Local
Radar
Pollen

Cricket - Summer Season 2015 and onwards

J10

Posted

England had a solid top 5 batting order in the early 2010s

Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell.

There hasn't been a solid opening partnership since Strauss retired in 2012.

There hasn't been a solid number 3 bastmen since Trott difficulties late 2013.

• Like 1

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

What I couldn’t understand was how the Kiwi bowlers managed to get so much more swing. It looked like England didn’t either which is why the kept asking to change the ball.

Posted
  • Location: just behind Epsom Racecourse and the center of York
  • Location: just behind Epsom Racecourse and the center of York

Our problem is the openers are not dynamic. There job is to see off the new ball and in so doing soften the ball and disrupt the flow of the bowlers don't let them settle. If you play pitty pat cricket you achieve neither and when you get out the next man in faces a hard ball and bowlers nicely set in their curve. I would look for a new set of openers as a priority. Bring back Bairstow for a starters. 

Posted

I’ll tell you what has irked me this past week. Buttler, Woakes, Bairstow and Sam Curran all playing 20/20 for their counties!

They should have been playing the tests!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    On 14/06/2021 at 21:14, Andy Bown said:

I’ll tell you what has irked me this past week. Buttler, Woakes, Bairstow and Sam Curran all playing 20/20 for their counties!

They should have been playing the tests!

That's fair enough, Andy . . . But one thing (not just about cricket, I might add) that concerns me is: How come the things that upset English teams, don't seem to affect anyone else?  😁

• 4 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.

Liam Livingstone making his country proud.

COME ON ENGLAND!!! 

• Like 1

Posted
    17 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Liam Livingstone making his country proud.

COME ON ENGLAND!!! 

72 runs off 5 overs?

• Like 1

Posted
    Just now, Ed Stone said:

72 runs off 5 overs?

He's got 91 off 6.4 Overs so far. 

• Like 1

Posted

What a hundred from Liam Livingstone, fastest t20 Hundred ever for England then out... 

Oh no... 

• Like 1

Posted

Well, it was a whopping run chase?

• Like 1

Posted
    Just now, Ed Stone said:

Well, it was a whopping run chase?

Over now basically. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah, that's it... 

Whenever England make Records, we lose. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

anyone for a game of dumbed down poor mans baseball?

Posted
    1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

anyone for a game of dumbed down poor mans baseball?

Don't watch it then.

It's for the kids and it's on normal telly, so if it gets them interested, I'm all for it. 

We're listening on 5Live and dashing in to watch every now and then. More than happy to give it a chance.

• Like 2

Posted

Given cricket fans already have 5-Day, 4-Day, One-Day and T20 to choose from, does anyone know why we also need The Hundreds?

Posted
    41 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Given cricket fans already have 5-Day, 4-Day, One-Day and T20 to choose from, does anyone know why we also need The Hundreds?

I watched the start of the 1st. Jason Roy hit a 6, and a big "OH YEAH!", came up.on the screen. I turned over and haven't felt the need to watch since.

The whole tone of the coverage, is so over the top and I find it manufactured and trivial.

• Like 1

Posted
    48 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Because Sky have all the broadcast rights to those.

The only way that the ECB could get Cricket back on proper telly was to create a new competition.

Posted

This is not great news

_119666294_gettyimages-1255739107.jpg
    WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Ben Stokes "will take an indefinite break from all cricket with immediate effect" and has withdrawn from England's Test squad for the series against India.

Further other players have been questioning whether they will be on  the Ashes Tour 

_119578688_joe_root_getty.jpg
    WWW.BBC.CO.UK

England men's players will meet with the ECB as some consider pulling out of this winter's Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

• Like 1

Posted
    3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

This is not great news

_119666294_gettyimages-1255739107.jpg
    WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Ben Stokes "will take an indefinite break from all cricket with immediate effect" and has withdrawn from England's Test squad for the series against India.

Further other players have been questioning whether they will be on  the Ashes Tour 

_119578688_joe_root_getty.jpg
    WWW.BBC.CO.UK

England men's players will meet with the ECB as some consider pulling out of this winter's Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

I despair sometimes. Professional sportspeople are the luckiest people in the world. They get paid, often handsomely, for something they love doing, and many would do for free, if it wasn't their living. How would they have coped in the not so distant past when a tour to Australia lasted 4 months, and there were no families around? I must be getting past it all. Of course mental health is a very serious issue, I just feel that sometimes, some of these people don't appreciate just how fortunate they are, and what a great hand life has actually dealt them. Of course there's "pressure", but for the best, the greatest pressure should come from themselves, to be the best they can at whatever they do. If the pressure from outside is too much, then get out, many of them don't need to work again anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Snow & Warm lazy Summer Days
    On 30/07/2021 at 22:35, davehsug said:

