Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Cricket - Summer Season 2015 and onwards

Well Cook will have a new opening partner in the UAE, Lyth has been dropped and no place for Ballance.

Has to be Hales I assume. I just don't think he's up to it technically, but hey, maybe it's time we got a lucky opener! If Steve Smith can get to number 1 in the world there's still a chance for me :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny to read comments of 'careless' and 'sloppy' when the aggressive style of play was called for on a number of occasions in the past when such positive match positions were wasted due to slow scori

Steve Finn has done the double, done vice captain and captain both innings. Voges out! 76-4 and still 69 behind,

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Posted Images

Sad to hear that Frank Tyson has died. He was the bowler that won England the Ashes in 1954-55 Down Under. I mentioned in the past that I have a miniature cricket bat signed by the MCC touring team to Australia in 1954-55. I think there is only Tom Graveney now alive from that team.

Sad to hear that Frank Tyson has died. He was the bowler that won England the Ashes in 1954-55 Down Under. I mentioned in the past that I have a miniature cricket bat signed by the MCC touring team to Australia in 1954-55. I think there is only Tom Graveney now alive from that team.

I remember an old Lancashire League player I knew who played for Farnworth telling me that before Frank cut his run down for England games from his start of run up to where the wicket keeper stood measured 70 yards ! Some players actually fainted in the pavilion after or before facing such a ferocious 100mph bowler . The batsmen had very little protection those days. When he released the ball both his feet left the deck with the front foot angled at 290 degrees. Sid also told me some players he knew still had lumps on there skulls for years later. They were glad he moved on to Northamptonshire away from league cricket to the county game. Only a short career at the top of his game but a legendary one with Brian Statham in tandum before the great Fred Trueman came on the scene.

Edited by carinthian
  • 2 weeks later...

Christ almighty, England get a wicket and its not out as its a front foot no ball.....when will England's bowlers ever learn?....broad needs a seriously big boot up his jacksy..........bell dropped a catch earlier, nothing new there :(

Pakistan 101/1

Edited by ajpoolshark

This is a dire test match wicket. Regardless of what part of the world you are in, there should be something left in it for ALL parties. When visiting sides come to England, there is ALWAYS something in it for the quick bowlers and you get value for shots as a batsmen. All any side is going to do when they turn up hear, is look down, bat first and win when it starts to spin later in the game. It really is attritional, dire stuff that the ICC should be looking at changing if they want to elongate and promote test cricket to a wider audience. 

If I was a floating fan watching this, I'd have turned off 5 hours ago and found something more entertaining.

It's going to be a very hard tour and one which will certainly test our indifferent batting. Looking likely that we'll be staring at a huge 1st innings total by Pakistan. From there it's a case of the best route to a draw, an equally huge 1st innings or having to follow on and eke it out for the full 20 wickets.

Anderson gets Misbah for 3, caught by Buttler - not sure how he over-turned it, but he did. Can only have been given out on noise and there being no obvious gap between bat and ball at the time of it passing the batsmen. 2 important wickets for England in this spell after tea. 

251/4. 

15 overs left in the day light/time pending - let's see if we can make it 5 or 6.

Jesus F'ing christ...Ian Bell! Drops another dolly in the penultimate over of the day. Get him out the slips - how many has he dropped recently. It's bullsuper duper now and it's costing us. Take 5 home with us and it's a 40/60 day to Pakistan..as it is...6 wickets needed, I can see them getting 450. I dare say Bell has just dropped any remaining hope we had of getting something out of this game, put pressure on his batting too.

Christ almighty, England get a wicket and its not out as its a front foot no ball.....when will England's bowlers ever learn?....broad needs a seriously big boot up his jacksy..........bell dropped a catch earlier, nothing new there :(

Pakistan 101/1

This is becoming too much of an issue both for England bowers and umpires ,who should have spotted it. They did in the old days.

This is becoming too much of an issue both for England bowers and umpires ,who should have spotted it. They did in the old days.

You have to be kidding. Gordon Rorke bowled from about 18 yards.

You have to be kidding. Gordon Rorke bowled from about 18 yards.

Different laws though back then, it was a back foot law which allowed bowlers to drag their front foot well beyond the crease

A pretty crap position England are in at the end of day one...pak to score 500+ plus and England's feeble middle order to contrive a way of losing by an innings, that's my prediction

Edited by ajpoolshark

Bell dropped catches smacks of a man short of confidence. He didn't have a good Ashes.

The spinners were poor as well.

Yes joking aside Bell should be moved out of close catching duties.I am sure his confidence has gone.It is becoming too costly.

I dislike these slow and lifeless wickets it does make watching for many hours too much of a challenge.

Painfully dull this is..492-4 Pakistan with tea just around the corner. We haven't given up and Cook's field settings have been decent, but we've offered zero threat and the spinners have looked like offering absolutely nothing. You can't expect much from Anderson and Co on this track. The Pakistan commentators are waffling on about how good the Pakistan top order is in the UAE - lol. If you bat even remotely competently on these tracks batting first..you could average 100. I'm fairly sure you could take a county side and play Australia on here and the county side would still get 500. 

It's just a shame score board pressure and the threat of absolutely no chance of winning this game will see England's middle order collapse.

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Yep, as I posted yesterday, England will lose by an innings, a mixture of scoreboard, alien conditions, & having a batting order loaded with players that cannot bat for long periods of time will see to that....I'll switch off from this game now and come back in 3days time to check...lol

I do though really feel for rashid though, what an absolute road for him to make his debut on...saying that though, if he's going to be effective in test cricket, he has to up his pace by a few mph as on flat tracks like this he could turn it by a mile and batsmen would STILL have time to play him easily off the pitch

After Pakistan declared at 523-8, notable mention to Stokes who took 4 wickets. Also the other seamers were economical as had even 2 of them gone for runs we'd have conceded over 600. Then Cook and Moeen negotiated the first hurdle which was to survive until the end of the day.

(cough) Bat all day for the next 2 days, score 650 and put Pak under pressure (cough)

• Like 1

(cough) Bat all day for the next 2 days, score 650 and put Pak under pressure (cough)

Well a great effort to begin that unlikely thought from 24 hours ago!

290-3 with Cook on 168* .

Well a great effort to begin that unlikely thought from 24 hours ago!

290-3 with Cook on 168* .

Yes although not a great advert for Test Cricket a real grind on these wickets.Still another good Captain's innings-made all the difference to our hopes of avoiding defeat.

Tough to watch all day though Andy,i tended to duck in and out between doing other things.

very pleased to see my prediction is as wrong as it normally is...lol......england haven't collapsed (yet) and Cook is the glue holding the innings together, so fingers crossed they can bat deep into tomorrow to get close to the Pakistan mammoth 1st innings