Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Very windy today but not too cold at 11c. Spent the morning with the vet putting a proplapsed uterus back in a newly calved cow a really fun job ,calf huge but fine milked cow and fed it while cow was tied up. Took an hour to get her in from the field  first as cattle don"t like facing into the wind! Now raining at almost 3.30pm.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Kind of like a squall coming through right now. It's horrible!

Aye, crazy here.

Biblical downpour with gutters overflowing and road outside now a decent sized stream. 

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

loads of surface water flooding out there. Entire lanes flooded on the mate in central Glasgow but passable. Not cold but a bit more exciting!

Posted

Sun's coming out now and the rain has cleared but the wind ain't half gusting!

Posted

Still mild but much more of an autumnal edge to the weather. Skies have fluctuated between overcast and clear intervals these past few days and this afternoon there was a thoroughly unpleasant and wild squall. The emergence of changeable autumn conditions should continue aswell as remaining predominately mild. The models suggest the possibility of some lively conditions associated with deepening depressions aswell as perhaps an injection of cooler westerly intervals and the possibility of some mountain snow. Looking a little further ahead, the models seem less keen in today's output on persisting with heights around Europe and a few runs, including the ECM 12z project a scenario where MLB could transfer further north. It'll be worth keeping an eye on what trends the models conjure up for the latter half of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I know we're all saying how mild it is, but it feels pretty chilly out this evening - 6C in a strong wind and bursts of heavy rain is rather unpleasant after the recent late summer...  Sort of Golden Delicious to Spartan.

I know we're all saying how mild it is, but it feels pretty chilly out this evening - 6C in a strong wind and bursts of heavy rain is rather unpleasant after the recent late summer...  Sort of Golden Delicious to Spartan.

I'll second that HC, I certainly had a chilly pear when I left work tonight at 10pm.

I missed the squall this afternoon, I could hear it on the roof at work but didn't see anything. It did sound a little wild for a time, but it didn't last too long. Tomorrow morning should be more intense, with more strong winds tomorrow night into Tuesday. It'll certainly be a lively week, the west is going to take an utter soaking too, making up for the recent drier spell after all.

I wonder if the GFS or Euro4 is more accurate on the precip accumulation? Fingers crossed for parts of western Scotland that it's the GFS, that would be a soaking in 48 hrs:

post-2844-0-26233300-1447059102_thumb.gipost-2844-0-69822400-1447059100_thumb.gi

So much for the height rises over Greenland in around 8 days, this morning's ECM is having none of it, the unsettled conditions get worse rather than phasing out to something from the north or north-west.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

One thing's for sure. It's goodbye to the dry spell. Been horrendous since Saturday with no signs of much of a let up

Posted

Totals must be really piling up now. Been absolutely relentless rain and looks like a good few hours to come yet

Totals must be really piling up now. Been absolutely relentless rain and looks like a good few hours to come yet

Aye, it's piling in from the west and will continue for a good while to come.

I expect SEPA will have a busy afternoon and evening updating this: http://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/

We've gone from having a textbook radar return for a squall line this morning to having a textbook radar return for rainfall enhanced by orographic uplift. You can "see" Arran as a blob of rain on the radar.

Posted

Dollar Burn running wild tonight after a good few days of relentless rain, tempted to go into the hills to see the swollen streams as soon as the rain stops -or more like takes a pause- on Wednesday morning. 

And this brought a question to my mind. Say, if it stopped raining right now, how many hours do you reckon it would take for burns to achieve the highest amount of water per second? 6-12? Obviously a wee bit longer downstream...Be looking forward to your answers!

PS, Menstrie reporting 15.3º which is shockingly mild. Not too happy about that but flood alert is making up for it. 

Good night!

Posted

Evening all,

Breezy but balmy out there. I have 13.8c at 11pm, was 14.7c at Leuchars at 10pm. Aside from the growing rainfall totals and associated flooding risk the mildness is the other November weather story so far. Most Scottish stations are way above average in terms of mean temps, with Eskdalemuir some 4.6c above the mean through the first 9 days of the month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Caithness forecast is dry but it's wet.  Having said that, the rivers haven't come up much at all yet. 

8C and breezy, headlights all day today.  Definitely not a peach of a day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well as is normal in a westerly regime, over here we seem to have escaped the worst of the weather in the past few days. We've had some rain, but a lot less than I expected, probably around 10mm in total since Sat. The sun has been largely absent, and the wind only really a feature on Sunday afternoon.

As for today, well it was 13.something degrees when I looked at around 8am, dry, but a sheet of cloud keeping it dull-ish.

The rest of the week looks like a mixed bag, but feeling cooler than of late, especially towards the end of the week when I hope to see at least some snow on the hill webcams.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

After a dry night, a moderate drizzle has come back this morning. I suppose I got an answer to my question when I went to the burn this morning and the water level had gone down quite noticeably although it still is higher than it was before the rains started, which only makes sense on the other hand. 

