Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Cricket - Summer Season 2015 and onwards

Posted
    12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

England needs proper Test openers

England needs a proper middle order, not made up of batsmen who are an all rounder effectively. (Stokes, Buttler, Baristow and when he was in the team Moeen), they need a player who is gritty and grind away and not a flash in the pan, quick 20 and out. That is not needed when you are trying to save a Test nor when the opposition has scored 500 in the first innings.

England need at least one proper spinner, they have dined on Moeen for too long.

England need a proper wicketkeeper, the thinking seems to be batting ability greater than wicketkeeping.

...and I think Root needs to question himself whether he should carry on as skipper. I think the last England skipper that was sacked was Pietersen.

The problem is that they aren't out there. You can argue over a couple of names, but these are the best we've got. We've been trying younger players and they've done no better. We're just not producing test batsmen.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny to read comments of 'careless' and 'sloppy' when the aggressive style of play was called for on a number of occasions in the past when such positive match positions were wasted due to slow scori

in all the doom and gloom for the aussies, there is one glimmer of hope....             ...in the form of a promising young batsman who top scored for them.....goes by the name of Extras .....l

Posted Images

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

What I don't get is why ECB allowed some Aussies to play in our county cricket just before an Ashes series?!

Peter Siddle has played for Essex

James Pattinson and Nottinghamshire

Marnus Labuschange and Glamorgan

Cameron Bancroft and Durham

Sorry but can you see the Aussie adminstrators allowing our bowlers in their Sheffield Series just before and Ashes series in their own backyard?

I've been complaining about this for years. Especially young batsmen coming into county cricket as a "finishing school". They should go back to the old rule of overseas players needing a minimum number of test caps.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Denley leading the runs 28 runs in two innings. Amazing effort.

Posted

Biggest partnership for England 38

Posted

Hurray England beat the first innings score 70 for 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
    3 hours ago, davehsug said:

I've been complaining about this for years. Especially young batsmen coming into county cricket as a "finishing school". They should go back to the old rule of overseas players needing a minimum number of test caps.

Not being funny but would that not have precluded Jofra Archer from ever playing county cricket, thus we would be a serious pace bowler light now as well as some decent openers and a decent spinner.

Posted
    1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Denley leading the runs 28 runs in two innings. Amazing effort.

That's bad news though, as Gough said, he is some bloke that just won a competition to play for England, so now because of Burns's 100 as well, we now have 2 inept top order players that will now be guaranteed a place for the next 3 years dining out on a couple of hours of occupying the crease, thus preventing anyone who does come through gaining a chance.

Posted
    30 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not being funny but would that not have precluded Jofra Archer from ever playing county cricket, thus we would be a serious pace bowler light now as well as some decent openers and a decent spinner.

I'm not sure, I think his commitment to play for England counts, as it did in the past for players like Hick.

• Like 1
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's bad news though, as Gough said, he is some bloke that just won a competition to play for England, so now because of Burns's 100 as well, we now have 2 inept top order players that will now be guaranteed a place for the next 3 years dining out on a couple of hours of occupying the crease, thus preventing anyone who does come through gaining a chance.

I was being sarcastic. He's still showing an inability to play test cricket having a slash at a few balls rather than being patient.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, davehsug said:

I'm not sure, I think his commitment to play for England counts, as it did in the past for players like Hick.

Ok - fair enough, i still think though that to blame aussies coming over here playing in county cricket though would be a poor excuse for not producing any openers. Sport (along with probably the health service) is one area that you cannot argue that generally people from far afield have massively benefited our country, i mean imagine if there were no foreigners in the Premier League now, You would have 1 world class striker, no world class midfielders and arguably one world class Centre half.

Posted

Blimey 100 for 2

Posted

Watching the football sxores right now and will be till close, apart from brief switchovers, im looking at the odds in the cricket and praying not to see a big swing towards aussies!

Posted

Root heads in danger zone as reaches fifty. Sadly he has a very poor conversation rate these days.

• Like 1
    Posted

Blimey are we playing test cricket and not slog and get out approach ??? Question is when one of these gets out can the rest follow the example.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Hmmm, is there a glimmer of hope that Eng. could do this after all ?
    I missed a huge chunk this afternoon enjoying the Eng v Ireland rugby.
    Pleased when I came back to see the score.

Posted
    8 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

I missed a huge chunk this afternoon enjoying the Eng v Ireland rugby.
    Pleased when I came back to see the score.

Odds now suggest its 65/35 % Australia -  i would still suggest its nearer to 85/15, once one gets out, the odds will collapse.

• Like 1
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Nope not a chance it's batting now for respect and not getting dropped by the selectors. Hopefully the selectors will drop Root as Captain as for the other batters and who could be Captain is another matter.

Posted

Denley out for 50. Did a test innings. Now expect the normal tumble of wickets to follow. We should take it into day four though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Don't know how but England have steadied the ship and made it to 156-3 trailing by 203 still a long shot, but they could yet win 

Posted

At long long last batsmen playing as if in a 5 day test match. One or two mistakes and a touch of luck now and then but overall IF only they had batted with the same determination in the 1st innings.

Posted
    6 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ok - fair enough, i still think though that to blame aussies coming over here playing in county cricket though would be a poor excuse for not producing any openers. Sport (along with probably the health service) is one area that you cannot argue that generally people from far afield have massively benefited our country, i mean imagine if there were no foreigners in the Premier League now, You would have 1 world class striker, no world class midfielders and arguably one world class Centre half.

It's not "the best" coming over I object to, all the counties used to have 2 oversees players, but they were the best players, Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Barry Richards, Richard Hadlee, Imran Khan etc. In those days, hardly any Aussies played county cricket. What I object to is the number of 18 & 19 year old Australians, who come to county cricker & play far more, of a higher standard than they ever could in Aussie grade cricket. I realise the very top players don't need the money from county cricket anymore, but even so, we shouldn't be helping Australia of all countries! Perhaps it's my age, but losing to India or the West Indies hurts, but losing to Australia REALLY hurts.

Anyhoo, a much improved performance today, the pitch is easier and the weather helps, but you just know a collapse is imminent at some stage tomorrow. Prove me wrong England!

Edited by davehsug
    • Like 1
    Posted
    11 hours ago, davehsug said:

It's not "the best" coming over I object to, all the counties used to have 2 oversees players, but they were the best players, Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Barry Richards, Richard Hadlee, Imran Khan etc. In those days, hardly any Aussies played county cricket. What I object to is the number of 18 & 19 year old Australians, who come to county cricker & play far more, of a higher standard than they ever could in Aussie grade cricket. I realise the very top players don't need the money from county cricket anymore, but even so, we shouldn't be helping Australia of all countries! Perhaps it's my age, but losing to India or the West Indies hurts, but losing to Australia REALLY hurts.

Anyhoo, a much improved performance today, the pitch is easier and the weather helps, but you just know a collapse is imminent at some stage tomorrow. Prove me wrong England!

True - grew up watching Allan Donald in the County Championship every day, fastest bowler i have ever seen actually at the ground, along with Waqar Younis. Still think county cricket is a better standard these days overall, because the English players are better, but the overseas players, particularly the continuity and commitment and longjevity of them was better then.

Posted

Root gives his wicket away charging down the wicket. All the good work gone in a second of idiot thinking.

Posted

MMMmmm Bairstow needs to be careful