Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

This Is What Humanity's Impact On The Planet Looks Like

knocker

Posted

A new photo book from conservation experts aims to shine a light on humanity's impact on the planet and convince people to think about their contribution. Overdevelopment, Overpopulation, Overshoot includes photos and essays exploring man's complicated relationship with the planet.

The book “presents the stark reality of a world transformed by human action, action that threatens our future and the buzzing, blossoming diversity of life with which we share the planet,†an introduction reads.

The authors also take aim at current rates of population growth, which they argue are unsustainable and present "ecological and social tragedies." "We sought to present a range of images reflecting how the human demographic explosion -- 7.3 billion people and still growing by over 1.5 million every week -- has diminished Earth’s richness and beauty, and contributed to so much misery among people," they wrote in a press release.

The images below, from the chapter "Feeding Frenzy" chronicle the landscape alterations and industrial operations needed to feed billions of people and the animals they consume.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/human-impact-on-planet-photos_n_6784080.html

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Too sad :(

Animal agriculture is one of the biggest causes!  Go vegan!

I fear it will be a while before the masses wake up and the goverments are allowing this to happen when they know the truth on how to save the planet or at least heal it.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Too sad :(

Animal agriculture is one of the biggest causes!  Go vegan!

I fear it will be a while before the masses wake up and the goverments are allowing this to happen when they know the truth on how to save the planet or at least heal it.

The irony being that the source of the electricity being generated to allow you to make this post is almost certainly having a negative impact on the planet too.

Everyone will always have some sort of impact on the planet, the best we can do is to all make small changes such as recycling more, driving a more efficient car, turning lights off etc. Suddenly giving up the steaks won't save the planet on its own.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 5

Posted

The irony being that the source of the electricity being generated to allow you to make this post is almost certainly having a negative impact on the planet too.

Everyone will always have some sort of impact on the planet, the best we can do is to all make small changes such as recycling more, driving a more efficient car, turning lights off etc. Suddenly giving up the steaks won't save the planet on its own.

Typical reply but it's about doing the best with the knowledge you have not scurting an issue that not only effects you but me and the gentle animals that don't want to bred only to be killed.

It is a peice of cow flesh, steak is just a word so people can disconnect where it came from.

You'dnot be giving up anything, you'd actually be making a great decision for your own health.  Everyone does ahve an impact on this planet but surely it's about causing the least amoujnt of harm....I will never understand why people are so protective over the meat they eat and not for the poor animals it came from.

Would you ever open your refrigerator, pull out 16 plates of pasta, toss 15 in the trash, and then eat just one plate of food? How about leveling 55 square feet of rain forest for a single meal or dumping 2,400 gallons of water down the drain? Of course you wouldn’t. But if you’re eating chickens, fish, turkeyspigscows, milk, or eggs, that’s what you’re doing—wasting resources and destroying our environment.

A recent United Nations report concluded that a global shift toward a vegan diet is necessary to combat the worst effects of climate change. And the U.N. is not alone in its analysis. A staggering 51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute. Researchers at the University of Chicago concluded that switching from a standard American diet to a vegan diet is more effective in the fight against climate change than switching from a standard American car to a hybrid. And a German study conducted in 2008 concluded that a meat-eater’s diet is responsible for more than seven times as much greenhouse-gas emissions as a vegan’s diet is. The verdict is in: If you care about the environment, one of the single most effective things that you can do to save it is to adopt a vegan diet.

I don't expect my reply to be all that popular but it is the truth and is becoming ever more apparent.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted

You'dnot be giving up anything, you'd actually be making a great decision for your own health.  Everyone does ahve an impact on this planet but surely it's about causing the least amoujnt of harm....I will never understand why people are so protective over the meat they eat and not for the poor animals it came from.

Would you ever open your refrigerator, pull out 16 plates of pasta, toss 15 in the trash, and then eat just one plate of food? How about leveling 55 square feet of rain forest for a single meal or dumping 2,400 gallons of water down the drain? Of course you wouldn’t. But if you’re eating chickens, fish, turkeyspigscows, milk, or eggs, that’s what you’re doing—wasting resources and destroying our environment.

