Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April warm spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

As feared, a despicable day with an atrocious contrast in temperatures and conditions. Yesterday only got going late in the afternoon too, with unbroken blue sky teasing just to the south.

The worst warm weather setup.

At least you're not alone in your despair. Hasn't even reached 10C here yet!

003LumL.png

23C in the SE and just 9C here - I don't think I've ever seen such a drastic difference in weather between here and there in my entire life. It's literally like a summer day in London but a winter day here. Just bonkers.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

At least you're not alone in your despair. Hasn't even reached 10C here yet!

003LumL.png

23C in the SE and just 9C here - I don't think I've ever seen such a drastic difference in weather between here and there in my entire life. It's literally like a summer day in London but a winter day here. Just bonkers.

Sunshine gone very hazy here, not as warm as yesterday when we were in the blue sky all day. That band of cloud seems to have reached the Midlands and then stopped.

SE v the rest is the absolute worst in summer (Aug 2009, July 2010, Aug 2012); day after day they bask in sunshine while everywhere else gets cool dull rubbish. Never get any thunder when it happens either, I actually prefer June 2012 type weather given the choice. The divide always sets up in the same place, and the heat constantly refuses to shift even 100 miles north. It seems to be more and more common since 2000.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd rather have June 2012 too.. at least everyone had rubbish weather then. Nothing worse than sitting under a stagnant layer of cloud while 100 miles away they have glorious weather. No thanks. It's all or nothing for me.

But yes, they do seem to have increased in frequency. This type of set up is not normal, or at least it shouldn't be. It's just silly. Bring back the nationwide heatwave.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Sunshine gone very hazy here, not as warm as yesterday when we were in the blue sky all day. That band of cloud seems to have reached the Midlands and then stopped.

SE v the rest is the absolute worst in summer (Aug 2009, July 2010, Aug 2012); day after day they bask in sunshine while everywhere else gets cool dull rubbish. Never get any thunder when it happens either, I actually prefer June 2012 type weather given the choice. The divide always sets up in the same place, and the heat constantly refuses to shift even 100 miles north. It seems to be more and more common since 2000.

You could move...

:-P

Glorious here which is great but would like some storms later as a payoff before it goes all cold again. Despite the occasional heatwave in summer we don't get many storms here either so I share your pain in that respect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Glorious here again in the Midlands. Sure a little a high cloud but very warm. 19c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Glorious day here, just a few bits of fair weather cloud and temperatures closing in on the 25C mark. Shame the high couldn't have extended its influence further north, mainly to give areas further north some warm sunshine and potentially would have set up a straight southerly here with even higher temperatures.

Still this level of warmth is impressive for the time of year, it will probably be the warmest day this spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Glorious day here, just a few bits of fair weather cloud and temperatures closing in on the 25C mark. Shame the high couldn't have extended its influence further north, mainly to give areas further north some warm sunshine and potentially would have set up a straight southerly here with even higher temperatures.

Agreed. That High Pressure over our South and South-East really should have tried to put up a stronger fight against the army of Low Pressure systems to the North and North-West of the UK. Does look as though a brand new High Pressure system to our West/South-West will be showing the Northern UK Low Pressure systems who's boss as it builds over the UK in the next few days or so. (Though it does seem likely that Southern and Eastern areas could become swamped by a cool Easterly flow for a time as the High Pressure parks itself over Northern UK).

Very close to 20*C here (around 19.5*C currently) with some pieces of cirrus-like cloud around. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looks like we fell just short of 25C today. The max is 24.9C at St James Park.

Though things can change.

Edit we have made it :)

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Looks like we fell just short of 25C today. The max is 24.9C at St James Park.

Though things can change.

Edit we have made it :)

I hit 25.3C proper hot stuff you would wonder if it was July, the N/S divide is stark today.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

23.9 currently at Newport IOW according to weather station, has been an absolutely stunning day and long may it continue!

Posted

These warm spells in April definitely seem to be more frequent now. 27c was reached on 16th in 03, 26.5C on 15th in 07 and 27.8c on 23rd in 11 (plus a few other days in 11 over 26c). Wonder what tomorrow will bring.. Im thinking a 25c max somewhere tomorrow so not quite as warm as those dates but respectable nonetheless

Don't seem more frequent to me.

In the 1940s/ early 1950s it reached 26C on 17th April 1943, 27C on 16th April 1945, 26.7C on 4th April 1946 then the record of 29C on 16th April 1949 plus 26C on 30th April 1952.

Much more impressive than recent years as far as I'm concerned. Some of the other Aprils of the 40s managed 23-24C as well. 

Needless to say there has been no warm spell at all here with every day since Saturday seeing temperatures around the April averageof 11C. The one exception was yesterday when it reached 16.3C. This was also the worst day of the week with only an hour of sunshine.

Warmest day of the month here was the 5th with a maximum of 18.7C which is only a little bit better than the average for the warmest day of April.

A real day of contrasts Foggy to start, to cloudy to sunny skies just before noon, and then hazy sunshine from, late afternoon, with high cloud from the North est,

Temps mid teens not bad at all.

All in all a very good start to April here, (with a glorious Easter week)

June tends to be the month where western areas get the best of the weather.

Posted

A real day of contrasts Foggy to start, to cloudy to sunny skies just before noon, and then hazy sunshine from, late afternoon, with high cloud from the North est,

Temps mid teens not bad at all.

All in all a very good start to April here, (with a glorious Easter week)

June tends to be the month where western areas get the best of the weather.

The thing is, we don't often get the good weather here in a W/E split because the Pennines end at Stoke, and we are east of the Welsh mountains. So the dividing line goes north and west of here (through Mid Wales and Cheshire) while in a NW/SE split it's south and east.

Posted

Yep, only peaked at 11C here under all of this cloud. It just goes show how much of a difference the sun and air mass makes at this time of the year...

Hope those who had the warmth today made the most of it.

I don't. I hope they all got sunburn.

Posted

Yep, only peaked at 11C here under all of this cloud. It just goes to show how much of a difference the sun and air mass makes at this time of the year...

Hope those who had the warmth today made the most of it.

Had lunch out in a beer garden, it was very nice indeed.

Posted

lucky you !!!! :)..

Your time will come, inevitably when there is a solid layer of low cloud over my house  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Had lunch out in a beer garden, it was very nice indeed.

Could have done that here but with thick cloud, drizzle and a max of 11c, you would have needed a damn thick jacket.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not looking to bad on Saturday ,so beer alfresco then me thinks :)..

your area looks well placed over weekend, where as here will have an icy wind and grey skies

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm sat in the park in central Leeds with strong sunshine and a perfect temperature and wind.. Moments like this make life worth living. The spell this week has been very close to perfection here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

And some people will tell us we never have sunny highs anymore! I think this year has been very sunny so far. Very few completely sunless days for me. Fantastic month here.