Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

An impressive 19c at Prestwick this afternoon!

22 in North west Wales apparently. That's impressive for November!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's close run but I'm sticking by my claim of member with the least wintry location on the Scotland thread. ;-) Having said that I know our fellow poster from Irvine would also dispute that! Let's see how this winter pans out, next month marks 5 years since the last time I had a cm of snow on the ground (nothing more than a dusting since)!

Beautiful morning here now. Blue skies and sunshine, 10c.

Ok, you can have the hat then. That's an awful record to be claiming.

Posted

Ok, you can have the hat then. That's an awful record to be claiming.

I'm certainly not proud of it! I try to keep in mind it's also one of the driest and sunniest spots in Scotland....but that doesn't help when everyone else has snow and I don't!

Posted

Mildest November day at Glasgow airport since 2011 with a maximum temperature of 15c. Every year we can expect mild weather in late autumn but 15c is pretty good going for the time of year. A very nice day too with autumn sunshine and blue sky and despite the temperatures it does look much more like late autumn now with the sun lower in the sky and setting in the SW late in the afternoon. Hopefully over the coming weeks we'll see some more frosts and fresher conditions to accompany the progression towards winter.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Even as an avowed 'coldie' I can't complain about the weekend we've just had. It might be slightly nuts temperature wise for the time of year but it's been nice to have some sunny weather to get out and about in, finishing off jobs before winter strikes. Chilly start this morning was enough to remind you it wasn't summer, along with some great displays of colour from the trees.

• Like 1

Belter of a afternoon and not cold. Really does not feel like November. May well get a lot of fog tonight though........................

It looks that way NUT, a fairly foggy time coming up particularly in the south of Scotland:

15110206_0112.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Stunning Day again, this Autumn has 'nearly' made up for the July, cold, trough, deluge. As much as it was a grim Summer, this Autumn has felt quite unique given the prevalence of High Pressure.

Chance to see loads of colour without the attendant Atlantic Jet blasts to dislodge everything. Some say boring, but think it's quite tranquil.

Temp record did go around lunchtime in Wales, so a record breaking start to November.

At the moment Winter seems an entire world away seasonally...

• Like 3

It's close run but I'm sticking by my claim of member with the least wintry location on the Scotland thread. ;-) Having said that I know our fellow poster from Irvine would also dispute that! Let's see how this winter pans out, next month marks 5 years since the last time I had a cm of snow on the ground (nothing more than a dusting since)!

Beautiful morning here now. Blue skies and sunshine, 10c.

Ouch. I thought I was hard done to having gone since March 2013 without much more than a cm a few times, but you can defo claim the thread hat on that one. You need to move house! I've made myself snowsick (homesick but for snow) looking at old snow photos and vids. Fingers crossed for some proper snow this year, for everyone :)

Posted

Went for a 3 hour walk on Rannoch Moor this afternoon, never added to the t-shirt I set off in. Bit bonkers for November, not a breath of wind most of the time and finally no ****ing midges! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

A poor start to the day but the afternoon was good.  Not that I was too bothered: a new book dropped on the doormat this morning (cheers Sandy): 'Set Adrift upon the World' - James Hunter's account of the Sutherland clearances, written in his usual lucid, compact style.  I remember reading Prebble's account of the clearances when I was young and it all felt very abstract and academic... now that I know the Sutherland straths and also know I have family connections there from that period, this latest book is starting to tear me apart.

My family were cleared from Kildonan in the 1810s. My great, great, great, great grandad was only 5 at the time and went on to live to 97 years of age. Quite impressive!

• Like 1

Posted

Aye I don't for a second doubt I had relatives affected too, if it was modern day it wouldn't be 'The clearences' it would be 'ethnic cleansing', slightly more food for thought with that

On a far lighter note, Reelig Glen didn't disappoint yesterday, as Lorenzo noted the lack of wind to strip the trees of the colours is giving us some wonderful rewards

post-12555-0-72985500-1446446992_thumb.j

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 4

Posted

As a gold panner of many years I know Kildonan quite well. Beautiful part with a sad history.

On topic, foggy here this morning after a superb day yesterday. Possible aurora forecast for tonight if  it's clear

Edited by frogesque

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Was expecting fog today.

On hols and planning to do some bulb planting in the garden. Fog a bit crap, but at least not raining...

Well, fog just lifted to give a blue sky. Hope it lasts!

3.3 °C.

Posted

Yep, we are not getting the same 'pea-souper' that is affecting travel and parts of the continent. Was hoping it would settle in last evening as under the streetlights fog looks brilliant.

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

post-7292-0-61239700-1446452787_thumb.pn

We don't need fog to look stunning. This from the Visit Scotland twitter account yesterday. Brilliant.

post-7292-0-01573600-1446452945_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cool bright start to the day here, blue skies all around and it was 1.4C when I checked at around 7am this morning but heavy dew on car windscreen & grass rather than frost.

