Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Cricket - Summer Season 2015 and onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

i'm quite happy that eng are batting like drains, I honestly hope we lose the test so finally the hierarchy in the halls of power will be removed....Cook (as captain), Moores and Whittaker....get Vaughan or Stewart in, some more daring team selection..............and oh yes, & one KP back in the team asap

Edited by ajpoolshark
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny to read comments of 'careless' and 'sloppy' when the aggressive style of play was called for on a number of occasions in the past when such positive match positions were wasted due to slow scori

in all the doom and gloom for the aussies, there is one glimmer of hope....             ...in the form of a promising young batsman who top scored for them.....goes by the name of Extras .....l

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

i'm quite happy that eng are batting like drains, I honestly hope we lose the test so finally the hierarchy in the halls of power will be removed....Cook (as captain), Moores and Whittaker....get Vaughan or Stewart in, some more daring team selection..............and oh yes, & one KP back in the team asap

To be honest mate, I'm not even sure the likes of KP are going to be the way forward for the future. I'd prefer players like Hales/Taylor/Vince/Roy making their way into the side. Can be offensive and score at a good rate, but have just enough technique about them to make it as test players. There are some big holes to fill for me .

1) A proper opener with Cook. 

2) Someone in the top 3 who scores are more than 60 runs per 100 balls. 

3) The back up seamers? Stokes, yes for me - but Jordan as a bowler alone? No. 

4) Is Ali - Stokes - Buttler - Jordan a robust enough bottom order? Sure, it can score quickly, but can they repeat it? 

For me. 

Cook

Ballance

Bell

Root

Stokes

Buttler

Broad

Anderson

That's my side at the moment. Fit who you like around it. Jordan is a no for me, Ali - is he consistent enough? Someone just spend 2 months with Rashid teaching him to bowl 5mph faster. We need a proper 90mph, quick, powerful bowler (IE Finn before we ruined him), perhaps Tymal Mills. Get Rashid in there, he can bat as well. Stick Hales in with Cook, Root in at 4 and Taylor at 5. Bell isn't in there because he's getting on, not because I don't rate him, but the innings goes nowhere until Root comes in at 5. Lads barely an experienced veteran, he carries the side quite often which is a joke. 

In the top 4 you have someone with Tempo (Hales) and some proper test players in Cook and Ballance around him. You have Root in at 4, someone to build the innings around, he keeps the board ticking over but can soak up pressure and turn an innings back in our favour. Taylor I like, good solid little nugget of a player. Stokes, Buttler and Rashid to add some late quick runs. Rashid a proper official spinner. Broad is Broad. Mills is quick, young and interestingly a left armer and well Jimmy is our saviour. 

Cook

Hales

Ballance

Root

Taylor

Stokes

Buttler

Rashid

Broad

Mills 

Anderson

Posted

Cook

Hales

Ballance

Root

Taylor

Stokes

Buttler

Rashid

Broad

Mills 

Anderson

I agree about Hales being given a decent run, but I don't think it will be as an opener - it's not where he's scoring his runs for Notts at the moment, plus I suspect Lyth is ahead of him in the queue.

I quite like James Taylor (for a long time I didn't rate him at all, but he's really expanded his game over the past couple of years), but never in a million years would I pick him ahead of a class act like Bell. There's no reason why Bell can't carry on for several more years at the top level IMO.

Rightly or wrongly, the England hierarchy have clearly decided Rashid isn't up to scratch. To be honest he's never convinced me as a bowler, I'd place him well down the queue behind Moeen, Tredwell, and even Batty.

Personally, I feel Mills has done nothing to merit selection so far. Sure, he can bowl quick, but so can the likes of Plunkett, Footitt, J Overton and Meaker. For me, Mills has got to string together some decent returns over consecutive summers before I'd consider him.

My preferred side to face NZ in the first test is: 

Cook

Lyth

Ballance

Bell

Root

Moeen

Buttler

Stokes

Plunkett

Broad

Anderson

......with Hales and Wood on standby.

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan
    Posted

Stuart Broad symbolises the entire England test side at the moment - still half-decent, and capable of the occasional excellence.........but overall, a shadow of past glories.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

windies 22/0......it all looks a bit gun barrel straight from the bowlers, Windies looking comfortable

Posted

jordan pins Hope in front of the stumps and a minute later Brathwaite edges Moeen to slip....35/2

Posted

Let's hope Moeen bowls with a bit more confidence this time. He was Kerrigan-esque in the first innings.

Bish

Posted

Broad bowls Samuels with a beauty! 90mph........WI 70/3 at tea, with the England bowlers building pressure on the batsmen....

Posted

England paying the price for going into the test without a proper spinner. We would not have lost this test if Tredwell had played.

