Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

But that's the thing - there is no switch. The weather doesn't change as soon as a new calendar month occurs. Warm weather in the first half of September isn't out of season because the first half of September is warm anyway. Ditto with the first half of March being cold.

It's easy for stat collecting purposes to have each season set in certain chronological periods, but in reality it never works like that. That's why saying summer is nearly over when we have well a month at least of potentially warm weather to enjoy makes no sense.

Summer is nearly over though, there's 24 days left. If its warm at the start of September then it's just warm weather to start Autumn (or summer-like as mentioned above). Of course the first half of September is quite warm on average, but it doesn't change the fact its still Autumn. The same could be said if you get temps in the mid-teens in the last week of August, its Autumn-like, but still summer as far as the season goes.

Autumn and Spring are transitional months, the weather doesn't just abruptly change on the 1st March / 1st September, but regardless at that point winter/summer are over.

• Like 2

Posted

Who want to have a barbecue in the first place? ;-)

I like 'em. Like to sit outside and eat in different surroundings than indoors. Also I love burgers, sausages and all that good stuff. And cool refreshing cider (or another drink of your choice) out of doors on a warm balmy evening.

• Like 1

Posted

Much much better day

some sun and bubbly cloud, typical of a Lake District summers day, calm and humid with temps reaching an average 19c. Warm enough to sit out and a nice sunny afternoon and evening. 

An average sunnyish day is really pleasant at this time of the year, shame this summer has had such a lack of them in these parts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Perfect BBQ evening here, still a pleasant 22C at 10pm which hasn't happened for quite a while. OH cooked another BBQ supper and had prosecco with it, not much beats nights like that being able to enjoy great food outside on a warm evening. Looks like here will be good for the next few evenings too, at last!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Had a BBQ myself. Lovely breeze.

Did get too hot early to mid afternoon though.

Summer is nearly over though, there's 24 days left. If its warm at the start of September then it's just warm weather to start Autumn (or summer-like as mentioned above). Of course the first half of September is quite warm on average, but it doesn't change the fact its still Autumn. The same could be said if you get temps in the mid-teens in the last week of August, its Autumn-like, but still summer as far as the season goes.

Autumn and Spring are transitional months, the weather doesn't just abruptly change on the 1st March / 1st September, but regardless at that point winter/summer are over.

Hope you're right reef, dying for some autumnal weather now, looks like it's going to be a long wait, October is when we'll see some proper cool weather, charts look very slack and summery, everytime an atlantic low is forecast by the charts it stalls over iceland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Housebound through work today so I couldn't make the most of the pleasant weather! Would have been perfect for the beer garden too..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beebs week ahead forecast shows a right old mix later next week with low pressure to the south west and north west and in between high pressure

34535643.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Regardless of meteorological definitions, my point is that the potential for very warm weather is far from over - and it doesn't begin to feel truly autumnal until the back end of September usually. Admittedly the days are shorter, but September is, by and large, very nice, and similar to June in terms of temperature - so even though 'meteorological summer' is nearly over, that doesn't matter - because the weather should still be nice.

We have a long while before we enter the miserable part of the year..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Still feeling very much like Summer here. Felt very hot in the Sun today, as it has the last few days. It is however very dark at just gone 10pm, Autumn is rapidly approaching now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still feeling very much like Summer here. Felt very hot in the Sun today, as it has the last few days. It is however very dark at just gone 10pm, Autumn is rapidly approaching now.

So is next summer.

• Like 6

Posted

We have a long while before we enter the miserable part of the year..

indeed.   i would class the misery months as december, january and febuary,  not to keen on november either as you know what lies ahead,  things reverse , the summer haters are always on edge in summer in case any humid stifling heat is pulled in on a plume,  likewise I am on edge in winter in case any bitter frigid air is pulled in from the east and stagnates over us, both tend to fail though apart from the odd occasions  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Thankyou Thunderbolt, that was beautiful! It has been such an amazing summer day today, hopefully lots more to come :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Come on guys, "miserable season" this, "depressing season" that...just enjoy the summer, will you! :)

I'm trying, but people keep on saying summer is nearly over! :sorry:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

So is next summer.

Or Winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I never understand this either, the whole idea that Summer is over as soon as the days start receding. It was the 10th August 2003 when the record was set, we haven't even reached that date yet. And then there is October 2011 as well.

