Jump to content
J10

Cricket - Summer Season 2015 and onwards

Recommended Posts

Yes I know you hate him be he's not the sole reason for failure. It's a team game and others haven't pulled their weight.

Andersons previous tours he's been poor, Broad has been as well so pointing the finger at one player is narrow sighted. They'll be others.

The finger should be pointed at the selectors as well as picking players out of form isn't the best policy.

It's doesn't help a player when he know people are just waiting to jump on his back as well. Moheen certainly is a confidence player and needs dropping ideally we would have Rasid as an alternative but he must have done something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2017 at 08:39, The PIT said:

Yes I know you hate him be he's not the sole reason for failure. It's a team game and others haven't pulled their weight.

.

I don't hate him and already said others have not pulled their weight. Do you have a poster of Moeen Ali over you bed headboard at night? Watches over when you are asleep? You seem to be overly defensive when it comes to criticism of Moeen.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I don't hate him and already said others have not pulled their weight. Do you have a poster of Moeen Ali over you bed headboard at night? Watches over when you are asleep? You seem to be overly defensive when it comes to criticism of Moeen.

 

Nope just people like to pile into him whenever they can. It's like when you go to football matches and some fans hate one single player and it doesn't matter what that players does he will never get credit. If he plays a blinder they'll either go quiet or point out the one time he failed to control a ball from a throw in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

Nope just people like to pile into him whenever they can. It's like when you go to football matches and some fans hate one single player and it doesn't matter what that players does he will never get credit. If he plays a blinder they'll either go quiet or point out the one time he failed to control a ball from a throw in.

go on Pit, admit it, you've got a 'thing' for Mo haven't you?....lol........just kidding, but you keep on banging on about Moeen haters on here....none, me included, are 'Moeen haters'.....we've criticised where warranted, and praised where warranted, and if you disbelieve that then I'm more than happy to post up all Moeen related comments over the past 12-18 months in here so you can see for yourself..........personally I wouldn't drop Moeen for the 5th test, I;d play both him and Crane and drop one of the seamers.........The big problem Mo has faced (and not his fault) i that because of Stokes's faux pas, Mo has been thrust into the role of premiere all-rounder i.e frontline batsman and bowler, and he's understandibly struggled....He works far better as a 2nd all-rounder/spinner as he can play his natural way......No one's doubting Mo's talent, rather the selectors are to blame for forcing him into a role that just isn't 'him'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange selection two spinners for a green wicket. Surprised that Moheen then has been retained. Mason Crane may have to watch the ball disappear to the boundary regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ajpoolshark said:

go on Pit, admit it, you've got a 'thing' for Mo haven't you?....lol........just kidding, but you keep on banging on about Moeen haters on here....none, me included, are 'Moeen haters'.....we've criticised where warranted, and praised where warranted, and if you disbelieve that then I'm more than happy to post up all Moeen related comments over the past 12-18 months in here so you can see for yourself..........personally I wouldn't drop Moeen for the 5th test, I;d play both him and Crane and drop one of the seamers.........The big problem Mo has faced (and not his fault) i that because of Stokes's faux pas, Mo has been thrust into the role of premiere all-rounder i.e frontline batsman and bowler, and he's understandibly struggled....He works far better as a 2nd all-rounder/spinner as he can play his natural way......No one's doubting Mo's talent, rather the selectors are to blame for forcing him into a role that just isn't 'him'

Sadly some haven't and just laid into him. Listened to Graham Swan when Cook was Captain and he was very critical of Cooks field placements as they invited Mo to be easily hit with little chance of being caught with the following lack of confidence effecting his bowling.

Anyway I see you've got your wish. Two spinners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The PIT said:

Sadly some haven't and just laid into him. Listened to Graham Swan when Cook was Captain and he was very critical of Cooks field placements as they invited Mo to be easily hit with little chance of being caught with the following lack of confidence effecting his bowling.

Anyway I see you've got your wish. Two spinners.

Swann's a leg-end in his own mind.....a fine off spinner but complete cockwomble of a person, completely stuck up his own backside...........I just think the team selection for this winter has caused the issues, not just for Moeen but for the team in general and nowt to do with field placements.............Nice to see they're playing 2 spinners in Sydney, an offie and leggie, might just give Mo the confidence he needs being part of a spin-twin attack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Swann's a leg-end in his own mind.....a fine off spinner but complete cockwomble of a person, completely stuck up his own backside...........I just think the team selection for this winter has caused the issues, not just for Moeen but for the team in general and nowt to do with field placements.............Nice to see they're playing 2 spinners in Sydney, an offie and leggie, might just give Mo the confidence he needs being part of a spin-twin attack

Aussies don't seem to think it'll spin much by the sounds of it as they're going with only one.

It's true people that play the sport don't always know what they're taking about but I tend to give them a little credit as they bare likely to know more about it than people who haven't played. I think he's right that Mo worries about being hit. Now really gifted great players like old Warnie didn't mind being hit because he knew it increased his chances of getting them out.