I despair sometimes. Professional sportspeople are the luckiest people in the world. They get paid, often handsomely, for something they love doing, and many would do for free, if it wasn't their living. How would they have coped in the not so distant past when a tour to Australia lasted 4 months, and there were no families around? I must be getting past it all. Of course mental health is a very serious issue, I just feel that sometimes, some of these people don't appreciate just how fortunate they are, and what a great hand life has actually dealt them. Of course there's "pressure", but for the best, the greatest pressure should come from themselves, to be the best they can at whatever they do. If the pressure from outside is too much, then get out, many of them don't need to work again anyway.

I will start with WTF,

What a absolutely narrow minded, unsympathetic, clueless, patronizing post, because somebody is well paid they should just 'get on with it' oh and they have made a few quid anyway so don't need to work again, that makes it all ok? Money doesn't stop the demons in your head controlling your every thought and action, you clearly don't get 'mental health' as you glibly put it!

• Like 1

Posted
    6 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

I will start with WTF,

What a absolutely narrow minded, unsympathetic, clueless, patronizing post, because somebody is well paid they should just 'get on with it' oh and they have made a few quid anyway so don't need to work again, that makes it all ok? Money doesn't stop the demons in your head controlling your every thought and action, you clearly don't get 'mental health' as you glibly put it!

I wonder what Piers Morgan has got to say over this? He loves his cricket, he has interview Ben Stokes.

This has come after his pop at Simone Biles withdrawal from the Olympics gymnastics team

Posted
    8 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

I will start with WTF,

I know plenty about mental health thanks, I know that it's illogical, strikes for no identifiable reason and is devastating.  Ben Stokes has had a pretty rough time of it these past couple of years, and I'm not shocked it's taken it's toll. My reply was directed more to the players complaining about the Ashes tour. Cricket has given them everything and they should expect to give back sometimes.

Posted
    On 31/07/2021 at 07:52, davehsug said:

I know plenty about mental health thanks, I know that it's illogical, strikes for no identifiable reason and is devastating.  Ben Stokes has had a pretty rough time of it these past couple of years, and I'm not shocked it's taken it's toll. My reply was directed more to the players complaining about the Ashes tour. Cricket has given them everything and they should expect to give back sometimes.

I've had the pleasure to have watched many of the best players play, AB De Villiers, Morgan, Finch, Milne and Neesham to name a few and they each have thier own personalities but are all down to earth and recognise how lucky they are to play cricket. Having read many players autobiographies of course there are a few who don't recognise the luck, however there are many that recognise their luck, Stokes, Maxwell, Cook and Bairstow come to mind,it depends on their person if they recognise their luck but I think most of them do. 

• Like 2

Posted
    10 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

I've had the pleasure to have watched many of the best players play, AB De Villiers, Morgan, Finch, Milne and Neesham to name a few and they each have thier own personalities but are all down to earth and recognise how lucky they are to play cricket. Having read many players autobiographies of course there are a few who don't recognise the luck, however there are many that recognise their luck, Stokes, Maxwell, Cook and Bairstow come to mind,it depends on their person if they recognise their luck but I think most of them do. 

Well of course. I apologise if my rant has upset anyone, that was never my intentionand I was wrong to conlate the issue with the topic of mental health, which is very serious. I just get very annoyed by players complaining about their wokload, whilst signing up for 2 months in the IPL and all of the other worldwide tournaments. I know that compared to many sportsmen cricketers are poorly paid. It remains though that they mostly only get these money making chances because of their involvement in international cricket, and yet when the workload gets too much, they drop international cricket first. We've already had 3 second rate series this summer against Sri Lanka, New Zealand & Pakistan, because player were "resting or being rotated", although the Pakistan series was for other reasons too obviously. Without the best players, international cricket is becoming devalued. The ICC along with BCCI are wrecking the game in pursuit of money and I can see a time in the near future, when some countries ask to stop playing test cricket, because it's impossible to get their best team together for a meaningful series.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Snow & Warm lazy Summer Days
    On 31/07/2021 at 07:52, davehsug said:

Tbf DS i 'bit' last night some what unfairly, i do take exception to lack of understanding of mental health, but as you have posted that was not ure intention, so fair enough! I will agree that the work load for some cricketers is somewhat questionable but as individuals it is up them to manage this, but maybe some are more susceptible to the pressures that is placed upon them, i thought @Eagle Eye post was spot on!

• Like 1