Some excitement over in the MO thread. The GFS has thrown up a real curve ball for mid-month, but of course that's so far in the depths of FI you'd need a telescope to see it. Promising though.

I've gone back to watching the models more closely over the last week or so and my 'gut feeling' is that something 'different' is likely from Mid Nov. No more than gut feeling though, not necessarily anything particularly noteworthy or cold and I'll probably be proven wrong

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Not been in Model thread yet this morning, but out in the realms of Fantasy Fantasy ( parallel universe) Island GFS cranks in with a 1070mb HP over Greenland, very blocked Atlantic and a surge of west based -NAO.

post-7292-0-83393100-1446458042_thumb.pn

I wonder what the verification ratio is for a chart at that range, more chances of....add in metaphor here.. still good to see some crazy chart action and builds the interest for winter.

Edit - just saw Knocker's wxbell chart 

1079mb !!! Wow. That is something.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2

Not been in Model thread yet this morning, but out in the realms of Fantasy Fantasy ( parallel universe) Island GFS cranks in with a 1070mb HP over Greenland, very blocked Atlantic and a surge of west based -NAO.

attachicon.gifgfsnh-0-372.png

I wonder what the verification ratio is for a chart at that range, more chances of....add in metaphor here.. still good to see some crazy chart action and builds the interest for winter.

Edit - just saw Knocker's wxbell chart 

1079mb !!! Wow. That is something.

You beat me to it, I was coming in here to post the murkiest depths of the GFS teasing us, as ever. The past record of the GFS at landing charts like this is not good. If reality is close to that then we'll have too much energy coming over the top of the high and it'll topple into two weeks of Atlantic weather, as usual. Obviously I hope I'm completely wrong...

Posted

Stunning day here too does"nt seem right to be ploughing in warm sunshine.

Just adding cats last night were hugging the rayburn in spite of the warmth and we have thousands and thousands of geese  in the barley stubbles and grass fields eating voraciously so nmaybe the models for mid month are not so far out!

• Like 1

Posted

Some fog did descend but wasn't thick. Lifted into mist/cloud now. Seems we've seen more fog this autumn than we did last year

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Stunning day here too does"nt seem right to be ploughing in warm sunshine.

Just adding cats last night were hugging the rayburn in spite of the warmth and we have thousands and thousands of geese  in the barley stubbles and grass fields eating voraciously so nmaybe the models for mid month are not so far out!

I was watching and hearing the geese going over the Black Isle yesterday - some really long skeins of them heading west, probably heading for similar field towards Beauly.

Cracking morning in the north now, barely a shred of cloud about.  Seen people out in shorts and t-shirts...

Posted

I was watching and hearing the geese going over the Black Isle yesterday - some really long skeins of them heading west, probably heading for similar field towards Beauly.

Cracking morning in the north now, barely a shred of cloud about.  Seen people out in shorts and t-shirts...

I done dog walkies in shorts and tshirt at half 5 this morning and 5 last night. One thing it ain't just now is cold

I done dog walkies in shorts and tshirt at half 5 this morning and 5 last night. One thing it ain't just now is cold

I'm not sure about the shorts part, but it was a cracking day for a dog walk. The mist has cleared here but isn't far away. There are loads of geese flocking about, the photo is just one group of four which were swirling about (and it was a shame that they almost made a picture of a bird, but didn't quite manage):

post-2844-0-79962500-1446470150_thumb.jppost-2844-0-71626700-1446470206_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-52862600-1446470233_thumb.jppost-2844-0-93632600-1446470283_thumb.jp

Posted

Well, load of crocus bulbs in now. Also my wild 'Scottish Bluebell' (aka harebell) seedlings which I've been tending all summer.

Moving on next to some iris and tulips.

Fog didn't stick around. Blue skies, calm and 11.5 °C.

Perfect 'prep for winter' gardening weather.

:good:

• Like 1

Posted

Ok, stayed sunny - still blue skies with the sun setting.

When putting bulbs in the front beds, caught the woods just south of the house at their finest.

Tried to grab a few snaps. Don't quite do it justice.

post-9421-0-99404500-1446482374_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-94104400-1446482409_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-67759000-1446482448_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-53563400-1446482486_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-51763400-1446482520_thumb.jp

• Like 6

After a gloriously sunny day it's turned foggy very quickly after sunset. We took the dogs out for a walk through the aptly named Fogo, where there are more inquisitive sheep than there are people:

post-2844-0-75151600-1446484766_thumb.jppost-2844-0-67630900-1446484791_thumb.jppost-2844-0-27460000-1446484829_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-21235100-1446484861_thumb.jppost-2844-0-71285700-1446484881_thumb.jppost-2844-0-75011100-1446484895_thumb.jp