Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Shortwave

Sweden could potentially lose billions of dollars after the foreign minister speaks out against gender inequality in Saudi Arabia

I thought I would post this story as it covers a lot of frequently talked about elements in this sub-forum using an example which has a little less personal influence.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9481542/swedens-feminist-foreign-minister-has-dared-to-tell-the-truth-about-saudi-arabia-what-happens-now-concerns-us-all/#comments

Foreign minister Margot Wallström denounced the subjugation of women in Saudi Arabia as well as other human rights violations.
The response from Saudi Arabia was to withdraw ambassadors and stopped issuing visas to Swedish nationals entering the country. This was quickly followed by other Arab nations such as the UAE.

Sweden is the 12th largest arms exporter, $1.2 billion of this comes from Saudi Arabia with a serious risk that this source of income could be lost along with exports to other countries in the middle East. There is increasing pressure from companies and the establishment for Wallstrom to back down (likely she will get the sack).

So I thought I would put a few questions down.

1) Why has there been little if no news about this over the rest of Europe?
2) Does money conquer over morality, even those which we have thought for centuries to upheld. Can we continue to uphold these moralities in the modern world?
3) Should we deal with nations who have such a poor record on human rights, especially women's rights in this case. 

Good on her. The west usually act like such absolute hypocrites when it comes to Saudi Arabia. They have a more oppressive and brutal regime than many of the other middle eastern and foreign countries our representatives like to denounce.

And yeah, unfortunately, money does trump all.

I agree with the above but as to your third point I suspect there wouldn't be many nations left  with whom we could deal. Gender inequality and gendered violence is a worldwide problem and is a disgrace in the 21st century. For example Turkey is another such country where the rape and murder of hundreds of women take place each year.

The Women for Peace initiative highlights how the Turkish State is a 'men's state', a gendered institution which worries more about 'national security' and the possible threats posed by Kurdish separatism and ISIS in Syria, than the everyday realities of insecurity for Turkish women in their homes and public places such as buses and trains.

Political expediency and financial gain will always top the agenda unless there is a major world upheaval and unfortunately I can't see that happening anytime soon.