Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Tanning Season Is Here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I've created this thread three years in a row now. You know summer is well and truly on the way when you start to see the first moderate UV indexes of the year appear.

I've been checking since the end of February. The Met Office came on board yesterday, and UV Awareness only today.

Similarly to year 1 & 2, this UV forecast is for Hayle in Cornwall. The Isles of Scilly have a stronger UV forecast, but as they're not connected to mainland UK, and they're the most southerly parts, I'll only post that forecast as an example, as it wouldn't be fair or quantitative based on years 1 & 2.

Hayle: post-8895-0-86274000-1426593609_thumb.pn

Isles of Scilly: post-8895-0-77841100-1426593626_thumb.pn

Met Office for SW England: post-8895-0-25013400-1426593714_thumb.pn

Interestingly, this is a few days later than years 1 & 2, year's 1 being started on March 12th and last year's on March 14th.

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yep, first 3's of the year here today/tomorrow. Gloriously pleasant today too in clear blue skies albeit a touch hazy. Same tomorrow and looking for the eclipse here too whilst most others suffer cloud.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes its that time of year where if we get a couple of weeks cloud then everyone gets burnt at the first nice sunny day!!!

Posted

Here in the Lake District from many past experiences of walking in the fells in sunny conditions, we don't tend to feel the sun until about mid April, it is around that time when I slap a bit on suncream on especially if the forecast is for a blue sky sunny day. Last Good Friday fell late and it was gloriously sunny and the sun felt very warm indeed and I had suncream on.

Likewise the 'suncream' season tends to finish around mid September, more of a time lag, probably because we tend to see many more sunshine filled days in early-mid Sept than mid March-mid April and temperatures are appreciably warmer meaning you tend to need to expose the skin a lot more. The tops of the fells at this time of year are jolly cold, every bit as cold as mid winter.

Looking forward to that first 'warm' feeling day.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The sun definitely felt warm yesterday here. I can get burned from the end of March so I'll have to get sunscreen before long!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Having quite dark skin, I don't tend to start catching the sun at all until around mid-April, then bypass the red phase and go brown (which I'm thankful for).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I have never been burnt or even tanned this early in the year. Actually, I've never been burnt in my life. Naturally olive skin helps. Whenever I look at pictures from my childhood, you can tell what time of the year they were taken by looking at my skin and hair. In summer, my hair turns light brown and my skin becomes darker - more Mediterranean, and in winter, it becomes paler and my hair goes dark brown.

Posted

Having quite dark skin, I don't tend to start catching the sun at all until around mid-April, then bypass the red phase and go brown (which I'm thankful for).

Aren't they both just as damaging to your skin anyway?

Being someone who burns easily has its advantages, means I don't get complacent and always cover up!

• Like 1

Posted

Advice from someone who has spent the last 15 years having skin cancer ops, fortunately so far not of the life threatening variety. Take care and wear a hat when outside, use high factor skin cream and DO NOT use sun beds no matter what anyone tells you differently.

• Like 5

Posted

I back you up on this one John having though only been diagnosed once still go for checkups on suspicious areas of skin and have them frozen off. in my case my parants were not aware of the dangers and being a farmer it is an occupational hazard.Wear big Australian hat in the summer faced a bit of leg pulling when first worn but when told reason no worries.

Posted

UV index peaked at 2.8 here today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm lucky in that I have Mediterannean skin. I rarely burn. As in have to go out all day in 30C with no protection to burn. I go brown, really quickly and kerp my tan for a lonv time. That's not to say I don't take precautions though. I never wear anything less than factor 30 when out in the sun.

People often make the mistake of being impatient. The best tan you'll get is a slow, careful one, if you must get a tan. Tanning quickly and burning might mean you are brown quickly but it doesn't last long and causes damage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have never been burnt or even tanned this early in the year. Actually, I've never been burnt in my life. Naturally olive skin helps. Whenever I look at pictures from my childhood, you can tell what time of the year they were taken by looking at my skin and hair. In summer, my hair turns light brown and my skin becomes darker - more Mediterranean, and in winter, it becomes paler and my hair goes dark brown.

I'm exactly the same! 

Aren't they both just as damaging to your skin anyway?

Being someone who burns easily has its advantages, means I don't get complacent and always cover up!

Well yeah. I suppose if we were to protect ourself from the sun we wouldn't go out at all. Whenever I'm on holiday or specifically sunbathing in the summer in this country, I put on sun cream. Just being out in it either walking or whatever I don't, but then I'm not one for wearing summery clothing all the time. I think the most important thing is that people know their tendencies and protect themselves accordingly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I've had some quite serious sunburn in the past. There's a slight reddish ginger tint to my hair in sunlight and I have a gingerish beard (lol) so I'm guessing that's why I'm susceptible. A few years ago I stupidly sat out in the May sunshine with my top off for 2 hours. I was in tears with the agony. Any slight touch was excruciating.

I developed a darkening of an existing mole after this so now I keep myself well covered up. I really can't stand being out in the blazing sun TBH.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

It doesn't matter how dark or light your skin tone, the sun can damage everyone's skin. UV waves do not discriminate between different skin tones.

http://windowseat.ca/sun/

We are just over a few weeks away from Summer strength sunshine.

For those interested set a reminder for April 11 - a date that has the same sun intensity as August 31st.

Yep we certainly felt the suns power approaching summer strength last week with prolonged warm sunshine, felt very summery after 6 months of cooler sun.