Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

Yet the CET isn't that much below average, and will most likely end up around average. Have we just become accustomed to warmer months?

Nothing like average here, it's cold. Big improvement on the last few days though, temp has hit 15C!!!!!!! Still cloudy and windy though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nothing like average here, it's cold. Big improvement on the last few days though, temp has hit 15C!!!!!!! Still cloudy and windy though!

Isn't 15c a heatwave for you lot up there? :D

To be honest, temperatures have been reasonable the past couple of weeks down here. But the nights in general have been chilly, aside from that sticky one on Wednesday night. On the whole it's been fairly pleasant by day, particularly the last few days.

Posted

Oh what a surprise, cloudy, cold & with a moderate North Westerly wind blowing, just to remind you!

And just noticed that the BBC weather page says wind 7mph when it's clearly twice that & more in gusts.

Edited by davehsug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm sure it's happened before...1972, '74, '77, '79, '80, '81, '83, '85, '88, and many others since, have also provided us with some pretty dreadful weather? Yes, it could be better, but (thinking of 2012) it could also be worse! :D

Posted

the last 3 out of  6 Junes have been pretty good.. 2009/2010/ and 2013.. It wasn't great last year. But was  good in other parts of the UK..

13/14c   in this part of the country again is  laughable though. you'd expect the odd  18c/19c .. But been   several degrees below that of late. everytime the wind dropped its been warm.It was light this morning first thing.

Dunno what the rest of the summer holds..still 11 weeks to go, the first 2 weeks of September at least  can be classed as summer. Even though its officially Autumn by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
post-3489-0-67978400-1434730722_thumb.giEl Nino is in full swing presently, more pronounced that 09/10. 85% chance of lasting into winter 15/16 and look what winter 09/10 turned out to be in the British Isles, but that's a different story. The N. Atlantic anomaly is in the cold zone and expansive so far this summer, not good for NW Europe. However, the Iberian Peninsula looks set for prolonged heat and drought. Across in North America, a reverse in fortunes with summer, the normally maritime prevailing weather in the NW States and British Columbia has reversed to dry and prolonged sunshine type with cooler than normal temps further south.
  • Like 1

Posted

Yet the CET isn't that much below average, and will most likely end up around average. Have we just become accustomed to warmer months?

NO the maximum has been consistently 3 or 4 degrees below here for most of the this month and may was the same,  13c to 16c seems to be the default maximum apart from the odd days that its been 20c but they are exeptions to the rule , RIDICULOUS for mid summer,     Stop making excuses for our dire weather of late,   TO HELL WITH THE CET, it not relevant here, the only reason some months have had above average is due to overnight minimums,  we rarely get those high maximums in the summer anymore,  cant remember the last 30c here, must have been 2006  , getting anywhere near 20c this year is a very hard ask, 

• Like 2

Posted

Eh, we very rarely get 30c in uk  that often.Even  during the excellent July of 2013.. we didn't quite make  30c in the north. though we had plenty of days above 25c.  

Aslong as the air mass  comes from the Northwest and the wind is strong. It doesn't matter what time of year it. Its just not going to be warm.

We all want a huge high from the south.. but its never guaranteed in this country..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I'm sure it's happened before...1972, '74, '77, '79, '80, '81, '83, '85, '88, and many others since, have also provided us with some pretty dreadful weather? Yes, it could be better, but (thinking of 2012) it could also be worse! :D

No doubt we have had worse, I do remember some of those 80's Junes being pretty cool and wet. More than made up for though then, by some massive thunderstorms, including ones that gave daytime darkness, flooding and tons of lightning! Live in hope we see some of that this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Poor start to summer here, very cloudy and windy with max temps around 11/12/13c has been the norm, we've had two warm days all year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No doubt we have had worse, I do remember some of those 80's Junes being pretty cool and wet. More than made up for though then, by some massive thunderstorms, including ones that gave daytime darkness, flooding and tons of lightning! Live in hope we see some of that this summer.

I agree, SB: some of those Junes/Julys did produce some fantastic storms...That is what I mean - don't give-up yet??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Poor start to summer here, very cloudy and windy with max temps around 11/12/13c has been the norm, we've had two warm days all year.

yeah, I bet that's not much better than a winter day Dec to Feb, at just 58m asl

Posted
Dire sunshine levels this week and getting worse with each day. These have been the totals here this week: 4.9, 4.1, 2.5, 0.7, 0.1. No hope of any improvement as, just like last June, there is an endless conveyor belt of cloud that will only get switched off when the wind moves from the NW. So this depressing overcast is going nowhere soon :wallbash: 

I am now confident this vile month will produce the dullest week of the year so far. All that needs to happen is for the catastrophe of a weekend coming up to have less than 2.7 hours sun and this years record low total of 15.0hrs (5th-11th Jan) will be beaten. It's another awful June that will further extend the record breaking run, without reaching 200hrs sun, to 12 consecutive Junes.

