Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Certainly been mild recently!

An impressive 15.5c several days back (I forget, maybe the weekend, no time to check).

Yesterday was quite atrocious. Today, after a poorish start has turned reasonable. Blue skies moving in but the sun is that low in the sky it has hill now so won't see any sunshine here.

Roll on winter....

Currently 11.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yesterday was quite atrocious. Today, after a poorish start has turned reasonable. Blue skies moving in but the sun is that low in the sky it has hill now so won't see any sunshine here.

Finally cleared up here to almost complete blue sky. Just in time to see the sun before it clears off beyond the horizon. At least it will be lighter for a bit longer tonight, yesterday it was dark enough by about 2pm for most of the lights outside to have come on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hope the government aren't getting their forecasts from the Express.

Sorry, the Herald?

https://archive.is/nTgJW

Government preparing for the worst amid predictions of the coldest winter for 50 years

Transport minister Derek Mackay has confirmed he is preparing for the worst amid predictions of the coldest winter for 50 years.

I know the herald has gone downhill, but?

:)

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hope the government aren't getting their forecasts from the Express.

Sorry, the Herald?

I know the herald has gone downhill, but?

:)

You don't actually read newspapers still surely? They're just for scavenging and lighting fires with these days!

Anyhow... post-4537-0-61541000-1446162202_thumb.jp

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted

Newspapers are mostly an extension of the state propaganda machine, where the elite can create a broadly right wing narrative, saturating us with misinformation amidst a blur of irrelevant celebrity trivialities, occasionally giving us bull*hit promises to quell constitutional discussions and generally keeping us docile and neutered..*cough.. but you've got to love their ritual winter ramping

Anyhoooo hey folks, Didn't contribute over our "summer" but I tried to pop in as much as possible and have enjoyed the updates as always

With snow returning to the hill tops recently I thought it must be time to crawl out again. I've moved location, inland a few miles, near the Inuit village of Tomatin. Sadly the pine martens are less frequent here than at the old hoose but we are sighting Golden Eagles fairly regularly, which is a treat, but not so welcome by the local rabbits I guess

Had some cold night temps starting over sept/oct to get me in the mood for winter, Saturday before last saw kicking off near -5C and the frost lasting until early afternoon in the garden, other than that, it's been very boring. First snowfall last season was Oct 21 so we're already lagging, let's hope we make up for it

The precipitation numbers here are big and we have average temperture values akin to Dalwhinnie, so well placed for the snow fun. Sorry to get all imby on your ass. Hope you's are all well

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 7

Posted

Clear skies to start the overnight period meant we got down to 3.4C in my back garden last night. Cloud and drizzle/light rain has moved back in this morning though, so business as usual. Not sure I'm enjoying this 'Euro High' setup too much, but there do seem to be a few signs appearing of a 'pattern change' coming mid-Nov(ish). Quite what that will lead to is anyone's guess currently.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a difference between your far more 'continental' winter conditions NS. -5c....

Don't think we have had a frost yet, lowest was 2.3c.

Pretty abnormally mild for this late on, I have had around -2/3 end of September (quite a few years ago now, about 5) and -4/5 by October so to not even have one day close to freezing overnight is unusual.

Not bothered though. Franky I'm enjoying the mild weather as it 'can't' snow here (properly) until 4 more weeks I'd say (well it can but you get what I mean ie lie more than 24 hours etc)

It was -20.2c yesterday.... That was in the cold store at work though! Not even 'that' cold as no humidity, didn't even have gloves....

• Like 1

Posted

Oh, back to clear blue skies again. Could we keep them for the weekend please?

Posted

Aye I do enjoy the mild weather too SW, after a chilly start around 1C, today was mainly glorious sunshine and 9C. The Autumnal leaves are amazing just now, thinking of a jaunt to Glen Affric or Reelig Glen soon to make the most of it

Winter will come when it wishes, my only real preference is that it's snowy for the festive season

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 16 c with a fresh south wind, too hot to do any digging in the garden today.