Mild theme. Do you reckon we will get any snow/sleet over the Ochil Hills this week? If so, at what height? I am tempted to head up to get the first glimpse of snow of the season if there's any chances of it showing up! 

Cheers, have a nice day. 

Posted

Still raining although nowhere near as heavy as it has been. Saw the sun for about 5 minutes on Sunday as it was going down but that's been it. None on saturday, None yesterday and so far none today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Mild theme. Do you reckon we will get any snow/sleet over the Ochil Hills this week? If so, at what height? I am tempted to head up to get the first glimpse of snow of the season if there's any chances of it showing up!

If you are lucky you might get a smattering of wet stuff on the very tops overnight Friday into Saturday if the currently forecast temperatures are accurate.

As for your question last night about river/stream response rates to rain, well it's a similar question to 'how long is a piece of string?'. Much depends on the catchment for the stream, soil and bedrock types, vegetation, tributaries etc. Each stream, even different locations of a single stream, can have quite different response rates.

For example, a stream in an area with impermeable bedrock and thin soils would likely respond quite quickly to rainfall. Thicker soils will tend to absorb and slow the progress of the rain (especially if it isn't waterlogged at the time), as will a more permeable bedrock.

I'm sure the likes of SEPA and Scottish Water have taken years and lots of effort to gauge response rates for the major rivers and tributaries.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

N. Scotland gets first named storm from Met Office, Abigail Thursday night into Friday

#Friday13th

naming convention from MO

#StormAbigail

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 1

Posted

If you are lucky you might get a smattering of wet stuff on the very tops overnight Friday into Saturday if the currently forecast temperatures are accurate.

As for your question last night about river/stream response rates to rain, well it's a similar question to 'how long is a piece of string?'. Much depends on the catchment for the stream, soil and bedrock types, vegetation, tributaries etc. Each stream, even different locations of a single stream, can have quite different response rates.

For example, a stream in an area with impermeable bedrock and thin soils would likely respond quite quickly to rainfall. Thicker soils will tend to absorb and slow the progress of the rain (especially if it isn't waterlogged at the time), as will a more permeable bedrock.

I'm sure the likes of SEPA and Scottish Water have taken years and lots of effort to gauge response rates for the major rivers and tributaries.

Thanks so much for your answers, I thought there would be lots of variables when it comes to timing the peak of a stream. As for the snow I am not sure if it's worth to head up in all the wet weather and darkness for a wee bit of slush. Still tempted though! 

N. Scotland gets first named storm from Met Office, Abigail Thursday night into Friday

#Friday13th

Can't wait, let's get more soaked! 

Posted

Another thoroughly miserable day of weather. Very wet and dull and mild aswell, it's very normal to experience dats or spells like this for the time of year but the sheer persistence of this weather type since the start of the month has been amazing. I can barely recall seeing the sun this month. It's certainly more autumnal weather wise compared to the quiet and far more pleasant conditions in September and October but, but I'd rather we had some more varied conditions including more sunny/clear intervals and fresher/cooler conditions.

The end of this week, as pointed out by Jo, is looking a great deal livelier with the first storm of note late Thursday-Friday with potentially disruptive weather in NW Scotland. cooler air also moving in behind the front. Potentially another storm for northern Scotland early next week. The general pattern for the next week or so is looking more mobile than it has been so far this season with the jet starting to track a little further south: lively conditions, potentially stormy and possibly further risk of flooding with a continuation of heavy and persistent precip coming off the Atlantic; a mixed bag of clear/overcast, dry/wet, chilly/mild with the general trend less mild with increased opportunities for cooler air masses and possibly hill snow.

Posted

It MAY have finally stopped raining. Seems we have a clearer gap at least. Probably too late for sun but almost a miracle after the lashing we've taken

We ended up with a not bad day here, breezy but mild and not overly wet at all. It's still 13ºC but the temp should drop away a little overnight.

The models aren't showing much apart from wind and rain, but if Blitzen's theory about November cold holds true then that's a good thing :D

Posted

In jan there was a period of really heavy rainfall at all levels after heavy snowfall, on the basis of the model predictions I was expecting something awful to happen in Inverness as the forecast rain totals were well in excess of the 1989 flood that brought down the Ness Viaduct. SEPA never released a full on flood warning for the Ness, and it topped out basically level with it's banks and the odd big puddle on surrounding streets, where drains had backed up.

This was despite Loch Ness reaching the highest level ever recorded following the sudden lowering of Loch Oich after a weir collapse on the Caledonian Canal. The wind blowing from the NE at highest water level backed up Loch Ness, rather than in 1989 when a SW wind helped drive water into the River Ness. Clearly the catchment models have advanced hugely over those 26 years and SEPA got that call right for the Ness !

• Like 2