A recent United Nations report concluded that a global shift toward a vegan diet is necessary to combat the worst effects of climate change. And the U.N. is not alone in its analysis. A staggering 51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute. Researchers at the University of Chicago concluded that switching from a standard American diet to a vegan diet is more effective in the fight against climate change than switching from a standard American car to a hybrid. And a German study conducted in 2008 concluded that a meat-eater’s diet is responsible for more than seven times as much greenhouse-gas emissions as a vegan’s diet is. The verdict is in: If you care about the environment, one of the single most effective things that you can do to save it is to adopt a vegan diet.

I'm fully aware of all this, yet still choose to consume animal products. 

I think part of the reason so many people are "protective" as you call it is the preachy and judgemental nature of a significant minority of veggies/vegans. Not so long ago I got likened to a rapist for being a meat-eater by one in particular. Bullying and insulting people is hardly going to change their ways. Of course, most veggies and vegans are happy to quietly disagree, and I do agree that me eating meat is doing both myself and the planet harm. My closest friend is a vegan, but never calls me up on my lifestyle (not saying that you are of course).

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A recent United Nations report concluded that a global shift toward a vegan diet is necessary to combat the worst effects of climate change. And the U.N. is not alone in its analysis. A staggering 51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute. Researchers at the University of Chicago concluded that switching from a standard American diet to a vegan diet is more effective in the fight against climate change than switching from a standard American car to a hybrid. And a German study conducted in 2008 concluded that a meat-eater’s diet is responsible for more than sevee n times as much greenhouse-gas emissions as a vegan’s diet is. The verdict is in: If you care about the environment, one of the single most effective things that you can do to save it is to adopt a vegan diet.

Hi tw81......I appreciate your point of view, but I can't see how for the life of me that giving up meat will save the planet.....Homo Sapiens are omnivores, we have large brains for extra intelligence and problem solving (well, some of us do....lol) forward facing eyes giving 3D vision, two prime characteristics for carnivores/omnivores.....If mother nature had intended us to not eat meat, it would have given us wider set eyes (for wider set of eyes to avoid predators) more acute hearing (for the same purpose) smaller teeth (not canine-like) for more efficient grinding of plant material, and a much more efficient digestive system (for the same purpose)............My ex-partner was a vegetarian, and yes, she tried to convert me, but although some of the meals cooked were pleasant enough, I have to admit that most of the time I was thinking 'how can you eat that bland, textureless nonsense'........Anyhoos, just a differing point of view from me, I like eating meat as part of a healthy diet and won't change this for reading a few scaremongering reports  :smile:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Why do all the vegan/vegies I know then look so pasty white and have constant colds if it is so healthy?

And you do realise that most if not all the poor little animals will not have a life to begin with if they are no longer required for the food chain. No one is going to keep them just for the sake of it.

If you want to be a vegan, great go ahead but don't start spouting moral judgements on the rest of us that do want to eat meat, which is a natural part of human consumption.

Posted

I'm fully aware of all this, yet still choose to consume animal products. 

I think part of the reason so many people are "protective" as you call it is the preachy and judgemental nature of a significant minority of veggies/vegans. Not so long ago I got likened to a rapist for being a meat-eater by one in particular. Bullying and insulting people is hardly going to change their ways. Of course, most veggies and vegans are happy to quietly disagree, and I do agree that me eating meat is doing both myself and the planet harm. My closest friend is a vegan, but never calls me up on my lifestyle (not saying that you are of course).

Ok well I'm glad you have a choice because the animals don't, even if some people like the taste of meat there are very good substitutes like Linda McCartney and Fry's vegan range.

But I respect that it's how people were raised, I ate it the first 15 years of my life but once I researched, I could never ever touch it again and can I say I rarely if ever get sick so it must be doing something ok.

But I agree with the car comment you made, recycling and renewable energy, in this day and age I can't understant why it's not happening more now....One day oil  will run out which can only be a good thing, maybe then there will be less wars.

Have a nice weekend :)

Posted

Hi tw81......I appreciate your point of view, but I can't see how for the life of me that giving up meat will save the planet.....Homo Sapiens are omnivores, we have large brains for extra intelligence and problem solving (well, some of us do....lol) forward facing eyes giving 3D vision, two prime characteristics for carnivores/omnivores.....If mother nature had intended us to not eat meat, it would have given us wider set eyes (for wider set of eyes to avoid predators) more acute hearing (for the same purpose) smaller teeth (not canine-like) for more efficient grinding of plant material, and a much more efficient digestive system (for the same purpose)............My ex-partner was a vegetarian, and yes, she tried to convert me, but although some of the meals cooked were pleasant enough, I have to admit that most of the time I was thinking 'how can you eat that bland, textureless nonsense'........Anyhoos, just a differing point of view from me, I like eating meat as part of a healthy diet and won't change this for reading a few scaremongering reports  :smile:

In fairness, the farming of animals does have a significant impact on the planet, the resources required to rear livestock is far greater than those needed simply to grow crops.

