J10

Cricket - Summer Season 2015 and onwards

2,009 posts in this topic

A new thread for a new cricket season.

I thought the end of the World Cup is a good a cut off as would be available.

Edited by J10

A new thread for a new cricket season.

I thought the end of the World is a good a cut off as would be available.

I think the 'end of the world' would be a good cut off for most things....lol

I think the 'end of the world' would be a good cut off for most things....lol

Edited now :rofl:

(Although it could be argued in terms of the World applies to the England performance there. (sadly))

Edited by J10
1 person likes this

LOL to AJ!

2 weeks until the 1st test in the Caribbean! Excellent playing times for UK viewers and listeners, 15.00-22.00 .

Australia have announced their touring aquad for this summer's Ashes series. 

Clarke ©, Warner, Smith, Rogers, Watson,  S Marsh, M Marsh, Haddin, Nevill, Voges, Siddle, Johnson, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon, Ahmed, Harris. 

Couple of unknowns there, but a fairly familiar side. Trying to think who is missing? Hussey? Pattinson? Bailey? Maxwell?

Australia have announced their touring aquad for this summer's Ashes series. 

Clarke ©, Warner, Smith, Rogers, Watson,  S Marsh, M Marsh, Haddin, Nevill, Voges, Siddle, Johnson, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon, Ahmed, Harris. 

Couple of unknowns there, but a fairly familiar side. Trying to think who is missing? Hussey? Pattinson? Bailey? Maxwell?

Hussey? I thought he has retired? His brother David is too old now.

What happened to Ashton Agar? He seems to have vanished.

James Faulkner, Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, Usman Khawaja, Matthew Wade toured 2 years ago are not in this squad.

The Aussies haven't won in England since 2001 and I fear the Aussies are going to win comfortably.

I think Leicestershire have more chance of winning a County Championship game than England winning a test against Australia

The Aussies low period didn't last that long and wasn't that deep compared to England's worst period. They have in a space of a couple of years have gone from laughing stock (remember the Mickey Arthur debacle?) to hammering England and winning a World Cup.

I feared back then when Darren Lehmann was announced to be coach, we would see a transformation in the Aussie cricket fortunes.

I think the Aussies will win 3-0, Cook will resign/sacked, Moores will be gone at the end of the Ashes.

I don't see Pietersen being brought back as some kind of saviour if it goes awry after the first two Tests.

I think the Bell/Anderson/Broad era will be drawing to a close. I don't think Matt Prior will be back.

1 person likes this

I am very surprised that Faulkner and in particular Maxwell have been omitted from the whole test squad, the'll be a shoe in for the ODIs/T20s of course.

Just another point of note, there are some 'aging' players in that squad who are in the prime of their careers and can we hope for their powers to begin to wane (Rogers, Voges, Clarke, Harris) ?

Yes my predictions for the year are..

England to win in the Windies, probably 2-0. 

England to draw or lose the NZ series by the odd test or perhaps a 0-0. 

The Aussies are going to come over and demolish us 4-0. The 5th test being the draw when the Aussies are cruising.

England to draw in the UAE... 

England to beat South Africa by the odd test, the win coming in the final match of the series. 

Anderson and Bell to announce retirement or be axed. Cook to no longer be involved in the test squad and Moores to be sacked. 

KP won't play for England again. Someone like Hussain to take over as the new coach.

eng to lose in the west indies, and against NZ.....Cook is sacked, Mike Brearley comes out of retirement aged 75, and recalls KP.....England to go on and thrash the Aussies 5-0 (just to show Glen McGrath that I can make even worse predictions than him) with KP scoring a double ton at Lords using Geoff Boycott's mum's stick of rhubarb.....England tour of SA cancelled following Mugeba's invasion of SA, but instead Eng beat the New Greater Republic of Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Anderson & Broad are forced to retire after their combined ego becomes a sentient being who takes 16 wickets on debut, and Paul Downton is portrayed as so ridiculously dense with his asinine comments in the media that light starts to bend around him and he disappears within his own event horizon.

No, I'm not on drugs, but on watching Eng in the world cup, I wish I had been  :crazy:

1 person likes this

I think England will back the Ashes.. Our batting (England) aint that special. But looking at Australias  its nothing great either.. You can go on about Steve Smith.. But  he batted on some  very good wickets in Australia. They were so good for batting. India  scored   450/.500 on occasion..

England will bowl more off an off stump line to him anyway.

I think the test series will come down who will score more runs.I just fancy England in that.

Anyhow, could someone  please keep an update of the weather in the west-indies? I try some sites and they have differing opinions and not very reliable.. :D

Paul Downton has quit as MD of the ECB......apparently he never seen anyone as disenfranchised with the ECB setup as himself

Thank god, toodlepip to the pompous prick.

Richie Benaud has died, aged 84. Was battling skin cancer in the last few years. Proper gent, thoroughly recognisable voice on the com box for many, many years.

Jones....Bowden....Out!

Who could ever forget those words.

'What an innings'

RIP.

Brilliant cricketer, captain and commentator.

I can still hear "it's gone straight into the confectionery stall and out again" when Ian Botham hit that 6 at Headingley 1981.

RIP Richie

Edited by Weather-history

Ian Botham's 118 at Old Trafford in 1981 and Richie Benaud's memorable commentary

The voice of cricket in my youth. :(

Loved Richie. A great commentator and reader of the game. Always unbiased in what ever match he was viewing. His knowledge and wise old head will be unmatched. Born into a cricketing family, learned his skills from playing against clever teams and players in up state leagues and captaincy skills in the hard school of Sheffield State cricket. This country boy turned out to be a good all rounder cricketer and a true hero of the game. Will be missed by many cricket fans.

C

The Benaud family have been offered a state funeral for Richie. Ultimately deserved if they accept. Could not give the man much more of a honour in his passing

so sad to hear of the passing of Richie....an absolute legend & gent

my favourite bit of commentary was back in 2002 and Srinath bowled one beauty which caught Thorpe in the nether regions....."Oh Dear, that's caused him a problem........................or two"....priceless!  :laugh:

Very sad news about Richie.

May he RIP.

Very sad to hear. Cricket is poorer without his presence.

It's funny how some things stick in your mind. I remember England's second innings at Old Trafford in 1961 when we were cruising to victory with Dexter in full flow. On came Richie bowling around the wicket and we collapsed. And there has never been a better slip fielder than Simpson.

Edited by knocker
1 person likes this