Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jan

When a garage fails to fix a car properly

My daughter put her car into a small local garage for it's MOT, it needed various jobs including brakes totalling £350. On leaving the premises down a side road and approaching the main road she realised the brakes where not working and couldn't stop the car, she hit another car that was driving past. Both cars are write offs. Who is liable?, the garage owner has said that they failed to 'pump' the brakes before releasing the car to her. She's unhurt and so is the other driver but she was 2 months off receiving her first full year of accruing her own NCB, so I am assuming her car insurance will rocket now when it wasn't her fault, plus loosing the £350 she paid to have the work done. Can anyone  advise

I hope she's not too shaken up.

The Citizens Advice Bureau would be her best bet. The garage owner admitting verbally that they didn't "pump" the brakes might not be enough for the insurance company, although morally the garage should be totally liable.

I suspect her NCB is stuffed anyway, though.

I would ask for written confirmation from the garage of their failures before doing anything else, because if it isn't written down then effectively it didn't happen.

Did the garage after it did the work on the car, retest the car for its MOT? Was your daughter given a passed MOT certificate by the garage?

The problem with the brakes should have shown up in the retest I would have thought after the "repairs"

It seems to me that the garage if they released a car claiming it has passed its MOT and an accident immediately happens as a result from a failing in the car they could be in trouble with the motor vehicle authorities.

I once had the trouble that during a repair, the tube that fed special fluid to my steering wheel got damaged and a day after i got the car back I lost steering, although lucky for me on a dead side road at 6:30 in the morning, but still quite serious.

My garage gives me run down of what was done when any repair is done and cost in the form of a receipt, so I think you need that kind of Info from them stating that the brake repair was done by them.

The garage is to fault here and should shoulder the blame full stop. 

I have spent over 2 hours on the phone this morning to my insurers and latterly to the garage concerned.

They have admitted full liability to me and my insurers, the garage want me to go through their insurance and

are encouraging the 3rd party to go through theirs as well. Up to now they have been brilliant, they are mortified and the

lad responsible has had a roasting! The boss has offered my daughter the courtesy car for as long as she needs, to refund any

wages lost, to fix her car, any thing at all she needs help with and also fix the 3rd parties car, as well as claiming through the insurance.

Good on the garage from the sounds of it! Apart from the initial blunder obviously...

Garage just refunded £350 for a start :)

Just an update, all involved parties are going through the garages insurance, he has admitted full liability. My NCB is unaffected and my daughters insurance wont be affected either. Feel sorry for him as he is a nice man and truly is upset over this he has even offered to fix a dent on my car free of charge.