Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2015.

Posted

Heatwave? Not sure what all the fuss is about. Sure, it was a lovely warm summery day today, but with a notable breeze. Very usable weather indeed. Certainly hasn't felt uncomfortable yet, which is usually the case with heatwaves. Looks like mid twenties here most of the week (which is what it was today), maybe something a little hotter on Saturday. I think some are getting carried away with themselves, lovely weather yes, but newsworthy - hardly!

The heatwave hadn't started yet the last I heard...

• Like 5

Posted

Quite amusing reading some comments about the 'heat'. I suppose it depends on each person and their expectation?

Me I am happy with sun and values over the average for the summer, about 21C for here. Today looks like being the 7th succesive day with values over 21C. Coolish values for the dewpoints which does have an effect on how wamr or cold it feels coupled with any breeze. Those values have been above 10C throughout since the early hours of 24th. Values of 13C perhaps 15C are what makes it feel sticky, humid and to me unpleasant. But they are the values needed for it to feel comfortable to sit out in the evening.

Posted

The heatwave hadn't started yet the last I heard...

Let me know when it does, another lovely day here. Shame to be at work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Well i don't want heat on Friday, cause i'm moving, and i will be walking a long steep staircase about 50 to 60 times, whilst carrying stuff (jesus)

I see the Met Office have not yet issued any heat advisory warnings, they usually do, when a heatwave is expected.

Just a yellow warning for isolated storms for the north of England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Let me know when it does, another lovely day here. Shame to be at work.

its here NOW! :)

its simply beautiful weather... it doesnt get any better... crystal clear blue skies (but that wont last, itll become milky), hot, gentle breeze, humidity not too high... (here im talking about obvs).

LOVE IT! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well i don't want heat on Friday, cause i'm moving, and i will be walking a long steep staircase about 50 to 60 times, whilst carrying stuff (jesus)

I see the Met Office have not yet issued any heat advisory warnings, they usually do, when a heatwave is expected.

Just a yellow warning for isolated storms for the north of England

A heatwave alert was issued on Sunday its in force till early Thursday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

• Like 1

Posted

its here NOW! :)

its simply beautiful weather... it doesnt get any better... crystal clear blue skies (but that wont last, itll become milky), hot, gentle breeze, humidity not too high... (here im talking about obvs).

LOVE IT! :)

Couldn't agree more, gorgeous and the main thing is not too humid, that's what I don't do too well with. Apart from some cloud/rain to contend with Thursday.

• Like 1

Posted

What a beautiful evening, warmth, red wine, lilies and honeysuckle scenting the warm air whilst bats flit overhead... This is what summers all about, a first class day today, brilliant, one to remember and hope for... :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

What a beautiful evening, warmth, red wine, lilies and honeysuckle scenting the warm air whilst bats flit overhead... This is what summers all about, a first class day today, brilliant, one to remember and hope for... :)

Yes Rob, A lovely summers evening sat out here to in the garden making most of the cooler air, And a few more to come looking at the models  :D

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Yep, and better still tomorrow. U8 football training tomorrow 6-7.30. Massive water fight planned for the end. :-)

Off topic, I know, but we get a handful of these days a year at most so let's enjoy them.

• Like 2

Posted

us heatlovers should enjoy today, its looking like itll be the hottest for 9 years, (locally at least as we havnt enjoyed of 30c+ since july 06) , it might well turn out to be the hottest of the year, and of course theres no saying when the next 30c+ will be attained. (of course those in the southeast get it more often).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

us heatlovers should enjoy today, its looking like itll be the hottest for 9 years, (locally at least as we havnt enjoyed of 30c+ since july 06) , it might well turn out to be the hottest of the year, and of course theres no saying when the next 30c+ will be attained. (of course those in the southeast get it more often).

wish I could enjoy heat, i suffer from lack of sleep, feeling rough, cannot cool down, even wear wet clothes after 8pm, i'm convinced less weight you have on, the hotter you are in hot spells,

I'm hoping today's thunderstorms hold off until late afternoon because I want to see what temperatures today can generate. 32-35C looks quite possible across most of England and Wales. If that happens and then there is a big storm during the evening hours, then today will be the perfect summer's day!

with that username, you should want thunderstorms in the day as well! i certainly do, and I am a snow lover

Posted

Scott, you look in a good spot for just that, 31C then evening storms, where as this location will suck, just sun, sun sun, 31C and no stormz

Posted

I hope so. 90F could be hit in Manchester today.