Funniest argument I ever had with a bloke was over Montgommery who used to play for Shef United.You couldn't mark down his work rate it was 200% but his biggest flaw was that he couldn't control a ball. A basic requirement for a pro. The guy tried to win the argument by saying "Look have you played the game he's there to break up the attacks" My answer to that was "No but whats the point of breaking up an attack when you give the ball straight back even when you're not under pressure" which is what he did. He broke probably 60% of our attacks up and possible briefly paused the oppositions by one or two passes. The guy had no answer to that. I once watched him trying to do keep ups a half time with his team mates. He couldn't even do one which summed it up. Despite the lack of skill he did occasionally have run of good games which I acknowledged. 

Anyway totally off topic so sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Root once again gets out not converting his 50 to a 100 and even worse just before the end of play! :wallbash:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England, quite frankly are abysmal...rudderless and poorly led by Root whose tactical knowledge makes Cook look like Gary Kasporov in comparison........well on the way to the inevitable innings defeat against an average opposition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor bowling following poor batting can we quit now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At present I can only find one positive from the series, Craig Overton!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what  a shambles.....nuff said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2018 at 11:32, Andy Bown said:

At present I can only find one positive from the series, Craig Overton!

Dawid Malan, some promising signs there. 

Jimmy Anderson despite being 35 has bowled superb under unfavourable conditions for him. No reason for him to retire at the end of this tour. He's probably bowling better now than he ever was under these type of conditions.In previous massacres Down Under, he was leaking runs but on this tour he had far more control. Trouble is he got little support from anyone else.

My points for this tour

Anderson: 7

Malan: 6

Bairstow: 5

Cook: 5

Root: 5

Overton: 5

Broad: 4

Stoneman: 4

Vince: 3

Crane: 3

Curran: 3

Woakes: 2

Ball: 2

Ali: 1

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Moeen fails again....  175 runs in 9 innings, and 5 wickets at an average of 115, and with Stokes out, he's our premier all rounder....god help us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ajpoolshark said:

 Moeen fails again....  175 runs in 9 innings, and 5 wickets at an average of 115, and with Stokes out, he's our premier all rounder....god help us

Apart from his batting in India (we still lost 4-0) and his bowling in Bangladesh (we could only draw that series),  Moeen Ali has been a passenger on most tours.  I wouldn't pick him for Sri Lanka later this year. 

56 wickets at 48.88 abroad is not good enough for a so-called main spinner.

Edited by Weather-history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 11:32, Andy Bown said:

At present I can only find one positive from the series, Craig Overton!

Malan's had a strong tour, given his relative lack of experience and what's been going on at the other end while he's batting. I'd also argue he got stronger as the tour went on.

Root also. He failed to convert any 50's into genuine game-changing knocks, which is bad, but at the same time he's clearly batting well. What he's struggling with is breaks in concentration and getting out. That should be a relatively easy thing to resolve with the right help.

Actually, the same could be said of Vince and Stoneman. Both of them showed that they can bat, but both were far too prone to throwing away a start. For me, that's indicative of a weakness in their mental game - especially in Vince's case. England could maybe look to shake loose some £ to bring in a mental coach to help them a) concentrate for longer, and b) minimise the duration and impact of periods of concentration loss.

 

On 1/7/2018 at 12:37, Weather-history said:

Dawid Malan, some promising signs there. 

Jimmy Anderson despite being 35 has bowled superb under unfavourable conditions for him. No reason for him to retire at the end of this tour. He's probably bowling better now than he ever was under these type of conditions.In previous massacres Down Under, he was leaking runs but on this tour he had far more control. Trouble is he got little support from anyone else.

Anderson's bowling better now than before only in terms of being able to hit that nagging line and length so consistently that he's tying batsmen down. He's lost a bit of X factor, though: his effort balls just aren't what they were in the past. That's not a problem as such, as long as there's someone at the other end who does have the X factor to take advantage of Anderson tying up an end. I don't think England had that for this series, though. Moeen was a) prevented from bowling to his best by injury for pretty much the whole series, and b) woefully out of form anyway. Broad and the other quicks didn't offer anything particularly new either, which left you with a same-same attack for the entire series.

My gut feel is that this touring side, despite losing 4-0, did far, far better than the previous side to tour Australia. This one kept fighting to the end (despite lacking the tools to be effective), unlike the previous which collapsed in a heap. And I'd also say that despite losing those 4 tests relatively easily, those losses weren't as emphatic as the ones from the previous series down under. England at least managed to win some sessions, even full days, during this tour. Last time around they got blown away. So there's some positives to be taken away and worked on, even if it's a pretty dismal result.

 

[Disclosure: I'm an Aussie by birth and upbringing.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England's remarkable improvement in ODIs had continued, breaking records galore in beating Australia by 5 wickets in Melbourne!

Jason Roy scored 180 to beat Alex Hales top score record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×