Part of my reluctance to change is that I just love meat too much! It would be a huge lifestyle change. And this is why I got likened to a rapist. The quote went along the lines of "You're no better than a rapist who won't stop because he enjoys sex too much". It's those kinds of attitudes that probably put people off taking the opinions of veggies on board.

I have no problem with people putting evidence across, but it's up to the individual to decide based on the evidence. And I have chosen to continue consuming animal products, despite the fact I know it's doing the planet harm. If that makes me a monster in the eyes of some then so be it!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted

Why do all the vegan/vegies I know then look so pasty white and have constant colds if it is so healthy?

And you do realise that most if not all the poor little animals will not have a life to begin with if they are no longer required for the food chain. No one is going to keep them just for the sake of it.

If you want to be a vegan, great go ahead but don't start spouting moral judgements on the rest of us that do want to eat meat, which is a natural part of human consumption.

Moral judgement?  What do you cast on the poor animals you eat, if that's not judgement I don't know what is!  You want to see violence, look at your plate of food.

Pasty?!!  Well I can't talk for anyone else but I don't tan as I don't want to look like a hand bag.And I'll take a cold over a heart attack, diabetes type 2, stroke, cancer any day.

It's only scaremongoring because you don't want to know the truth.

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted

In fairness, the farming of animals does have a significant impact on the planet, the resources required to rear livestock is far greater than those needed simply to grow crops.

Part of my reluctance to change is that I just love meat too much! It would be a huge lifestyle change. And this is why I got likened to a rapist. The quote went along the lines of "You're no better than a rapist who won't stop because he enjoys sex too much". It's those kinds of attitudes that probably put people off taking the opinions of veggies on board.

I have no problem with people putting evidence across, but it's up to the individual to decide based on the evidence. And I have chosen to continue consuming animal products, despite the fact I know it's doing the planet harm. If that makes me a monster in the eyes of some then so be it!

Thankyou for at least putting your point across in a non offensive way, unlike others.

Well I can't blame people for being passionate giving the subject, defending a creature that can't speak up for itself evokes strong emotions, I guess it's about doing the best you can do and being a good example...People will always have mosconceptions and having a huge group of vegan friends we are not pasty at all (most of us look pretty young for our ages too) and from a personal point when I stopped dairy I now rarely get colds which is awesome. 

Anyway I'm off before I get lynched, it's like an episode of TWD eek

I t

• Like 2

Posted

Moral judgement?  What do you cast on the poor animals you eat, if that's not judgement I don't know what is!  You want to see violence, look at your plate of food.

Pasty?!!  Well I can't talk for anyone else but I don't tan as I don't want to look like a hand bag.And I'll take a cold over a heart attack, diabetes type 2, stroke, cancer any day.

Like I said if you want to be a Vegan, fine, but keep it to yourself and quit preaching.

I see no violence on my plate of food thank you. What I see is something tasty to eat and is part of my natural diet.

Im quite sure I could fine examples of Veggies/vegans that have had cancer, strokes, diabetes and heart attacks so pointless arguement.

I know the truth that Humans sit near / at the top of the food chain, that is the natural way of life, whether you like that or not is irrelevant.

On your list of meater eater/human/veggie you missed the fact that the specialised part for a human isnt claws or stomach type etc but our brain. That is what makes us effective at providing all the food we require and preparing it to suit us best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

nonsense....and what gives you the right to say that 'I dont want to know the truth' ?......you don't know me so trying to gain the moral high ground just doesn't wash with me I'm afraid....and far from being lynched, not all of us share your views, but we respect them, yet the inference I get from your posts is that you don't respect ours as non-vegans?........archieological records have proven beyond any doubt that Homo Sapiens have been omnivores from the beginning of our existence as a species, as were the ancestors of our species.....It's interesting to note that even the renowned Vegetarian Resource Group class Humans as omnivores

https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

Posted

Thankyou for at least putting your point across in a non offensive way, unlike others.

