Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow On The Scottish Mountains 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Don't know about official definitions, but in my mind there has to be a flow, and that can presumably happen only after significant accumulation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Don't know about official definitions, but in my mind there has to be a flow, and that can presumably happen only after significant accumulation.

Yep, if there's no movement it's not a glacier.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Here is the 'provisional' snow patch count from Firfly. A record year on the cards as the figures speak for themselves..!! And this is NOT the final count. Thats what a cool Summer can do!

post-12319-0-08289300-1440681762_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8

Posted

Wowzers! Could anyone kindly post a tally of the actual survivors for each year, for comparison. My understanding was that although 2014 had many patches left at this stage, not many survived in the end due to the mild autumn?

Posted

Had a little look myself for the past few years:

2014/15 - 21

2013/14 - 6

2012-13 - 6

2011-12 - 2

2010-11 - 6

2009-10 - 6

2008-9 - 12

So, by my very rough estimate and all things being equal, we could be set for about 50 survivors to next winter.

Staggering to think that about 90% of patches at the end of August wont survive to winter when we are perhaps only 12 weeks away from lasting snows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Here is the 'provisional' snow patch count from Firfly. A record year on the cards as the figures speak for themselves..!! And this is NOT the final count. Thats what a cool Summer can do!

That'll be on the front page of the Daily Express tomorrow. :ninja:

Had a little look myself for the past few years:

2014/15 - 21

2013/14 - 6

2012-13 - 6

2011-12 - 2

2010-11 - 6

2009-10 - 6

2008-9 - 12

So, by my very rough estimate and all things being equal, we could be set for about 50 survivors to next winter.

Staggering to think that about 90% of patches at the end of August wont survive to winter when we are perhaps only 12 weeks away from lasting snows.

I'm not sure there'll be 50 survivors, but there'll certainly be a sair few. Almost certainly more thank last year, assuming g the rest of the year is 'normal.
  • Like 2

Posted

perhaps I'm getting a little carried away! Could be fun to predict a final 'count' though.

Based on your advice, I'll lower my prediction and plump for 36...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well thats it then, going to be a severe winter.... Waits for Corbyn & Madden to find some link between Scottish Snow patches and a winter forecast...  :fool:

• Like 1

Posted

Please remember all credit in this thread goes to Firefly! Lots of hard work involved, And many miles off slogging up hills!

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Wowzers! Could anyone kindly post a tally of the actual survivors for each year, for comparison. My understanding was that although 2014 had many patches left at this stage, not many survived in the end due to the mild autumn?

There certainly wont be any melt next week for the Scottish snow patches into the first week of Autumn... :)

post-6830-0-93160900-1440703312_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-66350900-1440703351_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I like the exponential trend....  :cold:

Yeah, you'd be looking at 1200 or so next year if that was the case.

A couple of years further on and I'd be expecting a patch in my north facing back garden year round. :whistling:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yeah, you'd be looking at 1200 or so next year if that was the case.

A couple of years further on and I'd be expecting a patch in my north facing back garden year round. :whistling:

Exponential observations? :)

Posted

Thanks to everyone for their continued interest! It's been a very busy few weeks.

Keep your eyes peeled tomorrow in the press. Apparently there could be a few stories and pictures regarding the snow survey last weekend.

Cheers

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2015/08/28/pics-show-ben-nevis-snow-caves-so-big-they-will-last-until-winter/

• Like 2

Posted

Posted

A touch of snow possible Wednesday with freeze/thaw cycles all week. Will certainly help retain..

11988240_736282566499668_634631389286408

• Like 2

Posted

• Like 6

Posted

Well done Helen.

The snow-hunter: this woman has skied 70 months in a row after beating cancer

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/snow-hunter-woman-skied-70-6338835

• Like 1

Posted

will not open

Sorry can not help there, Works for me? Shows footage of the Ford T driving down Ben Nevis in 1911 with snow patches and the old weather observatory. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

will not open

Try this one John, The BBC seem to have cottoned on to it... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34113797?SThisFB