You might get something... always say you never know. :)

Anyway, the models are really looking good for next week too, with the Azores High being nearby. Is there possibly a very good July on the way?

would like it, my ideal setup is sunny, 22-23C, with Azores high, hopefully the odd storm thrown in

Posted

I'm hoping today's thunderstorms hold off until late afternoon because I want to see what temperatures today can generate. 32-35C looks quite possible across most of England and Wales. If that happens and then there is a big storm during the evening hours, then today will be the perfect summer's day!

thunderstorms have begun here @ 1300 ... one to my east, one to my west... building fast and becoming very violent by the sound of it. but they are rapidly heading north, someones going to get a corker later... 

isnt frosty in leeds?... think leeds will get a good un..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

But thats for 3pm and temps at Heathrow (down to 31.5) already started to fall back so probably not as undercooked as suggested. 36C and any potential records are no out of the question with increasing cloud.

Just goes to show what you know I guess, or don't! 36.7 at Heathrow, all new July record and it's still only mid afternoon so that could climb even higher.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

thunderstorms have begun here @ 1300 ... one to my east, one to my west... building fast and becoming very violent by the sound of it. but they are rapidly heading north, someones going to get a corker later... 

isnt frosty in leeds?... think leeds will get a good un..

Frosty is in Wakefield so not far from Leeds. We had thunder already but no direct storm - hoping tonight delivers but we'll see.

• Like 1

Just goes to show what you know I guess, or don't! 36.7 at Heathrow, all new July record and it's still only mid afternoon so that could climb even higher.

Can't find his post in here but i can't believe he said that with todays uppers, epic fail in his regard. :D

• Like 1

Posted

Can't find his post in here but i can't believe he said that with todays uppers, epic fail in his regard. :D

indeed eugene, today has delivered a day to remember, not only for records being broken but for the evolution of this heatwave, the heatwave that some said wouldnt happen! 8)

lesson..... ignore a build up of heat (or cold) on the near continent at your peril! :whistling:

Posted

Temperatures of 35 °C or more are rare in the British Isles; between 1920 and 2002 this value was attained in only six summers (1923, 1932, 1957, 1976, 1990 and 1995). Of these six, in only two (1932 and 1990) did the temperature reach 36 °C. Many of the well-known fine summers during this period (for example, 1921, 1947, 1959, 1983 and 1989) are conspicuously absent, and therefore it is clear that truly exceptional temperatures require more than just a long fine spell.

The 850mb temp at Herstmonceux at 12z was 20.4C and a humidity profile surface to 850 in the 40s.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The temp at 850hpa is 20c but the ground temp here is 16c, quite remarkable really, the wind slightly off the sea is to blame. Had 28.5 here yesterday  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Nice while it lasted but it looks like turning cooler and unsettled over next few days.

At least it will be more comfortable for working in. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Horrid horrid day today humid hot uncomfortable....happily its brief so roll on next week where we see rain lower temps and it's a week nearer the end of Summer.

But on the other hand by the time next week rolls in we'll also be one week closer to the start of next summer, which hopefully includes multiple plumes lol  :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Temperatures of 35 °C or more are rare in the British Isles; between 1920 and 2002 this value was attained in only six summers (1923, 1932, 1957, 1976, 1990 and 1995). Of these six, in only two (1932 and 1990) did the temperature reach 36 °C. Many of the well-known fine summers during this period (for example, 1921, 1947, 1959, 1983 and 1989) are conspicuously absent, and therefore it is clear that truly exceptional temperatures require more than just a long fine spell.

The 850mb temp at Herstmonceux at 12z was 20.4C and a humidity profile surface to 850 in the 40s.

From which I conclude that  a summer containing prolonged, dry, settled, breakaway-Azores-High dominated spells (1989 being a conspicuous example) needn't contain 90F temps very often (if at all). I approve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Horrid horrid day today humid hot uncomfortable....happily its brief so roll on next week where we see rain lower temps and it's a week nearer the end of Summer.

Comments like this are helpful for deciphering people's weather preferences. We know you look for cold now. Hehe. :)

• Like 1