Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dusk

MotoGP 2015

I noticed on one of the recent weather updates that the first race of the 2015 MotoGP season at Losail was mentioned by the author. I can only assume that it wouldn't have been mentioned unless there was at least a little interest in the premier class of bike racing on here.

So, in the absence of anything similar, here's a thread for fans of MotoGP 2015 which - if the first race last Sunday is anything to go by - is shaping up to be fantastic.

Points of interest IMO :-

• Ducati seem to have produced - at last - a bike that is not just rocketship fast, but one that handles the corners as well and has race pace
  • Rossi is still hungry for race wins even at 36 years of age. The guy is a legend.
  • The Yamahas look stable and sorted compared to this time last year, when both Jorge and Vale looked more than a little depressed
  • Sam Lowes and the Speed Up team in Moto2 look totally revitalised, with title winning pace (provided Sam can calm down a bit)
  • Danny Kent in Moto3 looks to be properly on the pace and in with a chance of the title
  • It looks like regular points this season for Cal and Bradley in the top class
  • Great to see Suzuki back in the premier class, and scoring points straight away

It was also interesting to see that both Marquez and Pedrosa couldn't better the lap times of either the Yams or the Dukes during the race!

2015 is looking to be one of the most interesting seasons - in all classes - for quite a while!

Next race - Austin, Texas : April 11th 

F12012_CircuitoftheAmericas.jpg

Circuit Of The Americas, Austin, Texas.

The main question is, really, will Marquez walk away with another win? In seven visits to the USA, in all classes, he's never not been on the podium and has walked the last two MotoGP races here. Certainly his riding style suits the place with some hard braking from high speed into tight corners, where he trail-brakes into apexes (apices???).

But.

The track has lots of flowing corners, which - after Qatar - would seem to suit the Yamahas of Rossi and Jorge. It also has a very long straight, on which the 2015 Ducatis will exploit with their top speed.

At the start of the stormy season in the area as well, that's another variable into the mix. It's a poor forecast for race day, which could play into Cal Crutchlow's hands.

In the tiddler class, let's hope that Danny Kent can consolidate on his 3rd place at Losail and that Sam Lowes in Moto2 doesn't get too giddy when racing at the pointy end.

I used to watch most of the races when there was live coverage on the BBC. 

But have not really followed it since.

Now we're getting into the European "meat" of the season, having had the French GP today, where are we at? As I see it :-

MotoGP : The Ducati boys are still clearly very happy with their bikes, and have good race pace; Rossi hasn't lost any of his talent even at 36 years of age; Marquez is looking very patchy indeed and I'm not sure if it's him or the bike; Lorenzo has really woken up, and if the last two races are anything to go by, then it's shaping up to be a bunfight between the works Yamahas for the title.......

Moto2 : Zarco is riding really well, and Tito Rabat seems to have found his "mojo" again. But our Sam Lowes is still at the pointy end of the championship even after his disastrous Jerez race.

Moto3 : In the tiddler class, our Danny Kent is about as majestic as it gets. So far this year, he's won two races by over 10 seconds (unheard of in Moto3 - the most closely contested class); he's become the first British rider in GP racing to win three back-to-back races (the last was Barry Sheene in 1978), and today finished 4th from 31st on the grid! The kid should walk this championship. Walk it!

With all the British interest, and all the uncertainty in the top class, this is the most exciting championship since Rossi's first season with Yamaha in 2005. 

rnd9_mugello1.jpg

So.

The Italian GP beckons this weekend, at one of (if not, the) best track of the season : Mugello, nestling in the Tuscan hills near Florence.

I'm suspecting a good race for the works Ducatis here. No nadgery chicanes, nice and flowing, and a straight well over 1km long it'll suit the new chassis and the power of the V4 engine. I can see the works Yamahas keeping up with the Dukes in the corners, but losing out on the start / finish straight.

Then again, if Marquez finds a race setup, he's always going to be in the mix.

My prediction :

MotoGP - Dovizioso

Moto2 - Rabat

Moto3 - Kent