I'm not a huge Summer fan but I realise full well that the season is far from over!

oh that old chestnut..

it depends upon what 'summer' means to you.  weather wise it is often warmer in august and september then june/ or even july.

but summer isnt only about the weather or temps. day length, sun height, are two obvious examples, but nature itself is changing. the swifts have all but gone now, screaming swifts overhead typifies a summer skyscape especially against a long daylength. here we are on aug 9th.... plants are now slowing up, looking tatty, and prone speciese are even starting to bronze off.

if we had a raging atlantic low feeding us cool pm air with rain/showers, as did the other week, its decidedly autumnal.

the anglo saxons had the right way of defining the seasons imho, summer started around may 10, autumn august 10, winter nov 10, spring feb 10.... (hence midsummers day = june 24th not august 7th). personally i prefer that definition of the seasons.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

To me, as we head into mid-August, summer typically is in its final throes. Yes, we get exceptions like 2003, but generally speaking Autumn is not far away. Mornings can have a slight chill, like mushy said plants are past their aesthetic best and the evenings are getting increasingly dark.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The garden is still looking at its best here, despite the familiar countryside scenes typical of late summer. Harvesting, ploughing etc.

It really has been a great last 7 days here. The only daytime rain came from a brief shower on Tuesday evening. Apart from that its been consistently warm with plenty of sunshine.

Posted

oh that old chestnut..

it depends upon what 'summer' means to you. weather wise it is often warmer in august and september then june/ or even july.

but summer isnt only about the weather or temps. day length, sun height, are two obvious examples, but nature itself is changing. the swifts have all but gone now, screaming swifts overhead typifies a summer skyscape especially against a long daylength. here we are on aug 9th.... plants are now slowing up, looking tatty, and prone speciese are even starting to bronze off.

if we had a raging atlantic low feeding us cool pm air with rain/showers, as did the other week, its decidedly autumnal.

the anglo saxons had the right way of defining the seasons imho, summer started around may 10, autumn august 10, winter nov 10, spring feb 10.... (hence midsummers day = june 24th not august 7th). personally i prefer that definition of the seasons.

Personally I think the Anglo-Saxon definition is pretty rubbish. Spring on February 10th? February is one of three months of the year that can be sub-zero overall. Surely this suffices as a good enough definition of Winter (DJF), from which the remaiming seasons can be defined (the following three months Spring, then Summer, then Autumn).

The other point is that the UK recorded its (joint) lowest temperature ever on 11th February 1895, and its hottest on 10th August 2003. By the Anglo-Saxon definition, that puts these records in Spring and Autumn respectively! Not a great definition if you ask me, notwithstanding day lengths.

Anyway, before I continue to bang on too much I'll try and stay on topic.

Another very summery day here. Hot sunshine, cloudless blue skies and a light breeze in the air. The BBQ will be lit tonight!

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

As Summer peters out and those that say it was a UK wide lovely summer...well...JH I'll post the jma

monthlies for June July and now Aug....they present the facts ...Frosty you look for the best I don't knock you but this summer is looking normal...not like some predicted in early July as rinse repeat an temps hitting high 29 30....hasn't happened never mind

A nothing summer, what part of London do you live in the Arctic par or did you live in the Carabian or Gobi desert

Rainfall far below normal, most grass looking brown, sure sign of warm summer and no rain.

Now if you lived in NW UK or Scotland then you have a right to moan.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Not in the spirit of these forums but never mind.

OK you have a fair point, please prove why this is a nothing summer, esp as you live in London.

Also John Holmes has already asked you prove that the south east has had a nothing summer.

We await with interest, as rainfall has been well below average and temps have been well above average.

Posted

The last vageries of 'high summer' are upon us now as we gradually slip towards late summer. The outlook remains mixed for all, and for the NW very much more of the same, with time fast moving on even if we do see a late summer lengthy warm settled spell; the summer as a whole will only go down as a very average one for many I suspect. For the SE perhaps better to describe as none too bad, but certainly nothing special... for the NW probably 'below par' best way to describe things but not terrible (at least in terms of rainfall, though temps admittedly have been very poor).

My interest in the weather traditionally reaches its slumber point as we move through latter part of August and reaches its absolute low point around the middle of September.. mainly because the expectation and high hope of early-mid summer becomes a distant memory, but likewise the expectation and hope of proper autumnal weather can never manifest itself properly until later in September. I find it a trying period in this respect. Mid March also carries a similar feel but not to the same extent, as we can see some interesting topsy turvy weather then from one extreme to another, something that can't really be said for early-mid September, though yes we can still achieve very high maxima low 30's even in some spots, but no real cold weather to counter balance things.

Just thought I'd share some ruminations..

• Like 2