Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Personally (usually missing the rain further NNW) I'm not that against this kind of weather (weather which has been distinctly lacking thus far. Nights would have held up had we had more periods of SWly mild winds).

Yesterday was mediocre, reaching only 15.3c.

Today is better currently 14.9c with a predicted high of 18/19 from the met.

Relative humidity is almost 80% (Carlisle station) so feeling muggy and warmer than 15c.

Those (not many) who left the silage last time are getting in a decent, albeit a little late, cut today.

Great for hayfever!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

If i could get rid of one weather phenomenon living in west/central Scotland it would have to be the azores high. Mild drizzle muck in winter warm drizzly midge muck in summer. At least it has it's fanboys/girls in the model thread. 12.8c and drizzle NICE

Yeah, went for a walk yesterday evening around the local woods and it was cool, grey, calm and very moist feeling. Even the wife remarked that it felt more like Autumn.

Today is looking better so far. Broken cloud and sunny spells but a bit of a breeze yet again. Forecast to get up to a decent 16/17C...before the rain moves in early evening.

At least 25 mate ;)

Not home so don't know what temperature it is. Pretty chilly here in Stirling anyway. Hopefully the warm weather will return soon

I can't even back you up anymore now I've moved out to the sticks again and it is defo much cooler out here. The car thermos are reading 2ºC lower up here than they do in and around Kelso, even my father-in-law claimed he could feel how much cooler it was up here on Friday when we were moving all our furniture. You're on your own buddy :)

It's great being back out in the country, we took DoggyC for a walk last night and at one point I asked MrsC to stand still and listen. We listened for a good few minutes and couldn't hear anything apart from the birds and livestock in the fields. We're not as remote as we were at Westruther as it's only 3 miles to the nearest shop but it's quieter here as the "main" road is almost a mile away and even then it's only a quiet backroad. It'll be fantastic in winter for star gazing, I'm not sure where the nearest streetlight is but I think it's at least a mile away. Not so sure about it being overly fantastic for snow at 130m, although it will be a lot better than living in Kelso.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Another day with a max of 11C. Nice :wallbash:

Aye HC!

We have had many a January Day at 11Deg C in the past 15 - 20 years!!!

Big Searching for Summer Innes

Posted

Lovely soft gentle rain just what the farmer ordered and currently 16c neeps loving it. Transplanted  runner beans so off to a good start outside. Strawberries coming along nicely too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Lovely soft gentle rain just what the farmer ordered and currently 16c neeps loving it. Transplanted  runner beans so off to a good start outside. Strawberries coming along nicely too.

It was a typical 12C on the north coast this morning, then it started to rain heavily. Torrential stuff as I left this afternoon. 15C on the Black Isle.

Posted

I can't even back you up anymore now I've moved out to the sticks again and it is defo much cooler out here. The car thermos are reading 2ºC lower up here than they do in and around Kelso, even my father-in-law claimed he could feel how much cooler it was up here on Friday when we were moving all our furniture. You're on your own buddy :)

It's great being back out in the country, we took Doggy C for a walk last night and at one point I asked MrsC to stand still and listen. We listened for a good few minutes and couldn't hear anything apart from the birds and livestock in the fields. We're not as remote as we were at Westruther as it's only 3 miles to the nearest shop but it's quieter here as the "main" road is almost a mile away and even then it's only a quiet backroad. It'll be fantastic in winter for star gazing, I'm not sure where the nearest streetlight is but I think it's at least a mile away. Not so sure about it being overly fantastic for snow at 130m, although it will be a lot better than living in Kelso.

Oh no! I've lost support. Someone who actually experiences the tropical weather of the south of the country ;)

130m will certainly aid your snow potential I'd imagine.

Would hate to be 2c cooler though, it's barely warm enough as it is.

Reached 17.6c today (lower than forecast and what I expected) I can't imagine that being just 15.6 (as HC alludes to also).

I like the countryside (living half a mile from a moderately sized village, 4/5 miles from town) but you sound very remote. I can understand how some like it, maybe after a 10 year spell in London but I personally wouldn't like such levels of isolation. Neither would I like to live in a city but I may have to...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Do you have a genie to rub that tells you when to sow runner bean seeds? If mine were still in pots indoors, they'd have strangled the tomatoes by now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Consistently meh weather here recently, nearly hit freezing one night a couple days ago (around 1'C if my memory servesme right) but largely hovering around 15'C or so and not particularly wet.

What has happened to the nice area of high pressure that sometimes visits the Highlands in May or June? Terrible this year except for one or two days in the low twenties.

Posted

Do you have a genie to rub that tells you when to sow runner bean seeds? If mine were still in pots indoors, they'd have strangled the tomatoes by now!

The were  started off in the cold frame so no high speed growth but some protection from fost. Now they are outside, at the end of the summer they can show if its been a warm or a cool one according to the amount of growth they have put on. Currently dull breezy and 11c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The were  started off in the cold frame so no high speed growth but some protection from fost. Now they are outside, at the end of the summer they can show if its been a warm or a cool one according to the amount of growth they have put on. Currently dull breezy and 11c

Today in the 'Scottish Gardening' thread we'll be talking about beans......

My first sowing of runner and dwarf beans in pots in my '4 tier greenhouses' was a virtual disaster. Out of 24 runner bean seeds I got 0 germinating and the dwarf weren't much better with at only 7 plants. The 6 best of those dwarf I planted out 2-3 weeks ago and they ain't exactly 'shooting up', in fact they are barely growing (the one I didn't plant out as it was the weakest looking is getting on well enough in the greenhouse).