Posted

Currently 16 c with a fresh south wind, too hot to do any digging in the garden today.

You made me go and check, it's 15.8C here currently. Warmer than half the 'summer' was.

• Like 1

Posted

A relatively cool 13c here this morning! I see Kinloss and Lossiemouth are reporting 17c @ 9am!

Lowest reading here in Crail so far this Autumn is 4.1c. Last winter's minimum was -2.6c. Haven't cracked -3c since 2012/13. I'm basically at the other end of the Scottish climate spectrum from Northern Strath!

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

14.5c here.... Not sure it's 'too hot' for outside work mind you ;)

Damp, light drizzle falling... Meh. Typical for the time of year really, except that it's probably 4/5c above normal. More September than (nearly) November weather

Posted

A poor start to the day but the afternoon was good.  Not that I was too bothered: a new book dropped on the doormat this morning (cheers Sandy): 'Set Adrift upon the World' - James Hunter's account of the Sutherland clearances, written in his usual lucid, compact style.  I remember reading Prebble's account of the clearances when I was young and it all felt very abstract and academic... now that I know the Sutherland straths and also know I have family connections there from that period, this latest book is starting to tear me apart. 

• Like 3

Posted

A poor start to the day but the afternoon was good.  Not that I was too bothered: a new book dropped on the doormat this morning (cheers Sandy): 'Set Adrift upon the World' - James Hunter's account of the Sutherland clearances, written in his usual lucid, compact style.  I remember reading Prebble's account of the clearances when I was young and it all felt very abstract and academic... now that I know the Sutherland straths and also know I have family connections there from that period, this latest book is starting to tear me apart. 

Hi Hairy Celt and even today the legacy of this shows itself in some of   the emotive outpourings as the Land Reform  Act progresses through the Scottish Parliament  this winter

Posted

Hi Hairy Celt and even today the legacy of this shows itself in some of   the emotive outpourings as the Land Reform  Act progresses through the Scottish Parliament  this winter

Yeah well.... Politicians will be politicians.  Most of us learn to disassociate our personal from professional lives...

• Like 1

Posted

A relatively cool 13c here this morning! I see Kinloss and Lossiemouth are reporting 17c @ 9am!

Lowest reading here in Crail so far this Autumn is 4.1c. Last winter's minimum was -2.6c. Haven't cracked -3c since 2012/13. I'm basically at the other end of the Scottish climate spectrum from Northern Strath!

Excuse me, that's my hat!

• Like 1

Posted

Excuse me, that's my hat!

It's close run but I'm sticking by my claim of member with the least wintry location on the Scotland thread. ;-) Having said that I know our fellow poster from Irvine would also dispute that! Let's see how this winter pans out, next month marks 5 years since the last time I had a cm of snow on the ground (nothing more than a dusting since)!

Beautiful morning here now. Blue skies and sunshine, 10c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Crazy temps over the last few days. Thursday evening it dropped to 4c, Friday night up to 17c. Currently 13.6c, calm and cloudy. We had a mini power cut on Friday night, off for about an hour. Plenty of candles on hand, plus oil lamps and torches. Then the internet crashed and has been playing up something terrible since. Spent a lot of time talking to BT in the hope it will sort itself out. It's been OK now for a whole thirty minutes! The joys of living in the Highlands and Islands!

• Like 1

Posted

Another warm day  fresh south wind 16 c and blue skies and sunshine amazing . Back to painting outside metal field gates. Paint drying AS FAST AS I PAINT INCREDIBLE!!!

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Another warm day  fresh south wind 16 c and blue skies and sunshine amazing . Back to painting outside metal field gates.

Same here NL. Wall to wall sunshine, not a cloud in sight. Cannot match 16c, but at 1650 m asl, 8 c not bad at this time of year. 22c reported in fohn winds in Salzburg region.

C

Posted

Belter of a afternoon and not cold. Really does not feel like November. May well get a lot of fog tonight though........................

Posted

An impressive 19c at Prestwick this afternoon!