Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2015.

Posted

Indeed. Cold lovers rule the roost and shoot anyone down who day speak of mild weather in winter - without acknowledging how damaging cold weather and snow are.

Hypocrisy.

how many people have ever died from the cold in uk?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Plus... Do you make such requests in winter when bitter cold and snow cause major health problems for the old and infirm?

Thought not.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

how many people have ever died from the cold in uk?

Lots - every year. Usually the elderly who can't afford to heat their home.

• Like 3

Posted

they die because they are old and are succeptable to any deviant in temperature.  old people die when its 12 degrees but doesn't get reported.

we have the least extreme weather in the world.

Posted

Indeed. Cold lovers rule the roost and shoot anyone down who dare speak of mild weather in winter - without acknowledging how damaging cold weather and snow are. Yet those of us wanting a bit of heat must show consideration.

Hypocrisy.

Well said sir! Spot on.

Imlooking foreward to this possible heat, at worst itll be warm, some june heat is long overdue and a long hot summer is long overdue... 9 years since the last... And no, 2013/2014 only had a couple of hot weeks and dont compare to the summers of 75,76,83,95,03,06 etc

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

they die because they are old and are succeptable to any deviant in temperature.  old people die when its 12 degrees but doesn't get reported.

They do - but it's only a problem when it's heat related on this forum.

Plus long periods of cold and snow claim the lives of the young too, especially when the roads are icy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Much as I love the idea/possibility/even probability of mega-hotness in the SE next w/e, that of Sat 6th June ...

Unstable, thundery, 27C to 30C level heat with risks of storms excites me FAR less than does hopes of sensible, settled, dry, warm and sunny weather. At 22C type level. With zero thunderstorm risk ...

Bring THAT on for the rest of June, please! Say I!

Edited by William of Walworth
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Apparently an estimated 15,000 people died from the heat in France due to the August 2003 heatwave, and I recall how excessive it got because I was there!  A couple of thousand also died in the UK.  True, as with cold weather, you can't really blame 100% of those deaths directly on the weather, since some of these people were on the verge of dying of old age anyway, but it's quite a high percentage, and both hot and cold extremes are comparably capable of killing a lot of people. 

I can certainly sympathise with the implied comments about the London Underground- I went on there on a trip from Norwich to Reading sometime in July 2010 and while the temperature in London was a quite (for me) respectable 25-27C, in the Underground it was unbearably hot- probably at least ten degrees hotter.  I often think that hot spells are more likely to be welcomed by the majority the further north and west you go.  I am feeling a lot of "20th anniversary 1995 nostalgia" this year and am in little doubt that a high percentage of people (both on this forum and among the general public) in central, western and northern Britain will have very fond memories of that summer.  In central London, probably a somewhat smaller percentage.

I cannot really see myself finding the upcoming spell too hot in the Exeter area (and I am aware that the latest GFS run is indicating maxima of around 27-28C there for a couple of days) but each to their own.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

you will be old one day , let's hope your summers are mild ,and your winters too ...:)..
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

So the big question is, will the ECM op which shows potentially record breaking heat for early June be an outlier? :p

While the uppers may be close to record breaking, the lack of high pressure will ensure the atmosphere goes bang before the air temperature threatens any records. 

We had 33C in 2011 and 2005. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

mmm, is it a one day wonder, ECM and GFS showing Friday as the only hot day, back to our usual Atlantic winds and low pressure by saturday, infact may not even reach 20C on Sat

• Like 2

And having consulted Mystic Meg and in anticipation of some posts this morning a quick look at the GEFS anomaly for00.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

Not sure they will be too many post this morning given the latest GFS and ECM runs, no doubt most will hold fire until this evening in the hope they prove to be nothing more than an extended bad dream, though some may re-emerge after the 06 if it looks better.... :oops:   I think the one thing they do say is never assume anything in this game!

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 3

Posted

The danger of looking at one or two ops runs. With the weak upper trough to the west and LP to the SW there were always two or three options how this would develop before a more settled HP. In fact there still are.

post-12275-0-31907400-1433055904_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

It seems like winter but in reverse.  First we see stella charts on edges of FI and then they get watered down overnight as we get nearer. 

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some hideous charts on offer this morning after the dreamy ones of the last few days. Quite typical really, it was all too far out to verify as shown. Still quite a lot of time to go, however, I'm sure a warm up will occur with this vile NW pattern gone for some time.

• Like 2

Posted

tbh... weather doesnt 'kill' old people.... being old does. no matter whether its heat or cold, people slowly get more infirm and weak. weather extremes only bring on the inevitable.

• Like 1

Posted

Some hideous charts on offer this morning after the dreamy ones of the last few days. Quite typical really, it was all too far out to verify as shown. Still quite a lot of time to go, however, I'm sure a warm up will occur with this vile NW pattern gone for some time.

.... but its looking like it might be turning rather wet, the anoms show a warm/unsettled outlook. i like the heat and warmth, but i dont like the june monsoon. from a working outdoors pov, id probably prefer the cool fresh northwesterly which has been very nice some days in the strong sun, to grey, wet, muggy, conditions even if its warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its another horrible cool and damp start here. Despite the ECM backing down overnight, we still have a couple of summery days to come this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Mushy, my mother tells me it snowed in early June 1975. I was a babe in arms so cannot remember! Is this true anyone?

Posted

Mushy, my mother tells me it snowed in early June 1975. I was a babe in arms so cannot remember! Is this true anyone?

Derby V Lancs   "Snow stopped play" lol.

Posted

Even Friday's heat vanishing completely now, this is such a joke after the decent April, still not reached 20c here this year! and every weekend has had the exact same weather pattern, cool 11-14c Saturday, weather front Sunday grey till 6pm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well...the high heat shown in yesterdays outputs increasingly confining itself to the SE and getting swept away more quickly in the 6z gfs.

I think I know where this is heading with 4-5 days still to get there :laugh:

At least it shows high pressure trying to build back in after.

• Like 2