Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We are truly into mid summer now and what a wonderful time of year it is with daylight almost at its max. The chilly nagging northwesterlies seem a long time ago now. It looks like staying pretty warm here now till next Monday, then a short cooler spell and after that there are signs that pressure and temperatures will be once again on the rise. We have been spoilt in the last 2 Julys and i hope this one is the same. Nothing worse than the light evenings being ruined by horrid autumnal like wind and rain.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Agree that stays hot now until Monday but cannot agree that signs are for temps to rise after mid week. All signs jet anomaly models NAO show a return to near normal temps with a flat jet bringing west to sw and sun an showers. Nothing sustained in terms of heat showing.

Near normal temps for a time before a pressure rise from the south, shown on both ECM and GEFS means which would lead to temperatures rising.

Reem2161.gif

• Like 3

Posted

So three warm days and a thunderstorm it is then. Not so sure playing football in 30c was a great idea!

Posted

So three warm days and a thunderstorm it is then. Not so sure playing football in 30c was a great idea!

In Somerset, we only had two hot days, only one of them was sunny, and no storm. So you did well :)

Edited by Rammie

Posted

In Somerset, we only had two hot days, only one of them was sunny, and no storm. So you did well :)

Well I was generally speaking, but specifically here, one warm day, one hot day, one cloudy warm day. Storm is yet to happen, probably tomorrow night here. But at 22c here, tomorrow will be nothing to write home about, although should be a very pleasant day...

Posted

Has anyone seen Gavin Partridge's recent videos? He seems to think the middle of July will be average but improving toward the end of the month. He reckons at the moment that August could be shaping up to be a pretty summery month. About time too if that happened - when was the last properly summery August?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Has anyone seen Gavin Partridge's recent videos? He seems to think the middle of July will be average but improving toward the end of the month. He reckons at the moment that August could be shaping up to be a pretty summery month. About time too if that happened - when was the last properly summery August?!

'03 I would think, but I generally rate 2nd half of Aug as much cooler/coolest part of 'summer', and even hints of autumn in the air, esp after 25th or so

even aug 'o3 was coolish after 11th I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

03 I'd say which is when we hit 100F in kent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

After last weeks heat its back to average conditions now with the weather coming in off the Atlantic.

Though its possible I don't think we'll see anything like last weeks heat across country for remainder of this summer, they're usually a one off event.

We might see a few days with temps touching 30'C but I feel we won't see the 35'C across a large part of country like last week.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

'03 I would think, but I generally rate 2nd half of Aug as much cooler/coolest part of 'summer', and even hints of autumn in the air, esp after 25th or so

even aug 'o3 was coolish after 11th I think

I find late August to be interesting too, it's the first time of year when the nights can be dark and cold enough to remove any thoughts of summer. It's also the time of year when mentally, there are years in which my brain declares that Autumn has arrived. In 2010 and 2011 for example it was late August that my brain switched into Autumn mode due to the weather types and nothing warm on the horizon. 

Since 2004 (warm and wet) or 2003 (hot and dry), the warmest August was 2013 at 0.7C above the 1981-2010 average. 

The bad Augusts must surely be statistically unusual because early August (at least) is supposed to be the warmest part of the year.

These 'bad' Augusts are actually the historical norm given most of them have been very close to average. 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2012 we no more than 0.3C away from average. 

• Like 3

Posted

Though its possible I don't think we'll see anything like last weeks heat across country for remainder of this summer, they're usually a one off event.

We might see a few days with temps touching 30'C but I feel we won't see the 35'C across a large part of country like last week.

What makes you think that?

Posted

Common sense maybe. :D

It seems similar to declaring on 5th January that there won't be any more heavy snowfall (if there'd already been some), even though Europe is still very cold and there are signs that February could be a cold month. :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

What makes you think that?

Well perhaps is because we live in the Uk!

• Like 1

Posted

Well perhaps is because we live in the Uk!

Yes, but I just think it's a bit odd to write something off based on that.

Edited by h2005uk

Posted

Yes, but I just think it's a bit odd to write something off based on that.

"Unlikely" Was the word used I think? And that seems pretty fair to me :) Or maybe not :D  " a one off"   then :oops:

Edited by DAVID SNOW
  • Like 2

Posted

"Unlikely" Was the word used I think? And that seems pretty fair to me :)

"Thought it's possible I don't think" to be precise. I was just wondering if anything had generated that thought apart from the fact that the UK doesn't see that type of weather all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Since 2004 (warm and wet) or 2003 (hot and dry), the warmest August was 2013 at 0.7C above the 1981-2010 average. 

These 'bad' Augusts are actually the historical norm given most of them have been very close to average. 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2012 we no more than 0.3C away from average.

But temperatures are only part to the picture, you cannot use temps alone to decide how good august is. Theres sunshine levels, rainfall too, both of which are crucial. After all, it could be very wet,very dull, but warm. Would anyone think that was a good summer month?

And i dont mean those who hate heat, i mean summer as in what we regard as summer type weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Exactly.. August 2008 might have been close to average but that's only because nighttime temps were kept high due to the ridiculous cloud & rain levels. Daytime temps were very disappointing - highest temp all month was 23C here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

GFS is starting to look very 2010-esque with a ridiculously prominent NW-SE split rearing its ugly head, no idea why this idea keeps on recurring - can't it just bugger off? ECM is looking pretty rubbish too. Hopefully UKMO is closer to the money.

Sigh.. only in the UK can you watch the models and pray that summer will remain. In most other countries it's pretty much a certainty. :(

• Like 1

Posted

The models are particularly uninspiring for the foreseeable. :closedeyes:

Can anyone remember - how far in advance did the models predict last week's heat? Just wondering about their performance.

Posted

The models are particularly uninspiring for the foreseeable. :closedeyes:

Can anyone remember - how far in advance did the models predict last week's heat? Just wondering about their performance.

I think it was 'spotted' at nearly 10 days out.

The models show  an average summer set up for the UK as a whole for the next 10 days :)

Posted

GFS is starting to look very 2010-esque with a ridiculously prominent NW-SE split rearing its ugly head, no idea why this idea keeps on recurring - can't it just bugger off? ECM is looking pretty rubbish too. Hopefully UKMO is closer to the money.

Sigh.. only in the UK can you watch the models and pray that summer will remain. In most other countries it's pretty much a certainty. :(

I'm sure many in different parts of the globe cant wait for summer to recede. It does not look that bad to be truthful certainly not a washout today for instance has been rather nice with sunshine in low 20's.

I'm sure many in different parts of the globe cant wait for summer to recede. It does not look that bad to be truthful certainly not a washout today for instance has been rather nice with sunshine in low 20's.

it's relative Dan ,rain here since lunchtime ......
  • Like 1