My second sowing, done because the first was so bad, turned out better. Dwarf wise I have another 6 or 7 decent looking plants and about 4 other that might be viable, but still a fairly poor germination rate. The runners this time have all germinated and are growing at a rate of knots. I'll probably need to get them planted out within the next few days or they'll be taking over the greenhouse.

All pretty late though so no idea how they'll crop. Lettuce/salad leaves that were sown directly are growing, but very slow. Only thing that seems to be doing well are the radishes, but then again they always do. Oh, and the Rhubarb!

Snap_20150617-090025.jpg

Back 'on topic', weather, mild and muggy with only a gentle breeze, but too much cloud around to be considered sunny.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

17.8c recorded as a max just after 2pm. Cloudy but muggy back then.

Strong winds have since moved it with a little light rain at times and much cooler at 14/15c for the rest of te afternoon and early evening.

Rubbish.

Average max is 17.5c for June so can't complain too much but that very much hides a completely cloudy day and one which was only good for half the day.

When will summer proper arrive? Been spoilt by The July's of 2013 and 2014

Posted

Since Ive been up temp has gone from 9.6C to 8.9C. Drizzly in NW breeze.  Anybody forecasting some decent weather for the north? ( fed up with Carol telling us the weather is sunny and warm for just about everyone!!)

Posted

Since Ive been up temp has gone from 9.6C to 8.9C. Drizzly in NW breeze.  Anybody forecasting some decent weather for the north? ( fed up with Carol telling us the weather is sunny and warm for just about everyone!!)

Unfortunately it looks like a North, NW/ South, SE split, hopefully that will lift but it looks gradual so those furthest north will be last to see the changes.

Posted

Might seem a bit sad but nothing better than a NW/SE Split during summer I think (keep all the hot and sunny stufff to the SE) Been a bit of a dream last couple of days to see the weather not so brilliant to be truthful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Might seem a bit sad but nothing better than a NW/SE Split during summer I think (keep all the hot and sunny stufff to the SE) Been a bit of a dream last couple of days to see the weather not so brilliant to be truthful

I take it you like sitting indoors of a so called Summers Day, looking out at a Grey Gloomy Sky and falling Rain, while the Central Heating and the Tumble Dryer running up your Gas & leccy bills.

Big intrigued Innes

• Like 1

Posted

I take it you like sitting indoors of a so called Summers Day, looking out at a Grey Gloomy Sky and falling Rain, while the Central Heating and the Tumble Dryer running up your Gas & leccy bills.Big intrigued Innes

Haha.

At first I read his post and thought he was being incredibly sarcastically bad laughed but then I re-read it.

Almost cried.

We have had months of cloud, wind and rain... Why do people want more?

Give me a 2/3 week heatwave and I'll be happy but so far we've had barely 2 weeks of >18c days in 2015.

Not happy. Especially when seeing the weather for Queens on the TV.

Posted

Cool  breezy dry and dull here at 9c great for working in but not good for the plants. Mrs .Northernlights old boss was putting in some bedding plants this morning when I passed and she was telling me that their leaves are being burnt with the cold  very dry wind as soon as they are put out .She was looking for some  sustained warmth too.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

That fruit king azores high drizzle and 11.2c a nice breeze keeping the midges away the only positive

• Like 1

Posted

A high of just 14.7c

what is going on?!?

Doesn't sound THAT bad but with strong gusty winds and occasional spits of drizzle, extensive cloud then I feels more like 8c.

Heating is on a couple days before the longest day.

Unbelievable

Edited by SW Saltire

A high of just 14.7c

what is going on?!?

Doesn't sound THAT bad but with strong gusty winds and occasional spits of drizzle, extensive cloud then I feels more like 8c.

Unbelievable

It's not been that cold....oh wait a minute, that was last month :oops:

Aye, it is spectacularly uninspiring at the moment, something's got to give eventually. I'll take a guess at a reasonable July and a scorching hot August. Any other bets/guesses?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

A high of just 14.7c

what is going on?!?

Unbelievable

Good god, just looking at the temps up there at the moment. Would drive me crazy that constant cool wind. Same with my daughter in Stockholm, heating on tonight , max only 11c with mid -summer around the corner. Another wonderful sunny day here on the south coast with a max of 21c. 300 miles further south makes one hell of a difference. As much as I like the warmth, its the folk and the rugged countryside in the north that more than makes up for the drab weather for most of the year. Will move to Lancashire next year, but Austria will be main home.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Neeps on their way with first serrated leaves,picking the last of the stones off them tonight fine  and cool for the job and as mentioned above no midges. Dull calm and occasional drizzle showers coming in off the Firth. Currently 10c

Posted

Good god, just looking at the temps up there at the moment. Would drive me crazy that constant cool wind. Same with my daughter in Stockholm, heating on tonight , max only 11c with mid -summer around the corner. Another wonderful sunny day here on the south coast with a max of 21c. 300 miles further south makes one hell of a difference. As much as I like the warmth, its the folk and the rugged countryside in the north that more than makes up for the drab weather for most of the year. Will move to Lancashire next year, but Austria will be main home.C

Yeah, it is driving me insane this far. Britain is so beautiful but it would be perfect if it were just a little better in summer.

Still, we are below normal (excluding that blip of better weather) compare to the norm and June is noticeably cooler than the other summer months (the months has flown by though) so still hope.

Averages for here are:

June - 17.5c

July - 19.5c

August - 19.1c

[Official Met Office statistics - 1981-2011 - before anyone starts ;) ]

Last July was ether than average, same with 2013.

That is good enough. If you minus the wet days around 10, then that's an average of over 20 probably more on dry days. Factor in a better month than the long-term average and you're good to go.

Shame we have experienced that in both 2013 and 2014, looks like we may be in for a poorer than average summer :(

What are your averages down there?

Lancashire has **** weather. Not much better than here, move to Kent mate ;)