Posted

so england suffer a humiliating defeat and the series is drawn.....let's now see if the incoming Graves is a man of his word, and firstly sack Moores and Whittaker and review Cook's captaincy

Posted

so england suffer a humiliating defeat and the series is drawn.....let's now see if the incoming Graves is a man of his word, and firstly sack Moores and Whittaker and review Cook's captaincy

Indeed. It might not feel like it right now, but some good might come from this defeat i.e. no more papering over the cracks. In fact, we faced a similar situation following our previous tour of the Caribbean back in 2009..........the next four years turned out pretty nicely.

Bish

Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK

England paying the price for going into the test without a proper spinner. We would not have lost this test if Tredwell had played.

Yes, the selection of this team was wrong. Moores and the Skipper made a bad decision regarding the place of Trott and Ali. Both under performed and were not prepared for this series. Also yesterday the keeper missed an easy stumping at a crucial stage. Bairstow would not have missed that.I agree our best spinner is Tredwell. Stokes was not really used as a bowler, so I would have put Bairstow behind the stumps with Butler in as a batsman and played with Lyth and Tredwell. Empty headed management and captaincy yet again!
    Posted

Trott officially announces his retirement from test cricket. Been excellent for England over the 4-5 years but it was clear he was a shadow of the player he had been previously. Glad he did it on his own terms, it was needed.

Posted

Trott officially announces his retirement from test cricket. Been excellent for England over the 4-5 years but it was clear he was a shadow of the player he had been previously. Glad he did it on his own terms, it was needed.

Sad but he's been in decline for sometime. The stats if you look at them, they have been going down year on year since 2010.

Before the Aussies came over in 2013 and that when the decline became marked, he averaged 38.65 in 2012. Not bad but looking back at it, it wasn't a blip but part of a decline.

Another poor selection by the powers above. I'm not sure why they went back to Trott in the first place?

Edited by Weather-history
    Posted

So who opens versus NZ in a few weeks time?

Lyth would seem to be the likely choice, but in hindsight and all honesty he should have played the tests versus WI! There is a chance he could be picked but be in no form at all after hardly playing in the Caribbean and should Yorkshire suffer weather issues soon.

We really do need a long term opener alongside Cook! Compton, Root, Carberry and Robson have all averaged around 30 doing so.

Posted

I would suspect Lyth is the favourite, but Moores mentioned Sam Robson (not good enough YET imo) and James Taylor?! Of all people in his interview on answering who is the thought process. Personally, I'd give Hales a go. Great talent in the lad, just needs to yield it properly in the test form.

Posted

James Harris another example of tinkering. Eight years to the month after marking his 17th birthday with figures of seven for 66 for Glamorgan, James Harris shook off the shackles of overcoaching and took nine for 34 against Durham.

As he says

They had been trying to change things since I was very young, both in the programmes at Loughborough and bits and bobs, because you want to bowl at 90mph-plus and swing it round corners,†Harris said. “We probably found the half a yard we needed, but it was to the detriment of skill and moving it around. I don’t care if you bowl 100mph, if you don’t move it around you’re probably not going to be too successful.

I tried to be better, it didn’t work, simple as that, I had to bite the bullet and go back to what I knew.

Posted

Strauss appointed Director of cricket. Moores sacked/resigned within hours. Fantastic. We have some hope going forward. 

I actually think Strauss's stint outside the direct team/selection thought process and his time with the media, the com box will give him a better of what the English world/fans/media expect for the cricket team. Although not polar opposites, I expect to see at least SOME positive changes. Final nail on the coffin for KP thought after the combox incident?

Surely. NEVER rehire someone who failed and didn't get on with players before that are still in the setup now.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Moores shouldn't have been re-appointed in the first place. Strauss probably too negative appointment but time will tell.

Posted

KP passes his own best score for Surrey and goes to 300 - YES 300 not out with a 6. Talk about sending a message.

Posted

KP passes his own best score for Surrey and goes to 300 - YES 300 not out with a 6. Talk about sending a message.

Strauss though is now the head honcho...there's no way he'll pick KP, given their history....Strauss bares a grudge and I have little doubt that he'll put his grudge first before picking KP 

Posted

Strauss though is now the head honcho...there's no way he'll pick KP, given their history....Strauss bares a grudge and I have little doubt that he'll put his grudge first before picking KP 

Yep, bad appointment for KP, even if Moores is now out of his way. The old text message gate, followed by the com box comment has seen to that.

Posted

Well, maybe not. Sky Sports News reporting that he will meet with Strauss and ECB Chief Exec tonight ahead of selection tommorrow....seems Strauss may put the future of English cricket ahead of his own personal opinion. Cook will need to be at that meeting too should something like that go ahead.