Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coldcomfort

UK WILL NOT TOLERATE EXTREMISTS - TERESA MAY

The UK will no longer tolerate the behaviour of Islamic extremists who "reject our values" - apparently!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32013794

What do you see as 'our values" in the Britain of today?

I'm at a completely lost to explain them any more?

There may have been something called "British values" 30 years ago which would have been shared by many across the island. With the North/South divide and multi-culturalism it just doesn't exist anymore.

by the fact we allow extremist to return from places like Syria etc proves the contrary to what she is saying.

There may have been something called "British values" 30 years ago which would have been shared by many across the island. With the North/South divide and multi-culturalism it just doesn't exist anymore.

That's very much how I see things MS. I think she has to explain exactly what 'British Standards' are if she expects everyone to live by them, because the suggestion appears to be if you don't then you are by definition an extremist. 

That's very much how I see things MS. I think she has to explain exactly what 'British Standards' are if she expects everyone to live by them, because the suggestion appears to be if you don't then you are by definition an extremist. 

The missus is French. Her values seem to be kinda the same as the ones we have here. Likewise, we are good friends with 2 couples who are both Irish + German. Again, values are very much the same. Also, we know...

I suspect May is either half inching other countries values, or they are not British at all, but rather something more universal, at least in (but not limited to) Western democracies.

The UK will no longer tolerate the behaviour of Islamic extremists who "reject our values" - apparently!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32013794

What do you see as 'our values" in the Britain of today?

I'm at a completely lost to explain them any more?

Just pre-Election bluster from May.

'We' could've sorted all this stuff years ago if there was a will, and certain issues around the Human Rights Act were not in place.

Nothing will change, post-2015 GE, on this front.

For me, the worrying aspects of her comments were:

1) A campaign to promote positive British values - what are they ? What happens if the Thought Police find you not thinking about the positive values at any moment ? It's absurd.

2) "Banning Orders" for groups not considered extreme enough - presumably that will include the Labour Party, the Liberal Democrats, UKIP, the Greens, the National Trust, the Scouts, the RAC etc, etc.

This is a difficult one for some people but in a free and open society, people must have the right to hold extreme views whether on abortion or gay marriage or whatever. Where that extremism translates into activities and acts beyond the law in terms of violence and intimidation, yes, that must be rooted out and punished and there's plenty of current legislation to deal with that.

What you cannot do is to stop people "being extreme". There was probably a time when the idea of abolishing slavery or giving votes to women would have been considered "extreme" but in the end the argument was won. I'm not saying all extreme positions are supportable but there has to be room for debate and argument and to try to make people "moderate" is fundamentally authoritarian, illiberal and plain wrong.

On that basis alone, I could never vote for the Conservatives - there are many who have liberal ideas and principles but unfortunately those like Theresa May seem once more to be in the ascendant and that makes the Party unfit to govern in my view.

Extremism is what is wrong with this world! It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere, even in highly religious countries. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is found to be extremist should not be allowed anywhere near this country!

Do you not find that a tad extremist? 

"Agree with my value system or else" - that strikes me as deeply fundamentalist in its rejection of the possibility that multiple different and sometimes conflicting beliefs can simultaneously be valid and worth exploring through reasoned discussion? I think it is - certainly by shutting down the discussion in an instant and distancing ourselves both physically and intellectually from challenging discussions is actually an example of allowing ourselves to become that which we ostensibly oppose. 

Extremism is what is wrong with this world! It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere, even in highly religious countries. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is found to be extremist should not be allowed anywhere near this country!

But the values in highly religious countries are based on their religion. From a human rights viewpoint I consider these values extreme. Ergo, ipso facto, the definition of extremism is a moveable feast based on cultural and religious differences.

I'm not saying that anyone has to agree with my values in any way at all. I just think that extremism shouldn't be tolerated at all. I have no problem with religious people or multiculturalism, but religious extremism and radicalisation is a problem. Just look at ISIS.

I have a problem with religion because very often it is in itself extreme. The treatment of women would be one example. You can also end up with the ridiculous business of two Qurans, Mecca and Medina and centuries of bloodshed in the Middle East.

To return to the original point,  I think due to government policy over the last 30 years or so, it's impossible to define 'traditional British values'. Historically they were a sense of fair play, a stiff upper lip and a willingness to help others, all wrapped up in a sense of pride - both nationally and globally. Thatcher basically started the destruction process with her greed based survival of the fittest policies, with Blair then driving a coach and horses through our sense of national identity. We eventually reached the point a few years ago when anyone putting the word British in front of anything was instantly branded a racist bigot, so for May to now try and suggest that all Brits should suddenly recognise and fully support traditional British values is laughable in the extreme.

At least the Scots, Welsh, irish and Cornish have managed to retain some degree of identity, but as far as England in general is concerned the fact is few if any of us know who we are any more..... and even fewer actually give a chuff. 

Good Afternoon everyone,

Horse and Stable Door spring to mind. 

Why has it taken 3 days before the dissolution of Parliament to suddenly "see the light". To my mind it is pure electioneering to try and out UKIP, UKIP.

No Ifs an No Buts Cameron has allowed all and sundry into this country, many with criminal records. We have also funded social care, NHS provision and Education for immigrants, including second generation arrivals for what?Certainly no signs of gratitude but Hordes of them taking extremist views and abhorring our way of life with significant numbers going to Syria to support Islamic State.