Absolutely disgusting. I can't remember any instances prior to 2005 where this putrid overcast stuck about like a bad smell day after day for a week or more with stupidly cold daytime temperatures. Not even in terrible summers like 1993 and 1998. Late July 2005 was about the first time.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just a little digging reveals the very early 1900's there were several shockingly cool Junes and the years between 1977 and 1991 had hardly any Junes to cheer about.I guess we have been treated well in the last 20+ years with descent or good junes when historically June is on average cooler than we think.One Interesting thought though and I will have to do more digging but junes I remember in the 70's, 80's and  90's I was always amazed that most years the last week of june gave generally good weather as we used to start haymaking like clockwork with only few exceptions!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

NO the maximum has been consistently 3 or 4 degrees below here for most of the this month and may was the same,  13c to 16c seems to be the default maximum apart from the odd days that its been 20c but they are exeptions to the rule , RIDICULOUS for mid summer,     Stop making excuses for our dire weather of late,   TO HELL WITH THE CET, it not relevant here, the only reason some months have had above average is due to overnight minimums,  we rarely get those high maximums in the summer anymore,  cant remember the last 30c here, must have been 2006  , getting anywhere near 20c this year is a very hard ask, 

Jesus, sorry! I don't make the weather :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

This to me is basically a bog standard average summer really so far. We're all moaning about this year's summer when 2007 and 2012 were much worse. 2007 and 2012 had constant deluges and flooding. At least we haven't had that yet.

Not quite,you are blessed with warmer climes in the south,it certainly hasn't been normal here and am sure for those living in Aberdeen it has been much worse .We have had 1 day above 20 deg,am sure you have had a couple of weeks  whereas 2007 was a much warmer month all be it very much wetter.2012 was cool and wet but not as cool as we are having!

Posted

For the CET, it is actually currently the minimum that has the greater negative anomaly so far this month

CET maximum anomaly: -0.3

CET minimum anomaly: -0.8

Manchester has recorded 5 days of 20C+ or above this month so far. In 1991, it didn't record a single 20C.

The nights have been cool so far.

• Like 1

Posted

This to me is basically a bog standard average summer really so far. We're all moaning about this year's summer when 2007 and 2012 were much worse. 2007 and 2012 had constant deluges and flooding. At least we haven't had that yet.

How can be bog standard for many when the cet is running below average, and locally substantially below, hardly any summer storms,,, yes, little rain but in the form of drizzle from a repentant and cold north west wind that been there for several weeks, bar a few days last week from the faux plume.  not bog standard here, but SUB standard  :nea:

Posted

I like it when people have the time to find the statistics to show its not as bad as it actually feels, altough its still poor summer ,  anyway going to turn the heating down now my nose is not numb anymore 

• Like 1

Very dry summer here so far and starting to become increasingly humid, next week after Monday looks very decent with a potential very warm period with lows stalling to our west pumping up humid air, properly cool and wet June's seem to be a thing of the past for the midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wall to wall sunshine for the last 2 days here in Cornwall now. Stunning and warm with generally light breezes. Fantastic setting and conditions for enjoying tonights production at the Minack Theatre, Porthcurno. A must place to visit if you have not!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Quite frequently, FI has been showing something of a heatwave on the horizon. Some runs really do put the likes of France into the furnace with temps pushing 40c in some runs! 

Hope we are compensated with a real classic blowtorch Southerly into July or August.

• Like 4

Posted

Count yourself lucky. It's been 12C and cloudy here with the occasional spot of drizzle... and don't forget the north-westerly wind as well!

I would not say lucky; a large swathe of England has been basking in warm summer sunshine. Your time will come summer always takes some time to get going up north while across the channel down into Iberian peninsula a fire is burning. Conduction analogy is true here those closest to the burner are always going to be warmer. it takes some time for these more hot particles to spread and pass on their heat. Patience is key...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite frequently, FI has been showing something of a heatwave on the horizon. Some runs really do put the likes of France into the furnace with temps pushing 40c in some runs! 

Hope we are compensated with a real classic blowtorch Southerly into July or August.

That's my hope too, a nice long lasting, properly hot southerly with temps up into the 30's. Followed by an '80s style thundery breakdown with memorable storms. Still most of the summer to go, we have to lose this dreary NW pattern soon....

• Like 1