Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mushymanrob

23andme...... any thoughts?

hi

im considering getting my genes looked at by this firm who does analysis to determine possible health problem suseptibility and some ancestry information.

have any of you tried it? is it any good? are there alternatives?

ive read the responses but tbh they could have been written by anyone!

the site
https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GB_Search-Branded&utm_content=23c_Search_Paid_Brand&gclid=CM6syYXU68QCFcoJwwod8T4A9g

It ain't cobblers! Having your DNA sequenced to identify genes associated with increased risks of certain cancers or other illnesses, and identifying ancestral traits is all quite established science. I'd have to read up on the particular company a bit more, but it's something I plan on getting done in the next few years.

And what you gonna do when they tell you, you have a increased risk of getting cancer or another illness? worry for the rest of your life? cos in a lot of cases there isn't gonna be f all you can do about it!! 

My other half had similar tests for breast cancer later on in life. For which they are now monitoring due to the results..

i think it would be quite interesting to discover your ancestral background if nothing else.

And what you gonna do when they tell you, you have a increased risk of getting cancer or another illness? worry for the rest of your life? cos in a lot of cases there isn't gonna be f all you can do about it!! 

Take preventative measures, get more regular check-ups, etc. When you catch many of these things early on, they can often be easily dealt with. Knowledge is power!

Hmm I can see where you're coming from, I would suggest only those 40/50 plus to try it out. No point getting bothered about it while you are 'young'. If you have any concerns with your health naturally you should do something about it and get it checked up on. My dad's side especially have endured heart disease to be quite rampant. And then there is me with low blood pressure... Life is full of numbers and statistics do not let it overwhelm you, cancer does not discriminate even the healthiest get caught out. Most cancers are caused by a sudden mutation in the DNA sequence, this can not be prevented. With diseases you can act...

i think it would be quite interesting to discover your ancestral background if nothing else.

Take preventative measures, get more regular check-ups, etc. When you catch many of these things early on, they can often be easily dealt with. Knowledge is power!

Exactly guys... I think its worth a punt, and its cheaper then i expected.

A true second class ? Divergence of the human race ? Sounds like it could lead to a Morlocks and Eloi type of evolution :0......

It ain't cobblers! Having your DNA sequenced to identify genes associated with increased risks of certain cancers or other illnesses, and identifying ancestral traits is all quite established science. I'd have to read up on the particular company a bit more, but it's something I plan on getting done in the next few years.

Maybe it's not 'cobblers', but it does sound similar that 'Death Clock' nonsense; that thing that predicted that I was going to die in 1992!

But - more seriously - it'll be nowt other than an excuse for the Insurance Racket to avoid certain people. Sounds like a 'long-term economic plan' to me...

Scary!

The thing which I am not entirely happy about re the medical side is that I suspect the research will not be thorough enough, ok it says it will detect over 100 conditions but there are no doubt many others and the 'over 100' may be 101 - their principal aim is to make money, so it may not necessarily tell people all what they really need to know or may end up worrying others unnecessarily.  

I have had a relatively healthy life until the age of 72 years despite the many bad habits I have had and have been luckier than many of my contemporaries, so suspect I do not have anything that serious to worry about over the next few years although it is obvious age will catch up with me with the advance of time but in meantime don't worry too much about and live each day as it comes so doubt that side will do me any good.

On the other hand I would find that discovering my lineage would be interesting for me and the rest of my family but £125 is much more than I am willing to pay - I could get 3 aero tows and a couple of winch launches for that, so I have to prioritise and continue with this whilst I am still fit and able  :)

All for the idea and would like to see it happen for every person once born eventually. Genome mapping opens many doors (for another thread). 

Not sure i'll do it now though, i'd not like to be told there's a high risk of copping it early.

Every male in my family going back to 1272 has high blood pressure by 40 and death around 55 to 60.. We have family books and bible's  and in them is death records and so on.. so all well documented i would be happy to take part in such a study as when i have kids i don't want it passed on 

hmm..... i dont see why the results should worry anyone, (not knowing doesnt make it go away) in fact if they highlight a preventable problem it could well prolong your life (and quality). we know we are all going to die, i imagine we all would like as long as we can with a decent standard of life, so if this highlights things that could prevent this....wouldnt it be a good thing?

as for insurance.... i dunno... im not insured except for public liability and vehicle. IF information is passed on (and they say it isnt) it could work in your favour if your not for eg, suseptible to heart attacks in old age.

as i see it, atm, the good points far outweigh the bad. but maybe waiting might be the way to go as other more competitive firms might take this up.... or have they already?

A snapshot of my 'Brave New World' as I imagine with regards to this subject.

If, say the NHS, were to issue proforma's generally asking people to detail family histories as far as they are aware, then on the basis of these, initially, cause in depth analysis of the DNA to reveal potential weaknesses then this could evolve a system of detecting these early whereby peoples' lives could be saved by early treatment and in the longer  term it may even save money because the treatment for a condition caught at an early stage may need to be less intensive like Iffclude's family history of heart problems and the treatment for him with modern drugs could lead to a quite normal life and life span.

I, myself, have been on blood pressure pills for the past 20 years and there is a possibility that without them I could have died long ago. 

But as this idea progresses I could see that DNA testing will be become general and it is likely to become a condition imposed by insurance companies which could bring its own problems inasmuch as the results could lead them to consider than some people will uninsurable, or have their premiums loaded to counter the eventuality of a prognosis of an early death or life threatening condition. 

This could lead to insurance being offered, or not offered on a discriminatory basis which could be considered unfair though the majority could possibly gain, so all in all it needs to be something very carefully thought through.   

Of those 100+ genes they can identify as associated with certain diseases, it doesn't mean that you will get the disease, simply that you may be at increased risk for it.

If you are at increased risk for a specific disease, then it is possible to monitor for it and take steps to reduce your risk of developing it (if lifestyle factors are known to increase risk). There may be some diseases for which you are at increased risk, but the exact trigger(s) for developing the disease may be unknown - maybe some type of viral infection, for instance.

The life insurance issue could be problematic, and in turn, that can impact mortgages etc. Don't some companies now ask about results of genetic testing?

Definitely needs some careful thought.