Before anyone accuses me of being a fascist, I am probably more left wing than a lot of posters on here, but I have seen what is happening to this country and as far as I am concerned enough is enough. If those who find our way of life not for them and see violence as the only way forward we should welcome their decision to leave with open arms and not let them back in again when the going gets tough.

My only concern tallies with what another poster has stated that the Home Secretary if the Conservatives are re-elected with an overall majority may use any legislation they may pass as an excuse to silence those that do not agree with them and their policies, rather than those that pose a direct threat to our safety and security. 

Kind Regards

Dave

At least the Scots, Welsh, irish and Cornish have managed to retain some degree of identity, but as far as England in general is concerned the fact is few if any of us know who we are any more..... and even fewer actually give a chuff. 

this is definitely true for England and a more extreme example is London whose population has changed completely in the last 30-40 years..the old style cockney accent is fast disappearing me old china to replaced by goodness knows what innit.

I don't think there's such thing as British values. But in a very basic sense, I would say this country stands for 'live and let live'.

this is definitely true for England and a more extreme example is London whose population has changed completely in the last 30-40 years..the old style cockney accent is fast disappearing me old china to replaced by goodness knows what innit.

That's a pity if so. My best mate at uni was a cockney and I ended up subconsciously absorbing some phrases. Hence the 'half inching' in my post above; something that gets me some puzzled looks sometimes in these parts!

I wouldn't worry it's all talk and no action.

However many posters are right there are no British Values anymore.

Perhaps the British values of old can be described as 'solidarity in the face of adversity' uniting under a common purpose. We've not had much in the way of threats over the last fifty years so people have grown accustomed to focus on their own interests rather than worry about challenges to their security and material comforts.

We know Gove means by 'Britishness' when he decided to introduce the teaching of a defined sense of Britishness into English schools.

These are,, “the values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefsâ€.

Now stop laughing................................................

We know Gove means by 'Britishness' when he decided to introduce the teaching of a defined sense of Britishness into English schools.

These are,, “the values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefsâ€.

Now stop laughing................................................

Values are dictated by society and not politicians or govt its not something you can teach in school. Another example of attempts at mind control by those in power.

Values are dictated by society and not politicians or govt its not something you can teach in school. Another example of attempts at mind control by those in power.

Absolutely, that is why multiculturalism was always doomed to fail. You can't tell people who to like, who to love and who to respect, those kind of things will always be down to individual choice. Judging by the way things have been handled by governments over the last 20 years, there was (and probably still is) a real danger that if you reported a gang of islamic extremists living next door, chances are you would have been accused of racism rather than thanked for your diligence...that despite the fact Islam is not a race.

Absolutely, that is why multiculturalism was always doomed to fail. You can't tell people who to like, who to love and who to respect, those kind of things will always be down to individual choice.

That's probably correct but why do they make that choice? On what is it based? Hopefully it's not based on something they were told or learnt. People choose to be homophobic but I think it perfectly valid to tell them that are wrong.

Multiculturalism would work fine if everybody respected other peoples values.

That's probably correct but why do they make that choice? On what is it based? Hopefully it's not based on something they were told or learnt. People choose to be homophobic but I think it perfectly valid to tell them that are wrong.

Multiculturalism would work fine if everybody respected other peoples values.

Simply human trait im afraid..that birds of a feather stick together..having lived in a foreign country we/I am are as guilty of it as everyone else

Simply human trait im afraid..that birds of a feather stick together..having lived in a foreign country we/I am are as guilty of it as everyone else

Indeed....many who moan about eastern Europeans or Muslims failing to integrate are the very same ones who move to Spain or Saudi and live in a Brits only enclave.  

I personally resent being told who I should and shouldn't like, respect or want to integrate with, I think i'm capable of making my own decisions. However based on recent and current governmental guidance that could easily get me branded a racist, but the fact is I would much rather live next door to a respectful Muslim family than a lot of drug taking, work shy, thieving white British chavs. On the other hand though I would much prefer to live next door to a decent, respectful, law abiding white British family than a lot of so called respectable Muslims, who believe in arranged marriages, honour killings and under age sex.  Sadly even now option one would be unlikely to raise a single eyebrow, whereas option two would still see many on the left chucking out the racist slur, despite the fact nothing could be further from the truth. 

But if it's always be down to individual choice whom to respect have they not got every tight to call you a racist if they so wish? I mean putting aside belief in honour killings and child sex that I very much doubt they would advertise, leaving you in the dark regarding that, you are left with a lot of so called respectable Muslims, who believe in arranged marriages, So essentually you are objecting to people who have a different culture to your own.

But if it's always be down to individual choice whom to respect have they not got every tight to call you a racist if they so wish? I mean putting aside belief in honour killings and child sex that I very much doubt they would advertise, leaving you in the dark regarding that, you are left with a lot of so called respectable Muslims, who believe in arranged marriages, So essentually you are objecting to people who have a different culture to your own.

its more that you gravitate to familiarity regardless..when I lived and worked in Calgary the expats in our office inc me were labelled as the 'British Mafia' a term of endearment rather than a slur..as we tended to unconsciously formed our own little sub group with secret handshakes and use of slang or language which would often confuse Canadians which to us was just the norm from being brought up in the UK