Well I can't blame people for being passionate giving the subject, defending a creature that can't speak up for itself evokes strong emotions, I guess it's about doing the best you can do and being a good example...People will always have mosconceptions and having a huge group of vegan friends we are not pasty at all (most of us look pretty young for our ages too) and from a personal point when I stopped dairy I now rarely get colds which is awesome. 

I t

I'm hardly the picture of health so I can hardly preach from that point of view :laugh: 

It's an emotive subject, and I'm sure there are many like me who do agree with the basis of vegetarianism/veganism, but make the choice not go with it. I do try at least wherever possible to get animal products from more responsible sources, and I do take whatever measures necessary to reduce my impact in other areas, I'm often the bin police in my house when recyclables end up in the normal bin! I like to think I'm more environmentally friendly/conscious than some, but there are plenty of things I could probably improve on.

Posted

And yes, there is a middle ground between "meat eaters" and "herbivores". I disagree that humans don't have sharp teeth, we have canine teeth don't we?

Posted

I'm hardly the picture of health so I can hardly preach from that point of view :laugh:

It's an emotive subject, and I'm sure there are many like me who do agree with the basis of vegetarianism/veganism, but make the choice not go with it. I do try at least wherever possible to get animal products from more responsible sources, and I do take whatever measures necessary to reduce my impact in other areas, I'm often the bin police in my house when recyclables end up in the normal bin! I like to think I'm more environmentally friendly/conscious than some, but there are plenty of things I could probably improve on.

If I had the space I would raise my own source of meat sadly I have to settle for just growing as much as possible in the space available.

I am also frustrated at the poor recycling of the city council which was much better when we lived in Wales.

Posted

If I had the space I would raise my own source of meat sadly I have to settle for just growing as much as possible in the space available.

I am also frustrated at the poor recycling of the city council which was much better when we lived in Wales.

Thankfully Aylesbury Vale council is decent for recycling. When I lived in Oklahoma it was so frustrating as the word "recycling" doesn't seem to appear in their dictionary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I'm going to casually stroll in here and just say this.

Thousands of years ago we ate meat and did very little harm to the environment, today on the other we do to a certain extent (this is a discussion on the degree rather than a black and white yes/no answer).

There is another much bigger reason for humans damaging the planet, one which tends to be avoid on the mainstream press, and that is over-population.

In terms of food production, we need to evolve ideas and ways to produce more food from the same amount of space, be it animal or crop, though I suspect a more sustainable world would require a less meat filled diet (that said mass deforestation for crop production doesn't help the planet either.).

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

There is another much bigger reason for humans damaging the planet, one which tends to be avoid on the mainstream press, and that is over-population.

Exactly, this needs to be addressed and urgently.

Posted

I'm going to casually stroll in here and just say this.

Thousands of years ago we ate meat and did very little harm to the environment, today on the other we do to a certain extent (this is a discussion on the degree rather than a black and white yes/no answer).

In terms of food production, we need to evolve ideas and ways to produce more food from the same amount of space, be it animal or crop, though I suspect a more sustainable world would require a less meat filled diet (that said mass deforestation for crop production doesn't help the planet either.).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Overpopulation seems to be the elephant in the room when it comes to the environment. There are far, far too many people on this planet and the population keeps growing at an eye-watering rate. The most environmentally friendly decision you can make in life is to not have children! 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I try and be as environmentally friendly as possible, I do think family planning should be a global effort and not just selected countries.. To at least control the population, Along with educating others about the importance'y of it. I only buy what i need, Not that i have to, but through choice. It's much less wasteful and i thoroughly enjoy the extra challenge. Plus you save money! For which is a bigger problem than the population, As it just add's to everyone's trapped/greedy nature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Too much of something in most eco-systems normally ends with some form of rebalance taking place.

We can try and fight it but nature will kick us hard when that day comes.

• Like 1

Posted

I t

I'm a vegetarian and I find your comments offensive. Yes, producing meat does use up a lot of resources, especially water, but humans have evolved as omnivores and meat is, after all, the easiest way to obtain all the essential amino acids. Getting over-emotional and throwing insults around isn't going to win you any argument.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 1

Posted

That's not strictly true. Until recently when McDonalds found a new lucrative market, there was very little meat eaten by millions in far eastern countries. And passing moral judgements is endemic within society and that includes NW.

• Like 1