min of 4.1c here this morning which equals my lowest reading of the Autumn.

Posted

3.5c here and still breezy with showers to the west. Snowing on the A9 at Drummochter, may even see a wet flake this morning here.

Posted

Sleety here in Aviemore this morning, when the cloud cleared for a minute, could see a really good covering on the higher ground around us. Will try and grab some photos if it clears for long enough once the light is better. 

Radar looking wintry!

post-2-0-51379400-1447401828_thumb.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all from a relatively calm Skye! Well, last night passed without power failure or toppling of trees chez Mistyqueen. It's a wee bit blustery just now but the main feature is the plummeting temperature, currently 4.7c. Aaaaaaaannnndd.......there's snow on them thar hills! Just a wee dusting, but that coupled with the cauld tells me that winter is definitely here! I believe that most of the Western Isles are without power just now, and I don't know what the wind speeds came in at over there, but here's hoping they're all connected soon.

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Caingorms are getting a covering and the mountains are white over  :D   :yahoo:

lairig-ghru.jpegcairngorm.jpeg

• Like 3

It'll be interesting to see the 06z GFS with a rain prediction for the weekend, but the Met-O rain warning looks too far south. Southern and western Scotland looks like getting a soaking going by the 00z.

Posted

Was snowing on the commute from the house towards Inverness earlier. Much more surprising was a wintry mix on the drive between the Kessock bridge and Conon (which is not far above sea level) Looking at the wee covering on the Slochd Cam I'm hoping it'll be white on my return home later

Great to see though folks, especially after such boring weather of late

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Bright, breezy and cool this morning so far (3/4C earlier, I didn't look that closely).

Yesterday was pretty much a non event here. We got a band of fairly heavy rain coming though late afternoon into early evening but although heavy at times it was nothing exceptional. Same with the wind i.e. it was windy but nothing out of the ordinary, or worthy of a Yellow warning IMHO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Wet snaw falling in Crieff from 9.30am. Flakes the size of £2 coins for a while and settling on cars. Ground is saturated. Hills to the north are white.

Currently 1.2C in Comrie - the right side of marginal!

First snaw of the winter!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Boyzoboyzoboyz has that temperature dropped! Currently 2.8c and we've just had a heavy hail shower too so the hills have an even heavier white coat on them! Praise be for woodburners!

Posted

Although we have been sitting on the wrong side of marginal, I was not expecting any more considering we barely reach 50m elevation, however a sleety mix has been clearly spotted, with a few snowflakes in it, I was exhilarated. 

On the Ochills it was clearly snow, I'm guessing at an elevation of 150m judging by the looks of ppn. It has settled nicely above 350m. So so so nice to get this sort of weather after the mush we've seen as of late. And, first covering of the season for the Ochils too, I'm well made up! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Ok folks now the weather and charts are getting interesting. Time I signed on again to the thread. I think this is officially the start of winter, next week and later on looks really interesting! :D

The mild mush of late October and Early November is behind us...hopefully!

Might get a December Ski day this year. Always seem to busy to get one in but determined this year!

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Job Ad from Nevis Range, to report on ski and weather conditions for the coming season.

Snowsports Reporter - Early Morning

http://nevisrange.co.uk/jobs.asp

I would rather see a NE or Easterly flow with overnight frosts, clear days and nights beats this horrible air mass where showers are never ending.

You're too far west S&S84, it's breezy and pretty sunny over here. The showers are more or less fizzling about ten miles to my west.

N13: Aye, the charts are looking a lot more promising, and not at silly distances out. Next weekend has potential for something pretty chilly with both the ECM and GFS playing with some colder air.

peborant: I like your enthusiasm, you've come to the right forum :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift